Black Russian Terrier

Troy

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This seems like such a fascinating breed and may I just say their name is so totally deceiving! I was thinking maybe on the larger side of terrier but nothing *that* huge! :)

BRTs seem to be growing in popularity on this board -- well there seems to more of an interest in them anyway.

I can't believe just how much like giant schnauzers they look but there's definite newfie in there too. Can't really see the airdale though, however, that could be because when I hear airdale I picture a black and tan, curly coated square-faced dog.

Didn't read some of the longer posts so I apologise if this has already been answered. I saw that much care needs to be taken during the growing ages (much like newfies) but can they be entered in competitions like flyball or agility or are these sports too strenuous for them?

Keep the pics coming because I'm loving all the photos and more puppy photos too because I bet they're quite darling!!!

Are there many health problems concerning the Black Russian Terrier?

Is the gene pool small in Australia?

I have heard that the BRT in Australia have weak nerves, so they would not get used in security or guard roles, is this correct?

Thank you :)

Hi RiverStar-Aura, BRT is definetely not the best breed for flyball or agility ( too big and too heavy :thumbsup: ). They never will be successful in these competitions. But I know there is one BRT in Russia who is quiet good in agility. I think it is important what kind of temperament your dog has and what kind of body. But they are very successful in obidience and some dogs in IPO.

What would you say about this dog? Can you see Airdale in it? This dog was born in 1989.

post-34015-1302175980_thumb.jpg

Edited by vesper12

Food for thought, yes, but this means for me only one thing - do your homework before buy a puppy. As for me, it is more important to see another pups from parents of my future puppy. To see how they move, to know about health in older age. For example father of my dog has HD- C. In age 8-9 years he moves absolutely perfect, his kids( mostly) have no problem with hips. When my girl was growing she had no problems with joint at all.

Of course it is also extremely important to keep dogs weight in balance and exercise them regularly, slowly increasing intensity of exercising. So the same rules as for any other dogs of large breed.

The gene pool in Australia is very small.

About weak nerves, I have seen only few BRT in Australia, and dogs I saw were balanced and self-confident.

Vesper you've proven me wrong. That guy looks so much like a black airdale it's not funny and doesn't really look schnauzer at all. BRTs seem to be a really fascinating breed but I know from the sounds of things not my type of dog. Maybe later in life but I think they're a bit too big for me.

I'll stick with my Aussie Terriers; much more Riverstar friendly!! :)

• 1 month later...

It was crazy idea to rename it . Breeder's promote BRT for so many years in Australia and somebody just change the name of the breed without notice. I am a breeder of BRT for 20 years and don't want call it differently.

being on a number of committees and member of a few western region clubs and having spoken to numerous local show secretaries and people who do catalogues, they have all said they have had no official notification of the name change :D

and some expressed annoyance of how much of a pain it will be to change Databases etc,

they say they wont be changing anything until they do get official notification, ;)

I got a showing grooming guide off a lovely breeder, Im surprised about the lack of health testing for the BRT.

Not all breeders put their head in the sand, responsible breeders here in Australia and overseas do and are health testing, and have done for a number of years now

you can't tar everyone with the same brush 'Rain '..... :(

you should try it from a cataloguers point of view....you have everything set up with dogs in one order and then they change 2 or 3..gggrrrr

yes I know what you mean EF, So many people I have spoken to wont change anything until they are officially made too,

;)

Edited by Libertybrook

I don't think the fight over the name (and the changes to the breed standard) is over yet......

I guess the Russians have stamped their name over everything hey. (They have also made huge changes to the Central Asian Breed Standard to the point where it can no longer be the same dog, unfortunately they did not change the breed name to Russian Mastiff as imo that would be more apt.)

With the BRT because is a Russian breed I'd be interested to see how BRT breeders challenge the Breed Standard changes given ANKC/FCI policy agreement to follow the country of origin.

I got a showing grooming guide off a lovely breeder, Im surprised about the lack of health testing for the BRT.

Not all breeders put their head in the sand, responsible breeders here in Australia and overseas do and are health testing, and have done for a number of years now

Im not taring everyone with the same brush, it is a shame that hardly any breeders in oz are health testing, i didnt say none were, not many are at all.

Im not taring everyone with the same brush, it is a shame that hardly any breeders in oz are health testing, i didnt say none were, not many are at all.

Sorry Rain, its just that when you have a rare breed and the some of the supposed 'experts' in the breed openly state that they dont health test because there is no need,the "there is nothing wrong with my dog" attitude, it makes me annoyed and frustrated,

I also have Border Collies and we not only hip & elbow score we also DNA test for hereditary diseases,such as TNS, CEA, CL, not only is it the ethical thing to do its also the moral thing to do for the breed. :thumbsup:

its not a matter of finding out if anything is wrong, its making sure we dont create or worsen a problem if there is one :)

Edited by Libertybrook