Easy E-collar?

Azzachazza

Hi all, :laugh:

Why I ask is that Nala is going to need a collar for when unsupervised (Dry irritated skin on her back near her tail, which she bites.). But When she is out playing and eating bones, I dont want the collar on her.

I have had some experience with the plastic ones with the fabric tie on the base. These are ok, but very fiddly and the plastic connecting parts aren't that strong.

Wondering if there are any other types available, that are better suited for frequent fitting and removal.

Regards,

Aaron

Are you talking about an Elizabethan collar? With the one we got from the vet, we just threaded a normal flat collar through the slots at the bottom. To remove it, we unclipped the collar and slipped it over the head. It was pretty easy.

We found it very strong, but it did break when he ran full pelt into a doorway :laugh::cry:

Edited by wuffles

Are you talking about an Elizabethan collar? With the one we got from the vet, we just threaded a normal flat collar through the slots at the bottom. To remove it, we unclipped the collar and slipped it over the head. It was pretty easy.

We found it very strong, but it did break when he ran full pelt into a doorway :):)

Yeah that sounds like a good idea with the flat collar. I think thats what I'll do :D

Is this to be a permanent thing- or until treatment takes effect? Depending on teh cause- there may be something which can help her to not need to want to chew....

No not permanent. Just until she stops mouthing the area and it heals up. She has terribly dry skin on her back near her tail. She has been biting and its started to bleed at spots. I have tried everything from Alloveeen to olive oil topically, and flaxseed and fish oil orally. I think the fish oil and olive oil has helped. Im a bit sus about the alloveen though...

Hi all, :)

Why I ask is that Nala is going to need a collar for when unsupervised (Dry irritated skin on her back near her tail, which she bites.). But When she is out playing and eating bones, I dont want the collar on her.

I have had some experience with the plastic ones with the fabric tie on the base. These are ok, but very fiddly and the plastic connecting parts aren't that strong.

Wondering if there are any other types available, that are better suited for frequent fitting and removal.

Regards,

Aaron

Sounds like a flea allergy that can be treated by getting rid of the fleas.....?

I like the soft e-collars, however you're hard pressed to find them here unless you can find someone whose seen them, I ordered one in from the States:

13406.jpg

We have one which has several rows of holes to allow correct sizing and little clippy things that hold it together, easy to fit and remove... has been very good although has a split we've taped up. I haven't been able to get another one exactly the same although the vet sells one similar.

those soft ones look intriguing ...

eta - the one we have is translucent which I think helps with navigation.

Edited by dwynwen

Azzachazza- stopping the dog chewing without correctly diagnosing/treating the problem is possibly not the best solution

It will still itch, but now she is unable to scratch it- how annoying will that be :D

What did the vet say may have caused it?

That particular area is the classic spot for a flea-based problem.

The dog flea likes that spot- as dogs don't get a real good go at them there. It only takes one bite if the dog is sensitive...and then it's chew/itch/chew :)

The more things you apply, without using the correct one- the more you could be irritating that spot :)

Aloe Vera is very soothing on the skin..

Fish oil etc will help- but oral supplements take some time to work.

Azzachazza- stopping the dog chewing without correctly diagnosing/treating the problem is possibly not the best solution

It will still itch, but now she is unable to scratch it- how annoying will that be :rolleyes:

What did the vet say may have caused it?

That particular area is the classic spot for a flea-based problem.

The dog flea likes that spot- as dogs don't get a real good go at them there. It only takes one bite if the dog is sensitive...and then it's chew/itch/chew :)

The more things you apply, without using the correct one- the more you could be irritating that spot :thumbsup:

Aloe Vera is very soothing on the skin..

Fish oil etc will help- but oral supplements take some time to work.

You can buy a spray from the vet is called Cortavance spray solution for dogs, says is for relief of inflammatory skin conditions, aids in the reduction of dematological signs associated with flea allergy dermatitis, but if you are using a good flea treatment monthly and washing dog in a good oatmeal based shampoo and have never seen fleas on dog then it's probably a grass allergy but either way this solution should help.

Edited by mutt lover

Guest Willow

If the home rememdies haven't brought her relief, it would be best to make a trip to the vet. An elizabethan collar will stop her from being able to get to it, but will do nothing to prevent the irritiation. Even if you leave it on long enough so that the skin "heals" as soon as you take it off, if the underlying irritation is still present, the cycle will start all over again.

No not permanent. Just until she stops mouthing the area and it heals up. She has terribly dry skin on her back near her tail. She has been biting and its started to bleed at spots. I have tried everything from Alloveeen to olive oil topically, and flaxseed and fish oil orally. I think the fish oil and olive oil has helped. Im a bit sus about the alloveen though...

Vitamin E oil is good for dry skin. Amolin baby cream (calamine, almond oil, salicylic acid and zinc oxide) is also brilliant and so is Papaw Oinment. The last 2 are available from the supermarket. Keep up with the fish oil :)