Do You Ever Feel Like You Are Wasting Your Breath...?

Smartypaws

I feel really depressed today :hug: ……after having a discussion with a very good friend of mine about her plans for a puppy for her family. I have known this person 20 years and she is well aware of my views on animal welfare, particularly when it comes to puppy farming and DDs.

The last discussion we had (last week) centred around me explaining why getting two puppies to stop your 4 children fighting over just one was a bad idea, and why a “spoodle” isn’t a breed and “Puppy world” isn’t a breeder! We then went on to discuss what traits were important for her family when it came to choosing their new family member, and we shortlisted a few breeds that might match and agreed that I would help find a “good” breeder for her when the time came.

Today she tells me that her friend (who is a vet!!) has a client who buys whole litters from “farms”, brings them back to her place and raises them with her children to then on sell!@%$%^! :laugh: And that she was going to see this person as it would ‘save her time’ finding a breeder(!!) and the puppies would be used to kids. I almost slammed the phone down in her ear.

With composure, I instead asked her to join me at a dog show at the end of the month where she could see some of the breeds on her shortlist and meet some breeders. Oh and I also said something along the lines of, “if people don’t have the time to spend meeting breeders they probably have no business buying a puppy who is going to take up a heck of a lot more time over the next 10-15 years or so!” I also explained what may have been meant by "farms"....she was thinking of the horse and cattle, rolling hills and room to run variety.

Hopefully, I still have some sway with this person and can educate them before they buy a puppy.

Anyone have words of wisdom that may help the education stick??

Edited by K9Kath

I am more angry that a vet is in some way associated with a person that buys litters from a puppy farm, to hell with making money off her I would tell her to take her puppies else where.

Anyway back to your friend, you can give all the information but its up to your friend to decide what to do in the end. I know its really frustrating but we can educate those that want to be educated, the others will never change.

Some times when you try to hard and can drive the person into the opposite direction to where you want them to go.

Good luck

Today she tells me that her friend (who is a vet!!) has a client who buys whole litters from “farms”, brings them back to her place and raises them with her children to then on sell!@%$%^!

Makes me wonder how old the pups are when they are bought. :laugh:

I was in a similar position a while ago and no amount of talking seemed to beat the 'other' amount of talking my freind was getting from other people.

Instead I collected (online) as many stories of puppy farms, youtube vids, etc and sat my freind down to read and watch.

She (like all of us do I guess) was crying at some of the vids and pics of poor abused/neglected pups and dogs. Then I simply asked her did she want to keep places like that open by helping line their pockets with money.

Now she is hell bent on showing other friends and talking to them about what is going on.

Most people have no clue. Seeing is believing.

I was in a similar position a while ago and no amount of talking seemed to beat the 'other' amount of talking my freind was getting from other people.

Instead I collected (online) as many stories of puppy farms, youtube vids, etc and sat my freind down to read and watch.

She (like all of us do I guess) was crying at some of the vids and pics of poor abused/neglected pups and dogs. Then I simply asked her did she want to keep places like that open by helping line their pockets with money.

Now she is hell bent on showing other friends and talking to them about what is going on.

:laugh::hug::hug::hug::( ;) :rofl::rofl:

:laugh::hug: :hug: :hug::( from me as well

Thanks everyone for your posts. I agree that finding more info on puppy farms and showing it to my friend may help her to understand how important it is to carefully choose where her puppy comes from. She is a very intelligent person, and I have no doubt that the puppy they end up with will be loved and cared for, she is just like so many others that do not think about the realities of puppy farming because they have never had to. They do not realise that the cute puppy in the window at the local pet store may have parents that are living in squalid, inhumane conditions, kept alive only to breed…..and breed…..and breed.

I am also flabbergasted at the vet friend, but in all honesty, cannot say for certain that the on-seller isn’t getting pups from the cattle and horse, rolling hills and room to run variety of farm………but sadly I think we all know better. The vet also said the on-seller took good care of the pups and they were vaccinated and wormed etc……of course, we also know that isn’t the point. This on-seller has also created more demand for these pups….who yes Poodlefan, are probably way to young to be leaving their mums.

Oh, and megan, thank you for sharing Lucy’s story :laugh: . It sounds like you are both lucky to have each other.

