Very Old Dog Breed Book (link)

Ausvarg FL

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting indeed. Do you know what I noticed though... The dogs who are more hunting/working type dogs (Deerhound, Setters, Terriers, etc) have not changed much at all, but the 'less useful' (for want of a better word! LOL!) dogs, the 'pretty' dogs have changed HEAPS! Look at that gorgeous Bulldog. :)

ETA: Did you see the branding on some of the hunting dogs?

Edited by Kirty

I didn't find an Australian shepherd, but i love how much of the working breeds remain similiar.. collies etc.

Book was published before the Australian Shepherd even had a Breed Club in America the breed was still being established.

It looks to me as though the poodles pictured may have had a coarser coat - certainly they look a good deal "scruffier" than the Poodles you see in the showring nowadays (athough not as scruffy as my 2 reprobates :) )

I particularly noticed the nice, straight back on the German Shepherd - doesn't have that "deformed" sloping-back look that GSDs have now.

In the "BBC program that will not be name", there were some examples of dogs from decades ago and one of the saddest changes to me was the Basset Hound. The Basset Hound of the late 1800s was absolutely gorgeous. Nothing like the dog of today.

I used to see a basset at dog school - and totally agree with you. The basset pictured in this book is by FAR a better looking dog.

Some changes surprised me - the schnauzer in particular. Not being a "trendy" breed, I thought it would have stayed much the same? Interesting comment about its temperament a nervous dog!

Edited by megan_

Great book. Huge changes in the boxer, but it was a very "young" breed then. I'll take the ones we have today, thanks.

No Cavaliers, only King Charles Spaniels - "Toy Spaniels"

Edited by Jed