Do You Ever Feel Like You Are Wasting Your Breath...?

Smartypaws

QUOTE (poodlefan @ 5th Jan 2010 - 08:38 PM) *

QUOTE (shells @ 5th Jan 2010 - 09:32 PM) *

Had a similar problem with a friend. Unfortunately, they previously owned a pedigree dog from a highly regarded breeder that ended up with a hereditary disorder (resulting in the dog's death at a young age) and little care from said breeder. Bought another pup of the same breed from a pet shop.. so far he is doing well (4 years old I think) and they are very happy with him etc.

In a way I can understand how this person feels. A friend of mine also "did all the right things", registered breeder ect only to end up with a dog that has cost them a fortune in the first year - no amount of talk will convince her to get a pedigree dog ever again.

I can think of a few crossbred owners that might change her mind for her. frown.gif

I'd be one. I've owned three crossbreeds and have had nothing but health problems with all of them. I know there are great crossbreeds out there and mine had/have the most beautiful personalities but their unknown inherited health problems have ended up costing me lots of money and heartache over the years.

You really take a gamble with any dog but I think you can narrow down the possibility for heartache with a bit of research.

She saw THAT documentary :) and believes thats what happended with the breeding of her dog (its a CKCS) next dog she reckons will be a Pug x Cav - because they're healthier you know :) Oh well maybe she can talk to my other friend whose RSPCA bitsa has just cost them $1800 in surgery costs

You really take a gamble with any dog but I think you can narrow down the possibility for heartache with a bit of research.

Very True

I had a purebred dog from a rego'd breeder (but not a very good one!)

He had 4 different hereditary diseases as well as a shocking temperment, skin issues and way undersized.

I have since bought 4 more purebred reg'd dogs, one died from a hereditary disease, one from old age, the others are still young and healthy. I will continue to buy the dog that I want from rego'd breeders.

I did have a friend tell me that since there last dog had such bad temperment/speration issues and conformation problems that lead to cruciate ruptures, he was going to get a pound puppy next. The breed of his other dog? A purebred American stafford X English Stafford. He did want to have a highly strung purebred again. I did my best to educate and leave it at that.

And the Dad... I have two of them... :):laugh:

send her to wheredopuppiescomefrom.com (it is Australian, even though it is .com) and leostory.org (again, Australian).

She can also read my girl's story: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...c=161092&hl

Let her know that is she buys from a puppy farmer she will be DIRECTLY contributing to a life of misery for the "mum".