2010 Brags Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't have any brags, sorry, but it was cool seeing Zara beginning her heel work. :cry: A couple of weeks ago I suddenly decided to teach Erik a formal heel just for the hell of it (I actually had to go and look up what the correct position was, that's how clueless I am). I've never taught one before, and because Erik is short he tends to swing out his rear end so he can look up at me better. I'd already taught him the pivot trick on a box earlier jsut for the hell of it, so I figured I'd just transfer it to a phonebook and walk a step out from the phonebook with him, turn, and the go back to it and use it to get him to swing around in the right position. I have no idea what I'm doing and was wondering if I was being a bit elaborate. :( He's making progress and I'm having to signal a pivot less and less, but after seeing Zara I think I should have got Erik pivoting off the phone book before going any further...

Erik loves the pivot trick. If I put anything that looks remotely like a box or book on the ground I end up with Erik standing his front feet on it and trying to pivot into me.

I was going to teach Kivi rear end awareness, but it seems I first have to teach him box awareness. :cry: He trips over it trying to get to me. So we've taken a hiatus on such things to learn some body targeting instead. He's hopping sideways quite nicely, now. Nearly ready to teach him paw and hip targeting.

How do you do them, Nik? With phone books etc? I need some tips as our left turns are atrocious :cry:

Yep, phone books, walking backwards and walking back onto phone books. I have a few vids of Jedi doing stuff when he was little.

My two see the phone books and fight over who gets to stand on them! :cry:

Jedi at 7 months starting to do some phone book work (he never understood it when he was really little)

Jedi at 7 months once it 'clicked' :cry:

Some more back end stuff once he got better :laugh:

His left about turns at 12 months of age

Please ignore my really horrible handling in the first few!! :(

Oh and little Soakie is too cute not to add :laugh:

Edited by TerraNik

ok - how do you get them to back ONTO the phone book! for the life of me I can't get them to do this OR to back up multiple steps without me walking into them(well the girls anyway)!

Spill Terra spill!

But your guys are awfully cute!

I dunno! He just does it!! :cry: I started off teaching him to walk forward onto the phone book and then over so that his rear was still on it. So then he understood the position. Then I put it up against the wall and got him to reverse onto it.

It was the early steps of teaching him the handstand... This is him at doing some handstand stuff - he reverses onto higher and higher books.

I'll have to take a vid of him doing his proper handstands now. And then we will start working on walking handstands.

LP I started with a matt on floorboards initially to get the feel for something different under Zee's feet and then added the phone book. Now she does it onto a phone book step (4 phone books duct taped together) and a caravan step. Love watching her trying to find it with her back feet. :cry:

2010 and what a great start. Last night in my girls first agility and jumping trial for the year after two months of no training with her handler Mirrawee they blitzed it with 2nd place (2nd leg) in Agility Novice and 1st place in Jumping Novice (title) and only quallifier. Mirrawee only took over handling her last year and she has worked hard to get my girl to this stage as my poor handling and ring nerves had all but spoilt my girl for the ring. Also a back injury last year had my girl refusing to compete for a while which we thought innitially was just her being naughty. They don't get alot of chance to train together , usually once a week if Mirrawee's other commitments don't stop her and she also runs my sisters dog too, so training time is divided between them. Mirrawee also travels quiet a distance to do it too and leads quite a buzy life so I am really in her debt for what she does. Thanks Mirrawee!!!

Yep, phone books, walking backwards and walking back onto phone books. I have a few vids of Jedi doing stuff when he was little.

My two see the phone books and fight over who gets to stand on them! :rofl:

Thanks for that Nik! They are great videos. Sorry to take the thread further OT (you can PM me a reply if you prefer) - what is the best way to get them moving around the box/bucket/phone book?

I have a wide short bucket I up turned and Daisy worked out in about five seconds that I wanted her to stand on it, and now when we go over to it she gets up on it straight away. But what is the best way to get her moving around it? I am only getting a little bit of back end movement if I nudge her a bit or lure her but neither methods are terribly successful. Granted I only just started about twenty minutes ago :rofl:

2010 and what a great start. Last night in my girls first agility and jumping trial for the year after two months of no training with her handler Mirrawee they blitzed it with 2nd place (2nd leg) in Agility Novice and 1st place in Jumping Novice (title) and only quallifier. Mirrawee only took over handling her last year and she has worked hard to get my girl to this stage as my poor handling and ring nerves had all but spoilt my girl for the ring. Also a back injury last year had my girl refusing to compete for a while which we thought innitially was just her being naughty. They don't get alot of chance to train together , usually once a week if Mirrawee's other commitments don't stop her and she also runs my sisters dog too, so training time is divided between them. Mirrawee also travels quiet a distance to do it too and leads quite a buzy life so I am really in her debt for what she does. Thanks Mirrawee!!!

Woohoo! Well done Jenna! and Mirawee and you too ozjen of course :rofl:

I'm really annoyed I forgot to go last night now, I'm sorry I missed it!

My two see the phone books and fight over who gets to stand on them! :D

Thanks for that Nik! They are great videos. Sorry to take the thread further OT (you can PM me a reply if you prefer) - what is the best way to get them moving around the box/bucket/phone book?

I have a wide short bucket I up turned and Daisy worked out in about five seconds that I wanted her to stand on it, and now when we go over to it she gets up on it straight away. But what is the best way to get her moving around it? I am only getting a little bit of back end movement if I nudge her a bit or lure her but neither methods are terribly successful. Granted I only just started about twenty minutes ago :D

I'll PM you :)

How gorgeous is she!!!! Thanks for putting that link up, Tiggy!

She's so cute I want a Corgi :D .

Mim keeps putting photos of her corgis on the Spitz Thread! They are soooooooooooooo cute!! I was never keen on them until then!

Thats my brag for this week with hopefully more to come after tomorrow night!

I have worked so hard on Denver's weave entry and contacts and he has it down to a fine art.. for those who don't' know i have only had this dog since the end of august so he has come so far from the fat shelter BC he was!

We have another Novice jumping round tomorrow.. 7 obsticals is our goal last week it was 5 and he nailed the opening like he was born to do it and the rest of a tad messy but done!! so we'll up our stakes!

Gosh, watching this makes me realise how much I miss agility. I haven't done any since my old Kelpie X was about 5 (9yrs ago :D )

phone books are good - as are teaching them to walk backwards etc.

Yup - I meant rear end awareness :)

The way I am most of the time it's my rear end that needs awareness! :D

I have to confess I haven't seen this before, I'm going to give it a go.