Troy

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Troy,

that Breed standard you have put up is the old standard, a few things have changed since that one,

including heights and tail description,

the new one came out in January along with the name change.

;)

Edited by Libertybrook

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I've recently read that you should NEVER take them off leash when out and about and was wondering if this was good advice or just some randoms opinion and false?

Also just curious about what the average price for these lovelies are? (tried looking but couldn't seem to find it)? :)

There is one at my local park and he is fine offleash. He is trained though. Many dogs bark and carry on at him because of his size but he just ignores them. I'd imagine that you'd have to socialize them well so that they learn to cope with the fuss that surrounds them.

I would not say they are a never allowed off lead dog breed like say some of the hounds.

You need to consider the individual dog, but that is the same for any breed. Just remember they are large, strong and solid so a friendly jump or out of control zoomie can cause damage where a smaller dog wouldn’t (I have the bruises to prove it :laugh: ). Also they are a guarding breed so there is a possibility they can react protectively.

I have never had any problems with my boy off lead (admittedly he has not been off lead very often). The rare times we have been to dog off leash parks he has always played happily with the other dogs (he has spent a lot of time with a variety of dogs), and shows little to know interest in the people in the park. I don’t allow him to be off lead around small young dogs (he is so unco with his big boofy feet) and never around children (he has not been exposed to too many and high pitched noises excite him). I’ve found him fairly easy to train and he’s quite orientated towards OH and myself so we have no issues getting him to return to us.

I have definitely noticed some other dogs react negatively towards my boy without provocation; I believe this is a combination of size, coat colour and the other dog’s inability to see his eyes (they have trouble interpreting his intentions).

I did a quick estimate of feeding cost for our 10 month old boy and I’d say we spend about $5-6 and day on feeding. We feed Royal Canin Giant Puppy (15kg bag lasts about a month) supplemented with raw chicken mince and meaty bones. Small price to pay for the pleasure he brings ;) .

Edited by Blonde_Phoenix

Thanks :) Yeah I thought that the being socialized and trained would be different but it seemed they were making a "no matter what they are like/if they are trained" type sweeping statement. I guess it might really just come down to the owner knowing their dog best and if they should or shouldn't.

Don't be put off Errm, BRTs are an amazing dog if you are willing to put the effort in. They are not a breed to get and forget, they are way more intelligent than that. They love to learn, my boy has been all of our trainers favorite (it's just mum who lets him down :o ).