Very Old Dog Breed Book (link)

Ausvarg FL

I love that white corded standard poodle. Dreads are so much work to keep clean though. I have only ever groomed one puli that was corded and it took forever to get out all the little burs and sticks and leaves it had picked up in it's coat. I think you would have to be pretty dedicated to keep a white standard in cords looking good. Maybe one day for me as I do love that look. :laugh:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an interesting fact. The guy that owns that white standard poodle will cord your poodle for you. You have to leave the dog with him for 6-10 months and it's $500 set up fee and then $18 per day boarding PLUS bathing and drying. He said if the cords don't take straight away your dog will be there for closer to a year :laugh: Sorry no fashion statement is worth giving my dog to someone else for a year :laugh:

Here's the link if your interested http://cordedpoodle.net/letmecordyourpoodle.html.

Edited by Crazy Daisy

I showed the picture of the corded Poodle to my OH & asked if we should get out boys done like that - empthatic NO.

I do think that white corded Poodle is gorgeous, but obviously a lot of work has gone into that look

Edited by poodlemum

And the poodle is in the french section when I thought they were actually german in origin?

Yes, either German or Russian NOT French :)

Interesting how many people think the older style dogs look better!

"Better" = "moderate" in a lot of cases. More isn't always more. :thumbsup:

Oh WOW

The Flat Coated Retriever is a photo of Stevie! The description doesn't talk about stealing socks and walking with a wiggly prance, but otherwise that's her!

She's supposed to be Goldie X Lab.

Photos of modern Flat Coated Retrievers that I've just googled look lighter in chest, neck and head/jowls.

ETA just saw that the Kelpie was known as the Barb - and is supposed to be pure black?

Edited by Katdogs

In the "BBC program that will not be name", there were some examples of dogs from decades ago and one of the saddest changes to me was the Basset Hound. The Basset Hound of the late 1800s was absolutely gorgeous. Nothing like the dog of today.

I used to see a basset at dog school - and totally agree with you. The basset pictured in this book is by FAR a better looking dog.

The basset? They show six breeds of Basset, most of them rough coats. Where have they all gone?

And the poodle is in the french section when I thought they were actually german in origin?

Yes, either German or Russian NOT French :thumbsup:

Poodles are still listed as French breed in the FCI catalogue.

FCI 9th group

Edited by felix

In the "BBC program that will not be name", there were some examples of dogs from decades ago and one of the saddest changes to me was the Basset Hound. The Basset Hound of the late 1800s was absolutely gorgeous. Nothing like the dog of today.

I used to see a basset at dog school - and totally agree with you. The basset pictured in this book is by FAR a better looking dog.

The basset? They show six breeds of Basset, most of them rough coats. Where have they all gone?

The Rough Coated Basset of Brittany is now in Australia as Basset Fauve de Bretagne although it only has a solid tawny red coat without any white markings. The Rough Coated Basset of Vendee is the Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen. If anything the contemporary versions of these Bassets are more moderate than their depictions in the breed book. They've certainly had a more fortunate development than the poor old Basset Hound.

Yes, either German or Russian NOT French :)

Poodles are still listed as French breed in the FCI catalogue.

FCI 9th group

hehe - I will still mainatin, with my DYING breath that they are NOT French :(

hehe - I will still mainatin, with my DYING breath that they are NOT French :(

And I will chain myself to a suitable edifice in support. :)

The French may have popularised the smaller poodles and are largely credited for developing the white poodles but they are German in origin. Even the name is a derivative of the German "pudel".

Wow!

The coat of the Airedale has got me intrigued. Perhaps they shaved him before the photo was taken :eek:

I love the conformation of the Bedlington too - I don't recall seeing Bedlingtons in old books before.

The Scottish Terrier has also had the coat clipped so to the poster who said he had legs, yes he does, just like todays Scottish terriers have legs! The legs of today's Scottish Terriers are hidden under a very LONG coat that reaches almost to the ground.

The different style of grooming gives a very different look to a dog.

I much prefer the style of Shelties of yesteryear to today's specimens. They looked terrific back then.

Generally speaking, the body shape of the Bassets and the Dachsies is much the same as it is today, so we cant be blamed for shortening their legs! :eek:

What a lovely book. So many dogs of all sorts, and with good photos too!

Thank you very much for posting it here - it's great to see old books digitised now.

hehe - I will still mainatin, with my DYING breath that they are NOT French :eek:

And I will chain myself to a suitable edifice in support. :eek:

The French may have popularised the smaller poodles and are largely credited for developing the white poodles but they are German in origin. Even the name is a derivative of the German "pudel".

Now now, peace on earth and all that, can we just settle for them being "European"? :eek:

I grew up knowing them as French Poodles and later got hammered many times for uttering that name, so to me they are now just Poodles. They could be found in many countries in Europe apparently.

Souff

hehe - I will still mainatin, with my DYING breath that they are NOT French :eek:

And I will chain myself to a suitable edifice in support. :mad

Now now, peace on earth and all that, can we just settle for them being "European"? :eek:

I grew up knowing them as French Poodles and later got hammered many times for uttering that name, so to me they are now just Poodles. They could be found in many countries in Europe apparently.

Souff

It's just that, if you've ever had any dealings with a Frenchman/Woman, you'll know that they are THE MOST ARROGANT ar*eholes. We once sold a puppy to a Frenchman (my ex's decision, not mine) who assured us "I know all about ze Poodles - my mother used to breed miniature Poodles" didn't matter how much I told him that Standards were quite different - he knew better! They ended up giving the bitch to some friends when she was nearly a year old as "she was too big for their yard" :eek:

BTW - I registed that bitch as "Rainbow Warrior" :eek:

Edited by poodlemum

Souff

I think the French, the Russians and the Germans would have some issues with that! Or maybe we should just call them Euro Poodles now. :eek: