Your Typical Xmas Story?

DogCat

Steve and I bought a black labrador today

He is lovely!

We paid $795.00 for him and we also bought him a bed, bowls, shampoo, toys etc

We thought it was a good time to buy one as we are on holidays, so he will have time to bond with us.

His name is Jet

There are a lot of people congratulating her on getting her Labrador as well as giving her advice.

Then this..

Bad news everyone

The reason I haven't been giving any updates is because we had to take Jet back to the pet shop.

I am very upset over the whole thing and have not wanted to discuss it as it has been too painful.

We were having a very hard time with things. We discussed things about Jet regarding what he would be like being left alone when we are both at work for over 9 hours a day. It just would not have been fair on the little guy....I couldn't put him through it, it would be far too long a time for him to be kept in the laundry.

We couldn't keep him outside as he was digging, he was eating and ripping up all our plants, generally running a muck.

We made the mistake of buying him from a pet shop too as he was only used to going to the toilet in his bed. If we got him from a breeder this may not have been the case. We tried for hours and hours a day to get him to go to the toilet outside, while sometimes it worked, 90% of the time it didn't.

Anyway that is not the reason we couldn't keep him. We should have thought about how long he would have to be on his own all the time during the week, 5 days a week. We put him in the laundry for 10 minutes and he could not handle it.

I am very down and have been in some sort of depression all of yesterday and today, I am finding the fact that he is not here very distressing and this is why I could not bring myself to say anything, but now you all know.

Poor puppy!He lasted a total of about 5 days in this household and from what I can make out it was because he was being a puppy and wasnt well behaved & perfect for this person.I think this persons ideal perfect pet should be a goldfish.And he came from a petshop too.. :)

Oops,sorry I got this FROM HERE while I was browsing through it for a recipe.It has made me feel very annoyed that all she is getting is the sympathy in here too.

(Not sure if Im allowed to give that link but if not,admin/MODS please delete it & give me a smack. :rofl: )

Edited by Troy
Link removed

Yeah what else would you expect from a puppy, especially a lab puppy! And they are just being that.. puppies. Shyla didn't cope well with being alone but you teach them in small intervals and they stop crying and screaming.. I guess some people don't jump on google and look up every little problem they have like I do!

Poor pup, I hope he gets a forever home next. At least they realized that buying from a breeder is the better option, but it took the purchase and return of a puppy to realize that

:) Sigh! Really! Some people should be suffocated at birth! What do you think a pup is going to do/be? A model dog from day one? With no training or input from you? Let's not discuss leaving it alone for most of day...

Honestly, I'm a first time owner, I spent years (no exaggeration, 2.5 at least) researching which breed would be most suitable for my lifestyle and situation. I went to puppy school without a dog to see different breeds and how they turn out. I even went to the local kennel club to check out different breeds and watch the obedience and agility classes offered there. Doing a lot of computer work for my vet I've followed some pups for 2 or more years - watching and learning! While I realise I am not normal, surely people do some research (or at least THINK) before going out and getting an animal, You don't buy a dog on impulse, do you?

Poor pup, I hope he gets a forever home next. At least they realized that buying from a breeder is the better option, but it took the purchase and return of a puppy to realize that

Hope he gets one too.But what Im wondering about is if you get your pups from a breeder are they already trained not to 'toilet' in their bed?

Yes,Im thankful at least she did return him though.

Slightly OT, but we ended up at a pet shop last week ( we generally don't, but needed something), and we heard a woman (mother with kids in tow) ask where are all the cute puppies??

The pet shop owner answered with that there will be some soon, but they don't sell them over Christmas, as they find that the puppies often get dumped during this time :champagne: Hubby said to me, but they sell them all the other times grrrr ! but I guess unlike other pet shops that would thrive on selling them over that particular time, least there's one that doesn't. Not that it still justifies selling them for the rest of the year :birthday:

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

Slightly OT, but we ended up at a pet shop last week ( we generally don't, but needed something), and we heard a woman (mother with kids in tow) ask where are all the cute puppies??

The pet shop owner answered with that there will be some soon, but they don't sell them over Christmas, as they find that the puppies often get dumped during this time :champagne: Hubby said to me, but they sell them all the other times grrrr ! but I guess unlike other pet shops that would thrive on selling them over that particular time, least there's one that doesn't. Not that it still justifies selling them for the rest of the year :birthday:

My guess is the real reason they don't sell them over the Christmas period is because of all the days they would be shut, and have to make extra tips in the clean and feed the puppies. They probably wanted a break over Christmas :cheers:

Perhaps that sounds a bit cynical, but if they are selling them throughout the year with no conscience, then I canot imagine why a few extra dumped puppies would bother them. Just sounds like a nice excuse, to male them sound like ethical pet shop puppy sellers to members of the public.

