Need Advice..what Can I Give The Dog?

Freshstart16

Hi, my SIL has a chi x and he has a skin condition of some kind. he is off to the vet tomorrow but until then I want to know what I can do to help relieve the itch.

He has always has sensitive skin,but the last couple of days it has just got so much worse. So far we have tried Malaseb Medicated Wash,Advantage,Frontline (these were applied over a period of a few months) and Polaramine. We think it might be a food allergy, he doesn't have fleas (unless they are invisible). he was feed one of those coles raw hide treats ( which he eaten before) but in the hours following that he was just rolling on the carpet and chewing and biting at himself. It could be that or we are thinking some kind of mite??

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to help relieve this until he sees the vet tomorrow? It's so hard watching him go through this knowing I can't do much until he sees the vet, any advice would be greatly appreciated... :)

If the reaction to the chew was that quick I would be definately suspisious that the treat had caused it.

Is he red and itchy all over? or in spots?

If in spots anything with local anaesthetic in it - rectinol or equivlient, neocort etc.

If all over may a rinse in pure tepid water will help reduce the heat and if it is a contact allergy help wash it off.

Good luck at the vets.

Thanks for the advice :)

His skin is quite warm, but it is very hot here in WA and its just in patches, his hips,legs and at the base of his tail. the bit he has chewed the most is his leg. the hair is starting to come off a little, im trying to be very "onto him" to discourage this ( i dont hit him or yell at him or course just give him a cmon baby stop licking) not that he understands but it gets his attention and distracts him for a moment. :)

I dont know what rectinol or neocort is, but i dont think we have anything like that here, he has had a slight problem with his skin in the past, so I have been told and apparently it flares up in summer, frontline has soothed the itching in the past but even now even thats not working. Malaseb seems to help a little though, so I will give him another bath in the hope that helps until tomorrow. Ill also look up what other stuff has a anaesthetic in it to see if we have anything around the house. Again thankyou for your help. :D

It could be mites or a flea allergy. When there is an allergy to fleas, then it only takes one bit, then everywhere a flea has ever bit flares up, so even out walking a flea could jump up and bite but might not be seen.

Summer indicates flea allergy, seasonal grass allergy, he might have several. Funny it is mostly on the hind-quarters, that would make me lean towards thinking fleas or mites such as one of the Mange mites, which the vet can treat for. Have you tried a product called Revolution?

I am so careful with treats ever since Gracie got violently ill after someone gave her a Schmako. The same Schmako was given to Maxi and he had no reaction. Gracie also gets violently ill (vomiting) from Pigs Ears, again, no reaction from Maxi. With her it might be the smoked bacon flavour?

You see how "individual" it can be.

It might be wise to remove any wool from the bedding, it can harbour fleas and also contain minute traces of vegetation residue, the same goes for Lanolin, also wool can feel itchy on an already inflamed skin.

Use only cotton blankets and sheets, or a poly-cotton comforter for warmth. Cotton is also easier to wash and dry, when fleas are suspected the dogs bedding and other places it hangs out needs to be washed and dried in good strong sunlight.

At this stage, it would be best if the Vet can eliminate mites before trying anything else.

When Maxi gets a "grass itch" I use 1% cortisone creme for humans from the chemist. I rub it in for a minute onto his skin to help it absorb.

My vet advised me to get the anti-histamine tablet, Polaramine, from the chemist, for our little dog who had skin allergy (I think it was 1/2 tablet). But your own vet would have to advise, especially about dosage.

I understand what it's like to watch a dog itch so desperately....& the urge to say 'Stop!'. But, it's so hard for them with that awful itch all over.

Which is why an anti-histamine can help enormously.

Mita, Naomi mentions they have tried Polaramine, so perhaps this points more towards a Mite itch? perhaps combined with some other kinds of sensitivity/reaction/allergy?

That'll teach me to read, Mutta. :) I jumped in too fast because I remember how an anti-histamine saved our dog's sanity (& ours).

You're right. It would be significant if Polaramine didn't work. Maybe the vet will take a skin sample for mites....& perhaps cortisone injections given to give some relief while a cause is investigated.

I'd only wonder about the Polaramine dosage, tho'. I'm racking my memory to remember what it finally was for our little dog. I know it took some fiddling to get it right. It finished up being administered 4 times a day, when the itch was at the worst. And the vet assured me that dogs could tolerate Polaramine very well.

Ah yes the dosage, I didn't think of that. I think with Polaramine you don't need to be too conservative.

Someone sent me this once.

Polaramine: 6mg 1 tablet twice daily - for a 35 kilogram dog - so for a Chi it would need to be scaled down somewhat. Certainly would need to be done with Veterinary guidance, many are now experienced with the off-label dosages.

There was a thread on DOL where people talked about what anti-histamines worked for their dogs. Someone mentioned that there were now 2nd generation anti-histamines, like Zyrtec, as well as the old faithful, Polaramine. Iramine & Claratyne also referred to.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/lofiversion/in...hp/t125139.html

Edited by mita

Our last GSD had polarimine tablets, she was approx 38kg and started at one tablet twice a day, that didn't work so the vet increased it to 2 tablets twice a day, which did work. Dogs can handle a lot more polarimine and it doesn't make them tired.

