As I Walk Through My Suburb

poodlefan

Or maybe only a little bit. Even though I have exchanges like this:

Me walking all dogs on lead along cycle path. Up comes an offlead large pilar erect staffy mix with his owners strolling behind him. I put Howard the Happy on point and call out to them

Me: Could you call your dog please

Owner: Oh he's fine.

Me: One of mine is dog aggressive.

Owner: Oh we don't mind if your dog has a go at him. Yours are only small.

Me: Well I mind!

Owner: [pauses] Well he doesn't look very aggressive!

Me: How aggressively would you like him to behave?

Owner: Wanders off.

Bring on winter when I can return to the bush.

Edited by poodlefan

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just simply inconsiderate to cause other people to be uncomfortable or scared. Even if their dogs are the best behaved in the universe, if they are walking on a foot path they need to leash their dogs so other people feel safe. How are other people meant to know how the dogs are going to react to them? grrrrr it gets me so angry just thinking about it.. where's the common decency.

Or maybe only a little bit. Even though I have exchanges like this:

Me walking all dogs on lead along cycle path. Up comes an offlead large pilar erect staffy mix with his owners strolling behind him. I put Howard the Happy on point and call out to them

Me: Could you call your dog please

Owner: Oh he's fine.

Me: One of mine is dog aggressive.

Owner: Oh we don't mind if your dog has a go at him. Yours are only small.

Me: Well I mind!

Owner: [pauses] Well he doesn't look very aggressive!

Me: How aggressively would you like him to behave?

Owner: Wanders off.

Bring on winter when I can return to the bush.

:laugh: Now there's an idiot that needs to be removed from the gene pool!

Not an idiot I don't think. Just someone who hasn't thought it through. Honestly, the dog didn't look like the type to meekly accept another dog having a go at him.

Last dog that got in Darcy's face was all prepared to have a serious go back before I grabbed the lead off the kid and strung it up. :rofl:

But who'd want to encourage a dog to behave aggressively anyway? :laugh: It's not the first time I've had someone say something along the lines of "mine needs to be taught". Not by my dog they don't.

Edited by poodlefan

some on pf you you know ya wanta "bite" them.

with sexy leo when we go to town i get "aren't you gunna breed him"

i always say "yeah when i glue his nuts back on"

i go by the theory silly question silly answer. :laugh::rofl: ;)

or the other one....... isn't it great he's so well behaved.... yeah born that way like children!

Maybe just ask them for their contact details and if the fine (for having a dog off-leash in an on-leash area) will be paid in cash or credit ... works for me ... especially when I pretend to take their photo with my mobile :laugh:

PF we must be neighbours you should drop in for a cuppa!

I find if I go out really early in the morning there's only one off-lead walker and she knows to put her dog on-lead if she sees me coming. If I go any other time though I almost always have the same exchange as the OP. I've thought about doing what Tilly does too. It seems my neighbourhood has no ranger enforcing the laws, maybe I need to set up a vigilante group! :laugh:

maybe I need to set up a vigilante group! :laugh:

You start it and I'll join - Zero has been attacked by 2 border collies, a (quite elderly) staffy x and a couple of "oodles", not because these dogs were particularly dog aggressive but because Zero used to go off his rocker at them and they were off leash with owners who didn't think their dog would be a problem. It wasn't their dog, it was mine who would start it but having their dogs off leash meant that I couldn't finish it! :rofl:

I feel your pain PF. ;)

My approach works - warn said owners to keep their dogs the F#$% away from me in the future otherwise they will be reported.

Owner 1 leaves the park when he sees me enter (his staffy ripped open Boo's ear).

Owner 2 puts his dog on lead (GSD rushes Boo and has bitten his face). If it happens again, no doubt he will exit the park upon my arrival too. BTW he tells me his dog is only playing...

Yep happens to me all the time :)

Last time luckily they did call their dog without arguing about it - dog was running towards Zoe off lead :) and I said "My dog is not friendly, can you call your dog please!" repeated it twice I think before they called it. Was a BC that looked like it just wanted to visit but unfortunately Zoe doesn't like visitors.

I was going to post something similar this morning.

Last night my son and I were walking with the 3 girls.

6yo GSDxRotty, 6yo pit and 2yo AmStaff.

We rounded a corner and there is a well dressed lady with a long haired black type of dog who is offleash.

(This is right out the front of the Aged Care Home)

The lady in long skirt, sandals, rose coloured pink blouse and her hair in a bun starts to call her dog, which has it's head down, body streamlined and is stalking towards us. She sounded panicky so we walked onto the road and stopped, allowing her to get her dog to sit while she put in onleash.

She gets it onleash and is trying to tell it to sit but it is just ignoring her, so we stay on the road. She starts walking and like a bomb this dog just goes ballistic. (I have seen some bad dogs but this thing was totally wild and going beserk)

It just started jumping and pulling towards us, snarling and growling, thrashing about on it's leash and she was screaming at it.

