Lancashire Heeler

Austerra

lots of info here-

LINK

not australian tho.

kinda like a corgi/kelpie ... :laugh:

thanks, had already visited this site. They remind me of a little xbreed I had years ago, that was a kelpie x foxie x dachshund x something. Thought maybe some Brit expats may have some personal knowledge of them.

we board 2 jack russell crosses that could be easily mistaken for them but there not.thats why i say they look like mutts .

One of the International Junior Handler finalists at Crufts got this breed as there swap dog & it was a good little hardy thing.

The look on the handlers face(a friend) was priceless because like many people he had never seen one & there not reconized in there country.

Funnily enough he won the event

Have seen them in the Uk,Interesting dogs,they look like a mutt from the pound .

There are a few breeds I've seen in the show ring here that one could say the same about. But then I suppose it's all in the details, I had my gorgeous, wonderful, perfectly pedigreed boy call a "kelpie--crossy-thingo" by someone who should have known better.

Have seen them in the Uk,Interesting dogs,they look like a mutt from the pound .

There are a few breeds I've seen in the show ring here that one could say the same about. But then I suppose it's all in the details, I had my gorgeous, wonderful, perfectly pedigreed boy call a "kelpie--crossy-thingo" by someone who should have known better.

Its fact that is exactly what they look like when you see them in real life.

If you truly had no idea they where a breed they simply look like a combo of many things .

There very popular & we saw them at Crufts.

The photos dont do them justice because when they walk they look different again.

We have one in our flyball team, he also competes in UD, his name is Stuart Little

Stuart isn't actually a Lancashire Heeler, I have no idea why she thinks he is but they are not a breed in Australia as yet :laugh:

Ok, didnt know that, he looks very similar then, I dont know anything about the breed :laugh:

Feel your pain GayleK, if I had a dollar for every time someone has asked what cross Bronte is I'd be rich by now and she's only ten months. The best one was on Sunday, "is she a Border Collie x Greyhound." Its funny stuff, but gets exhausting to explain what she is as she attracts a lot of attention. I ashamedly must admit I often dumb it down a to "she's a short coat Collie, like Lassie but with a haircut" - forgive me DOLers.

Unusual little dogs aren't they. Never heard of them before, but given that I was born in Lancashire I'm going to keep an eye out for them now when I'm back in the UK. I wonder if they have had any influence on our Kelpies of long ago?

They are also known as the 'Ormskirk Heeler' as that was the market town where they developed (only 10 miles from where I live!).

They are prone to eye problems (think it is PRA), it was a breeder of them I met at the eye vets who told me this.

Come in black/tan and brown/tan.

In the UK they are in the pastoral group

Meh. You get used to it! With us having Border Terriers and the collie smooth..... you feel like cuddling anyone who knows what breed they are LMAO.

And just wait until I add my wirey Vizsla.............. that's gonna be fun :rolleyes:

Feel your pain GayleK, if I had a dollar for every time someone has asked what cross Bronte is I'd be rich by now and she's only ten months. The best one was on Sunday, "is she a Border Collie x Greyhound." Its funny stuff, but gets exhausting to explain what she is as she attracts a lot of attention. I ashamedly must admit I often dumb it down a to "she's a short coat Collie, like Lassie but with a haircut" - forgive me DOLers

LOL we do the 'Lassie with a haircut" thing too. When Nessa was a puppy, people thought she was an AmStaff????? The most common one she gets though is "Some kind of Collie??" which is close enough.

Had an argument with a rough collie owner a few months back- she was walking her rough puppy and I stopped to say hello etc and explained that we had a smooth collie "Oh, you mean a border collie?" "No, a smooth Collie, close cousin to the rough" "OH! One of those cross breeds" the conversation went on and on about how we were ripped off etc :) I guess all those judges are idiots then hey? Awarding a mongrel...

Also, I think it really throws people off when we say we have Border Terriers and a Collie smooth. They hear "Border" and "Collie" :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your comments. I think they would be very interesting to see here, as i've had kelpies for 25 yrs and now aussies (terriers not yankee sheps) I think they would suit me perfectly.

Then go check out Swedish Vallhunds! That's what the photo I posted is, only he's the wrong colour and they are meant to be sable. They are around the same size and are also cattle herders.