I have a saved information sheet on dog itchiness, which I have copied below for you. Our previous GSD had allergies, and I used this to help identify her problem, hope it helps you.

There are 2 common reasons for dogs to be itchy- mite infestation & allergic reactions. Mites are diagnosed by skin scrapings & you need to see your vet and its best to get this cleared before starting to look at allergies.

Signs of allergies include chewing at skin, licking, rubbing up, scooting(rubbing bottom along the ground), chewing/licking at feet, chronic ear irritation, chronic watery eyes & sneezing. We can divide skin allergies into 5 general areas:

1) Flea Allergies- usually chewing/scratching around tail base or around neck, but can be itchy anywhere. It takes only 1 flea to cause an allergy, which is why some dogs that have very few fleas can be itchier than a dog with many fleas that isn't allergic. Often seasonal (Spring/Summer), but can be all year round.

2) Food Allergies- often will be itchy around the face, ears and feet, although can be itchy all over. Most common allergens include wheat products (found in most canned and dry foods), beef, and to a lesser degree chicken. Allergies will occur all year round.

3) Contact Allergies- are quite uncommon, and usually affect areas with no or little fur cover eg. abdomen and feet. Allergens include grasses, plants, clothing/carpet fibres and many others. Often seasonal, but can be all year.

4) Inhaled Allergies- are quite common, and affect all areas ie. skin, feet, ears, face, eye, nose etc.. Most common are grass pollens, plant pollens, dust mites, and moulds (found normally in most environments). Often seasonal, but can be all year.

5)Allergies to the normal bacteria found on the skin- called Staph. These often show slightly different signs to other allergies- need a vet to confirm. Often all year round.

All allergies can cause itchiness anywhere, so it is impossible to tell just on appearances which allergen is causing the problem. Many dogs are allergic to several.

TREATMENT There are 2 main options when trying to deal with allergies:-.

1 Discovering the Cause- 2 allergies can be eliminated easily are flea & food.

* a) If fleas are present, it is worthwhile trying to eliminate them first.

* b) If food allergy is suspected, trial dog on low allergy food diet, must be done for 8 weeks, The diet consists of:- Meat that the dog hasn't had before eg. fish, kangaroo, rabbit, - 30% of the meal. Rice- boiled -. 50% of meal. Vegetables -. 20% of meal.

After 8 weeks there should be improvement, if not an allergy test is next. This is a test for inhaled allergens, and tests plants, grasses, trees, dust mites and moulds. Done by blood samples. - if all of the above has been performed to no avail, then a contact allergy, or inhaled allergen not included in the allergy test is most likely. try change of bedding, send dog to a relatives place for 3-4 weeks.

2 Other medications -

* (a) Antihistamines-. these work better with evening primrose oil (1-4 capsules in food) antihistamines to try include:- Phenergan, Periactin, Polaramine, Teldane Contact your vet for dosage, determined by weight.

* (b) Anti-allergy shampoos and conditioners- There are many that help, eg. tea tree preparations, eucalyptus rinses, Quit Itch Lotion & Malaseb, Malaseb should be used fortnightly and left on the dog for 10 minutes when washing, then rinse well.

thankyou so much for the wonderful advice. He seems to be ok for now, its not bothering him too much and i think its a bit late for a bath. hopefully the vet will have some answers tomorrow. I will update when I know whats going on. thanks for the tip about the evening primrose oil. ill give that a go too. :)

Hi, my SIL has a chi x and he has a skin condition of some kind. he is off to the vet tomorrow but until then I want to know what I can do to help relieve the itch.

He has always has sensitive skin,but the last couple of days it has just got so much worse. So far we have tried Malaseb Medicated Wash,Advantage,Frontline (these were applied over a period of a few months) and Polaramine. We think it might be a food allergy, he doesn't have fleas (unless they are invisible). he was feed one of those coles raw hide treats ( which he eaten before) but in the hours following that he was just rolling on the carpet and chewing and biting at himself. It could be that or we are thinking some kind of mite??

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to help relieve this until he sees the vet tomorrow? It's so hard watching him go through this knowing I can't do much until he sees the vet, any advice would be greatly appreciated... :)

You really won't know of it was the treat unless you wait for the dog to get better and then give that same treat again.

You may like to try Advantage for Flea control, Frontline is....meh a bit crap really. To be extra sure, you can give Capstar one day and then the next day do the spot on treatment and also spray your house, wash the bedding in hot water, vaccum daily etc.

Malaseb is a very harsh shampoo and really should only be used if you know you are dealing with a bacterial type of problem, it can just make the problem worse otherwise i.e. it can dry the skin out and make it itchy.

Keep bathing to a minimum unless you know you're dealing with a contact allergy, in these cases a rinse off daily (no soap) can help these types of dogs.

Food allergies aren't as common as what people thing....best to head to the Vets, try and get this allergy attack under control and if allergies persist head back to the Vets and then onto a Dermatologist.