Had a similar problem with a friend. Unfortunately, they previously owned a pedigree dog from a highly regarded breeder that ended up with a hereditary disorder (resulting in the dog's death at a young age) and little care from said breeder. Bought another pup of the same breed from a pet shop.. so far he is doing well (4 years old I think) and they are very happy with him etc.

Anyway, she wanted to get a pup for her daughter (interested in obedience etc as they go with the older dog), I suggested either a rescue pup or something along the lines of a Cavalier or a Sheltie.... at one point they were almost going to get a Skye terrier X Shih Tzu (I managed to convince them this was a bad idea and although Skyes are pretty etc they are a real hard terrier etc)... just before Christmas they got a 'pure bred Shi Tzu' (that's how they spell it :) ). Saw pictures and it is as cute as anything but it's not a pb Shih Tzu... my guess is Lhasa Apso (it has a full muzzle)... it came from either a pet shop or a breeder, Im not sure which but definitely not a reg'd breeder. Big sigh. I do know this pup will be very much loved and he will get the best of care etc but it is just so frustrating.

:):confused::rofl::(:) from me as well

:mad from me too!

:) from me too.

I can empathise with your stress and frustration. I have posted in the past about those I have "lost to the dark side" despite trying everything I possibly could.

Some people just love thier ignorance (even after watching the videos) - "Oh this farm is different" GRRRRRRRRRRRR

I find people at work now fall into two camps. Those who come to me for advice all the time at all hours on all things canine. And those who won't even talk to me about thier dogs because "they know I won't approve of them mating it, the new litter, the food it gets (people food) the fact that it is shorn, not walked, not wormed etc etc etc ". Sigh..........

Do your very best - we are all behind you. Just don't be too heartbroken if she goes the wrong way. It can cost a friendship at times.

Colliehound

Often.

Please show your friend this link

http://www.alv.org.au/storyarchive/0504prisoners/index.php

A puppy farm. Owned by a vet.

Thanks for this link.. I will add it to the new facebook group.

edit to add facebook group link for those who may have missed it and interested in joining

http://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?gid=225543472403

Edited by puggerup

I find people at work now fall into two camps. Those who come to me for advice all the time at all hours on all things canine. And those who won't even talk to me about thier dogs because "they know I won't approve of them mating it, the new litter, the food it gets (people food) the fact that it is shorn, not walked, not wormed etc etc etc ". Sigh..........

Do your very best - we are all behind you. Just don't be too heartbroken if she goes the wrong way. It can cost a friendship at times.

Colliehound

Oh, I am familiar with this too! There are some people who don't seek me out for advice anymore as they haven't liked what I have had to say. Ahhh, "should I mate my two unregistered, agressive SBTs? They attack each other all the time!" - answer "NO!".

This afternoon I sent my friend an email with the links you guys have provided and a few words to say that I love her and her family and want them to find the best friend they possibly can. And, if I can educate her towards the best way of doing that without impacting on the potential sufferring of the many, many dogs that are farmed for profit then all the better!

She is coming with me to a show at the end of the month - at Durack (29/30) if any of you will be there :). Hopefully if she gets to actually see some suitable pure bred dogs and meet some good registered breeders she will be prepared to wait for the right puppy.

Had a similar problem with a friend. Unfortunately, they previously owned a pedigree dog from a highly regarded breeder that ended up with a hereditary disorder (resulting in the dog's death at a young age) and little care from said breeder. Bought another pup of the same breed from a pet shop.. so far he is doing well (4 years old I think) and they are very happy with him etc.

In a way I can understand how this person feels. A friend of mine also "did all the right things", registered breeder ect only to end up with a dog that has cost them a fortune in the first year - no amount of talk will convince her to get a pedigree dog ever again.

In a way I can understand how this person feels. A friend of mine also "did all the right things", registered breeder ect only to end up with a dog that has cost them a fortune in the first year - no amount of talk will convince her to get a pedigree dog ever again.

I can think of a few crossbred owners that might change her mind for her. :thumbsup:

I can think of a few crossbred owners that might change her mind for her. :thumbsup:

I'd be one. I've owned three crossbreeds and have had nothing but health problems with all of them. I know there are great crossbreeds out there and mine had/have the most beautiful personalities but their unknown inherited health problems have ended up costing me lots of money and heartache over the years.

You really take a gamble with any dog but I think you can narrow down the possibility for heartache with a bit of research.