Dog Collars

Oscar (AmBull)

My 9 month old has recently began to lose hair under his chin/neck, I am fairly certain it is due to the collar. It is now patchy and red so we have taken the collar off. His current Collar is a Rogz, just like the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/Rogz-Reflective-Dog-...;color_name=7-3

So I am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for better collars and where to purchase? Thanks.

I think it is rubbing. The chain section has always turned his fur blackish but never hair loss. He has had the collar for quite sometime now with no problems. Only thing I am worried about is the strength of the collars? He is quite the puller and we are in the process of correcting this, he is extremely strong. They look exactly what I need otherwise.

Hi NewAmstaffOwner.

Your pup has grown into a lovely lad.

Re the collar, what he wears when he is in the yard (if he needs to wear anything at all) can and usually should be a totally different collar to what he wear for walking in.

Collars that are worn in the yard are for identification if the dog escapes or for a quick grab and guide if need be in and around the home for behaviour and training purposes.

Collars for walking are a different requirement and usually a different collar is used, to indicate to the dog that he is now expected to behave in a different manner.

Find a collar that does not cause rubbing issues for long term use in the yard, if you really need one at all.

My dogs never wear collars in the yard, but my yard is very secure, not visible from the street and my dogs are well trained, so I do not need to grab and guide. I do not recommend no collar if your circumstances are different.

For walking find something that is strong and that you feel secure and comfortable with. As far as your lad being strong and pulling, these are merely training issues and can be overcome within a few short sessions of quality training. Of course he is strong, but this has nothing to do with him pulling. A dog trained to walk nicely on a loose leash can be several times stronger than your boy, but still walk very easily and gently on a loose leash. Your boy is pulling as it is getting him where he wants to go.

My 52 and 40 kg dogs are strong, but can be walked with one finger on a loose lead with a soft fixed collar, or no collar at all at heel, because I put in the time and effort to train them this way. And it is easy and takes little time. You can do this too. I know you are working on this, so that is terrific.

May I suggest searching "loose leash walking". If you put in the effort, you will be rewarded with a happy dog and a happy owner walking with a confident and secure feeling. it doesn't get much better than that.

:welcome:

I wish you best of luck. You will be surprised how easy this is to achieve.

Edited by dyzney

I also use different collars for wearing around with ID tags on and walking.

My dogs are walked in martingales, but there tag collars are soft fixed ones.

The 2 hound collars are very strong. The customer service is fantastic, shoot her off an email telling her what you are after and she will tell you if that is what they can make.

I would invest in a flat collar for home and a mratingale (or whatever you use) for walking.

I have some small name disks made up for the martingales with their name vets number and my number, just in case! They are the mini size.

I wouldn't leave any collar on a dog, especially one that can tighten up so easily.

If you must leave a collar on, look up 'break away collars' which are much safer to use. You can also do a search of this forum for dogs that have choked to death with a collar left on.