Question A Framing Tips

doglover82

Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone had any tips on trying to correct my dog from A Framing all the time, as soon as I lift her front and place her feet on the ground she pulls back on me and I can not correct her feet as she goes all stiff when I try and place her front under her. Sometimes when I lift her front and place her she is fine but then as soon as I touch her back feet she pulls back!! Not sure how to correct this problem! Am out of ideas. :)(

Any tips??

For now forget about messing with the back feet and encorage her to move her weight forward - tasty treats or teach hand touching so the dog will pull themselves forward.

keep training sessions very short and have a good game or something fun straight after it.

What breed? Is this a large breed or table dog?

She is a Boxer, 12 months

Have tried lifting her from under and place individually it does not make a difference! As soon as I place her front and go to place her back she pulls back. Frustrating!

She A framed a little as a pup but is just getting worse.

Will move this to the show forum! Thanks

how old?

What breed?

You should shift this to the show forum

How do you lift the front?Do lift from under the belly or place individually?

Is the dog correctly structered?

Also keep in mind what your right hand is doing while you are placing the rear feet with your left hand. She could just be following your right hand backwards as you move.

Have you tried getting her to walk backwards so the back feet are where you want them and then just placing the front feet?

I would seek help of someone in the noe for stacking BUT my firt port of call would be a doggy chiro or bowen person to ensure his back or the likes arent out which makes him incapable of being stacked as its uncomfy

My right hand is holding her head up with the chain , have tried just holding her under her nack while placing her back feet as I thought it might have been the chain she was fighting against, but she still does it, Yes have tried her back feet and then her front and she still pulls back, if I free stack her she stands beautiful, have been just thinking that she does not like to be stacked and that I wil have to free stand her from now on but i prefer a boxer stacked with its head arched and tail held up.

Thanks for your replies :))

Also keep in mind what your right hand is doing while you are placing the rear feet with your left hand. She could just be following your right hand backwards as you move.

Have you tried getting her to walk backwards so the back feet are where you want them and then just placing the front feet?

Thankyou for your reply

I would seek help of someone in the noe for stacking BUT my firt port of call would be a doggy chiro or bowen person to ensure his back or the likes arent out which makes him incapable of being stacked as its uncomfy

SP sucks,using the laptop for the first time & its different.

If the dog free stacks then use that to your advantage.My dogs are all taught to self stack & i just complete the picture.

Let the dog walk into a free stack & then use the collor.Some dogs dont like to be touched

First make sure that you are placing the front feet well back under the withers, not in front of them. Hopefully the dog's conformation will allow this as it is impossible with dogs that have forward placed fronts. A very common problem in many breeds, unfortunately, especially in many of the dogs shown in the US.

Keep bait in your right hand with it stretched in front of the dog't nose. Let the dog lick and nibble the bait while you place the back feet. Before placing the rear end run your hand along the back and down each back leg before gently placing each hock. Some dogs react badly to having their back legs touched if you don't keep your hand on them first. Once the feet are placed hold the collar up and tempt the dog forward with the bait asking it to "stretch". Reward in small increments every time the nose inches forward and the feet stay still. Eventually you should see the back muscles ripple as the dog really leans forward into a full stretch. This is what you need to enforce as the "stretch" command and it can be practised with free stacking as well.

First make sure that you are placing the front feet well back under the withers, not in front of them. Hopefully the dog's conformation will allow this as it is impossible with dogs that have forward placed fronts. A very common problem in many breeds, unfortunately, especially in many of the dogs shown in the US.

Keep bait in your right hand with it stretched in front of the dog't nose. Let the dog lick and nibble the bait while you place the back feet. Before placing the rear end run your hand along the back and down each back leg before gently placing each hock. Some dogs react badly to having their back legs touched if you don't keep your hand on them first. Once the feet are placed hold the collar up and tempt the dog forward with the bait asking it to "stretch". Reward in small increments every time the nose inches forward and the feet stay still. Eventually you should see the back muscles ripple as the dog really leans forward into a full stretch. This is what you need to enforce as the "stretch" command and it can be practised with free stacking as well.

Thankyou very much!!

Once the feet are placed hold the collar up and tempt the dog forward with the bait asking it to "stretch". Reward in small increments every time the nose inches forward and the feet stay still.

This is what I have been practicing with Lewis as he will rock back when stacked.

I also give a small push against the front of the chest. Quite often a dog will spring forward when you do that(oppositional defiance) As I use a clicker I give a small push on the chest as soon as he stretches forward I click/Treat. Over time I with held the click for a fraction longer until he is now stretching forward and holding it until I click. I will work on this of course until he does it himself without any prompting.

My other thing with Lewis is his inability to keep his four feet still if his life depended on it! I am also C/Ting for four feet still.

I have found with him that if I move his feet from up up high as I have done with all my dogs (around elbow etc) he doesn't put his weight onto that foot and will move more easily. If I drop my hand even only an inch he will put his weight onto it and is less likely to move??? Not sure why - but he is different!

Good luck!

My Dobe HATED being lifted with a passion, have you tried just moving her front feet and not lifting her? If you lifted my Dobe she would react much the same as your girl. I used to move the front leg that needed the most correcting to the other, then the back legs.

I would also recommend trying to find some reputable show handler classes as the person running them will have seen every trick in the book and will probably have some great ideas.

I also second the chiropractor visit, she could be doing it due to some soreness

Edited by Rommi n Lewis