With your Omega Oils, make sure you have one that has a balanced ratio of Omega's 3, 6 & 9, if you don't have all 3 in there it can also cause some skin irritant. If you are giving Fish Oil (1 Cap per 10kgs of body weight) you have to make sure it's the one with Vit E in it or you have to give Vit E every 2nd day OR you could just get Emu Oil as that as all your Omega's in it and Vit E.

You can also make up the Calendula tea spray that people use here, make up a pot of Calendula tea, let it stand for 15 minutes, strain it, put it in a spray bottle and pop it in the fridge to cool and then apply to dog, put back in the fridge and it should keep for a week. I put in a cap full or original Listerine to assist with any Staph or begining of secondary skin infections.

Speak to your Vet about Anti-Histimines, it's trial and error as they don't work the same in dogs as they do in humans so you may need to try a few until you find one that works and a dose that works.

Edited by sas

You really won't know of it was the treat unless you wait for the dog to get better and then give that same treat again.

You may like to try Advantage for Flea control, Frontline is....meh a bit crap really. To be extra sure, you can give Capstar one day and then the next day do the spot on treatment and also spray your house, wash the bedding in hot water, vaccum daily etc.

Malaseb is a very harsh shampoo and really should only be used if you know you are dealing with a bacterial type of problem, it can just make the problem worse otherwise i.e. it can dry the skin out and make it itchy.

Keep bathing to a minimum unless you know you're dealing with a contact allergy, in these cases a rinse off daily (no soap) can help these types of dogs.

Food allergies aren't as common as what people thing....best to head to the Vets, try and get this allergy attack under control and if allergies persist head back to the Vets and then onto a Dermatologist.

With your Omega Oils, make sure you have one that has a balanced ratio of Omega's 3, 6 & 9, if you don't have all 3 in there it can also cause some skin irritant. If you are giving Fish Oil (1 Cap per 10kgs of body weight) you have to make sure it's the one with Vit E in it or you have to give Vit E every 2nd day OR you could just get Emu Oil as that as all your Omega's in it and Vit E.

You can also make up the Calendula tea spray that people use here, make up a pot of Calendula tea, let it stand for 15 minutes, strain it, put it in a spray bottle and pop it in the fridge to cool and then apply to dog, put back in the fridge and it should keep for a week. I put in a cap full or original Listerine to assist with any Staph or begining of secondary skin infections.

Speak to your Vet about Anti-Histimines, it's trial and error as they don't work the same in dogs as they do in humans so you may need to try a few until you find one that works and a dose that works.

I've always used oatmeal based shampoo on my girl, and either pinetarsol in between baths as a dab on or a nappy rash type creme, but as I work in aged care saw something really interesting other day when one of the residents in the care place I work had a rash, they used Mylanta which is an antacid on the rash and within 10 mins it had stopped itching, I am going to try this on my dog next time when she gets the itches from the grass.

I dont know what rectinol or neocort

Rectinol is human haemaroid ointment - have many mnay other uses!

Neocort/Neotopic H is an ointment available from Vets on prescription it is local anaesthetic, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial.

Our last GSD had polarimine tablets, she was approx 38kg and started at one tablet twice a day, that didn't work so the vet increased it to 2 tablets twice a day, which did work. Dogs can handle a lot more polarimine and it doesn't make them tired.

I have a saved information sheet on dog itchiness, which I have copied below for you. Our previous GSD had allergies, and I used this to help identify her problem, hope it helps you.

Your GSD's polaramine regime sounds very much like that for our small dog. And our vet said the same, when I raised eyebrows at the amount & frequency....dogs handle it better than humans.

Thanks for reproducing that great 'itchy' info sheet. I'm saving it.

Just got back from vets, she suspects its a flea allergy or midgies (sp?) she has given him a long lasting antihistamine injection, that should last up to 3 months.

And we just need to keep up with the frontline or to try advantage or something.

She said that we will get the peak of results in 24 hours but its working already, it is such a relief to see him being comfortable again and he was so well behaved at the vets :laugh: not that he normally misbehaves but he has a bit of an attitude, but he didnt leave my side and when the vet was looking at the base of his tail he was trying to climb back up on me for a cuddle....sooo cute.

Anyways all is well and Im hoping he will keep getting better, Thankyou so much for all your advice. :hug:

I dont know what rectinol or neocort

Rectinol is human haemaroid ointment - have many mnay other uses!

Neocort/Neotopic H is an ointment available from Vets on prescription it is local anaesthetic, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial.

We always have some Neocort/ Neotopic H on hand as find many uses. One of my girls had a super extreme itch when we got home from holidays and we couldnt get to the vet for 2 days because of public holidays. It was nearly cleared up just with the use of the creme and a Malaseb bath.

Also found out when camping recently that if a green ant bites you then the dogs Neotopic is the best remedy I have found so far to take away the sting!! I was desperate and didnt have anything else handy!!

I've always used oatmeal based shampoo on my girl, and either pinetarsol in between baths as a dab on or a nappy rash type creme, but as I work in aged care saw something really interesting other day when one of the residents in the care place I work had a rash, they used Mylanta which is an antacid on the rash and within 10 mins it had stopped itching, I am going to try this on my dog next time when she gets the itches from the grass.

Freaky!