Lancashire Heeler

Austerra

And just wait until I add my wirey Vizsla.............. that's gonna be fun :)

That's really going to make introductions quite a mouthful :thumbsup::laugh::eek: Maybe you will need to take a printed fact sheet out with you.

Actually I get the same with my 2 dogs all the time. Gracie, a pretty representative example of a broken coat Jack Russell Terrier, and Maxi, a long legged smooth coat example of the breed. Seems the only ones people recognise is a short legged smooth coat variety.

And just wait until I add my wirey Vizsla.............. that's gonna be fun :)

That's really going to make introductions quite a mouthful :laugh::eek::) Maybe you will need to take a printed fact sheet out with you.

Actually I get the same with my 2 dogs all the time. Gracie, a pretty representative example of a broken coat Jack Russell Terrier, and Maxi, a long legged smooth coat example of the breed. Seems the only ones people recognise is a short legged smooth coat variety.

I dont get bothered i just figure they wont own my breed :thumbsup:

For years our mini schnauzers are scotties.

The irish setters are stupid & the list goes on but such is life.

We pretty much fall over backwards when someone knows either of our breeds. In fact, it's only ever happened at a dog show. It's also a bit embarrassing when we're like "that one's a Lapphund" and then the folks say "And the little one? Is he the same only young?" "er, no, he's a Vallhund. Finnish Lapphund, Swedish Vallhund. Yes, we like hunds."

For some reason people always think Erik is a German Shepherd cross. It bewilders me. They all say he looks like a dwarf shepherd.

For some reason people always think Erik is a German Shepherd cross. It bewilders me. They all say he looks like a dwarf shepherd.

I'll admit the first time I saw a Vallhund, I thought it looked like a GSD head on a corgi shaped body. There's an elderly lady that was showing some in Melbourne and had I not seen them being judged, I would not for a second have assumed they were a purebred.

Holly is a Border Collie or a Coolie, and then when you explain she's an Aussie Shepherd, they "come from Coolies" or "the same as Coolies".

Ruby is always an Airedale. But with only a handful of breeders in Aus I don't blame people for thinking that. :)

When I say Irish Terrier to people who haven't seen her, people always seem to assume I mean an Irish Setter. Even other vet students... now there's a worry. :( A terrier and a setter are VERY different.

Holly is a Border Collie or a Coolie, and then when you explain she's an Aussie Shepherd, they "come from Coolies" or "the same as Coolies".

A couple of years ago at an Aussie speciality show, I was standing watching a ring full of blue merle dogs being judged. It was a very large class, I think it was open dogs or something like that, and they made a spectacular display.

An elderly lady was standing next to me watching as well, and she asked me "What breed are those dogs?" I told her they were Australian Shepherds. She looked a bit bemused and puzzled, watched the dogs for a few more minutes then wandered off saying "Australian Shepherds? Hmmmmmm, I don't think they're supposed to be all fluffy like that!" :(

Thanks for all your comments. I think they would be very interesting to see here, as i've had kelpies for 25 yrs and now aussies (terriers not yankee sheps) I think they would suit me perfectly.

Then go check out Swedish Vallhunds! That's what the photo I posted is, only he's the wrong colour and they are meant to be sable. They are around the same size and are also cattle herders.

The Lancashires are about 1/2 weight of Vallhunds at approx 6 kg and only 25 - 30 cm in height. Actually very happy with my Aussies & Kelpie, but the Lancashire Heeler just caught my attention as hadn't even come across this breed in books before.

When I volunteered at RSPCA a dog came in that the vets had decided was a "corgi x husky" :eek: , one look for anyone that knows breeds could tell it was a Swedish Vallhund.

A terrier and a setter are VERY different.

ont worry you would be surprised in how many vets have no clue about breeds :eek:

Don't think I would be, there are so many in our group that don't know much about breeds and can't tell alot apart. Oh well, I don't know much about cattle or sheep... But I'm not planning on being a large animal vet either.