Edited by dyzney

My guess is the real reason they don't sell them over the Christmas period is because of all the days they woild be shut, and have to make extra tips in the clean and feed the puppies. They probably wanted a break over Christmas :champagne:

Perhaps that sounds a bit cynical, but if they are selling them throughout the year with no conscience, then I canot imagine why a few extra dumped puppies would bother them. Just sounds like a nice excuse, to male them sound like ethical pet shop puppy sellers to members of the public.

Yeah you could have a valid point there dyzney! My Husband said there must be more to it....

Hope he gets one too.But what Im wondering about is if you get your pups from a breeder are they already trained not to 'toilet' in their bed?

Yes,Im thankful at least she did return him though.

Dogs/puppies are clean animals by nature and will not toilet in their 'den'. Buying a puppy from a breeder will not guarantee you that the puppy isn't going to toilet in their bed -but it will GREATLY reduce the chances of it happening.

The difference is that a breeder will no doubt allow the puppies space to toilet AWAY from their sleeping area as soon as they are able to. This might mean on some paper at the other end of their area, or even outside. Doesn't mean the pups are toilet trained but it does mean that they are headed in the right direction.

Puppies on pet shops are another matter. The poor things are confined to a tiny space day and night from a very young age. They have no other option but to toilet in their sleeping area and it becomes 'normal'. It's going to be a hell of a lot harder to toilet train a pet shop puppy than one from a responsible breeder....

Personally I think that these people did the right thing in returning the pup to the pet shop and realising their mistake. As has already been said, they could have just thrown him out in the back yard like so many others do :champagne: Or even worse, dumped him :birthday:

At least they had the sense to realise that they should NOT have bought from a pet shop. And if they do decide later down the track to get another puppy hopefully they will go through a breeder who will ask them enough questions to know if they REALLY understand the needs of a new pup.

:champagne: Sigh! Really! Some people should be suffocated at birth! What do you think a pup is going to do/be? A model dog from day one? With no training or input from you? Let's not discuss leaving it alone for most of day...

Honestly, I'm a first time owner, I spent years (no exaggeration, 2.5 at least) researching which breed would be most suitable for my lifestyle and situation. I went to puppy school without a dog to see different breeds and how they turn out. I even went to the local kennel club to check out different breeds and watch the obedience and agility classes offered there. Doing a lot of computer work for my vet I've followed some pups for 2 or more years - watching and learning! While I realise I am not normal, surely people do some research (or at least THINK) before going out and getting an animal, You don't buy a dog on impulse, do you?

Wow...I wish there were more first puppy buyers like you, that would be great.

I really feel for this poor lab puppy, how sad

How about someone (very nicely) points out the pros and cons of having a westie. I have terriers (MS) and they are a handful. If she can't handle a few days of pee insuide and destruction, she ain't gunno like a terrier.

How about someone (very nicely) points out the pros and cons of having a westie. I have terriers (MS) and they are a handful. If she can't handle a few days of pee insuide and destruction, she ain't gunno like a terrier.

"Puppies on pet shops are another matter. The poor things are confined to a tiny space day and night from a very young age. They have no other option but to toilet in their sleeping area and it becomes 'normal'."

Thanks for this Secretkei,but surely even if it does take a bit longer then,it shouldnt be a reason for giving him back?

Cuchalain,Im sorry I didnt comment on your post but yes I agree with Newfsie too. :champagne:

Oh dear Aint Westies & please correct me if Im wrong a bit of a high maintenaince breed.They have long fur and being white Im sure he will get dirty quick and well mess up her house?IMO,this person shouldnt be even thinking of any sort of dog to own fullstop.

Megan,hopefully someone who owns a Westie from here or there can do a nice post informing her of the terrier traits maybe. :champagne:

Well that puppy buyer has now moved on from the beautiful lab pup (I saw the pics) and is now asking about West Highland Terriers. :champagne:

So they have gone from thinking it wasn't ok to leave the lab puppy alone for hours locked in the laundry to now wanting a WHT... Do they thinking that a WHT (or any dog for that matter) will be ok locked in the laundry for nine hours every day...Poor dog i do hope they don't get one..

Edited by MissMolly