It began dragging her onto the grass and she was rolling the leash round and round her hands trying to hold onto it.

I stopped to wait for my son to get infront of me (away from the dog) as I was worried if it got off it would go for him and his 2yo AmStaff. (who was tilting her head side to side watching the dog like she was confused)

When my son was clear, quite shocked by the dogs behaviour I said (calmly) "Wow, he really needs a muzzle"

Lady says "What!" I say "he really needs a muzzle, you've lost control of him and if he gets away from you he's going to do damage"

Lady yells " oh, F-off c^%t" I just stood there blinking then said "it's illegal for you to have him out like that" Lady yells "F-off you c^&t"

I said "no honest. He is aggressive and should be kept onleash and muzzled" Lady (who now has the dog standing on his back legs by holding his choker chain at shoulder height and is strangling the poor dog, and is managing to drag him away) screams "F-Off or I'll let him go you c^&t" I just stood there looking like a dimwit as she dragged him away still screaming out a long line of abuse and vulgar language.

Now I was talking really calm and was more shocked that 1) she would have a dog like that offleash (infront of an aged care home!?!?)

2)she didn't already have a muzzle on him

3)she was in a skirt and sandals while walking him, as she was tripping in her skirt and slipping in her sandals. (you would think knowing how he behaved she would have dressed appropriately)

4) just the way the dog was acting.

5) the language that came out of a well dressed well-to-do looking woman (especially infront of my son and the people at the aged care home)

6) her threatening to let the dog go at us.

I was really quite dumbfounded at her reaction. We began quite a way apart and the dog had dragged her to within 10 feet of us. She had no control and NO IDEA what to do with him. It wasn't until she was far enough away for me to turn my back on her and continue our walk that I realised there were my girls (GSDX and Pit) sitting quietly on each side of me watching the whole affair. My pit (who is quite a snob) was looking off in the distance like she was disgusted and the GSDX was wiggling her bum, smiling at me and whimpering (probably hoping to get permission to attack)

I have never seen this lady/dog before so not sure if they are here on holidays, just moved in or maybe lives up another area and was extending her walks. I certainly hope I never see her again. I should have remembered my phone. Usually if we have problems with a dog who's owner is an 'idiot' I take photo's or a quick clip if possible and report it. This time I was just too dumbfounded!!!

Edited by Nannas

Yep happens to me all the time :)

Last time luckily they did call their dog without arguing about it - dog was running towards Zoe off lead :) and I said "My dog is not friendly, can you call your dog please!" repeated it twice I think before they called it. Was a BC that looked like it just wanted to visit but unfortunately Zoe doesn't like visitors.

OT but I got to meet your lovely dogs recently!

It's just simply inconsiderate

It's not inconsiderate. It's downright moronic and irresponsible

I agree, I have a friend I walk with in the evenings who is working very hard (under a behaviourist) to rehabilitate her fear aggressive dog. We walk every night on leash and he is coming along really well.

However there are several "regulars" who insist on walking their dogs off leash in our suburb. I have tried the nice approach, I have tried picking up one particular small dog who rushes us and handing it back to the owner telling them to put their dog on a leash, my friend has tried to say her dog has issues with small dogs so please put your dog on a lead, the response is "so your dog is a killer then".

It is so unfair on people trying to do the right thing that people just won't put their dog on a lead in a public place.

I also wish people would keep their kids under control too. Over the xmas period I lost count of how many strange children rushed up to us and bear hugged my dog before I had a chance to stop it. Now he loves it, big smile on his face ever time it happens, but you would think that with all the publicity surrounding dog attacks on children people would be more cautious.

Ive recently had big problems with 2 staffies around the corner from me that are continually out the front of their house....and would you believe the owner is a vet! It ended up getting nasty. After repeatedly asking them to keep their dogs inside, I complained to the council and they ended up being charged with having unregistered dogs and their dogs being declared dangerous after they attacked one of mine. :) How a vet can be so ignorant and irresponsible is just beyond me. Big :) to Geelong city council for their immediate action.

This is a pet peeve of mine. It's taken me almost 3 years to get my boy to the point where he trusts me enough to ignore dogs that race up to us to 'say hello'. He will only ignore them if I tell him to, otherwise they are breaking the rules of CK's little kingdom and will/do get told off.

On a positive note though - we were walking through the bushland/reserve near us the other day and a guy with two Kelpie mixes came running past us with his dogs off lead. They looked at my two (who were on lead at that point) and then kept running with him - without approaching us. Very well controlled dogs.

I don't have a problem with anyone having their dogs off lead (away from a road) as long as they do have complete control over their dogs. I will walk either of mine off lead like that, but together they just can't be trusted not to get too far away from me so they stay on lead.

My favourite line for people with dogs saying hello is 'You might just want to keep an eye one your dog/s - these two are just getting over Kennel cough and the vet says they should be alright, but it could still be contagious.'