A Baby Runt Problem

Tapua

OK we have 12 healthy lab pups, mum is doing well, eating and drinking like a horse. Pups born 2/1/10 I have 1 runt everyone has been pupping on weight except this guy he has lost 50g he is now 300g where everyone else is up ot 480 -520g.

The little fella isnt sick or particularly weak, he feeds well and I put him back on mum when the others are asleep. They are only 3 days old and milk as different from colostrum is kicking in - do I leave things for another day or two and just keep putting him on the teet or suppliment with Bialac. Maybe 15 - 20 mls 2 or 3 times a day before he feeds then let him back on the teet? Any advice would be appreciated.

If I have a puppy that suckles strongly but doesn't seem to thrive in the first few days,

I administer anitbiotic (amoxicillin or calvulox) to prevent any infection becoming dire and more noticeable

and supplement with goats milk.

If there is nothing physically wrong with the puppy then he/she should begin to put weight on.

Sometimes no weight gain can be a sign of early illness.

Edited by lilli

OK thanks for that guys - yes I have started the biolac. If he was weak or unwell in anyway I would probably be more pushy about feeds I am happy he has had colostrum and when he feeds his belly is full. I gave him about 10ml this afternoon and I will get Pete to do one more toninght and I'll feed him again when I get home around 11pm. So thats 3 feeds today.

Again he is not showing any sign of weakness , poos and piddle all normal - just have to wait I guess. :)

Edited by Tapua

OK thanks for that guys - yes I have started the biolac. If he was weak or unwell in anyway I would probably be more pushy about feeds I am happy he has had colostrum and when he feeds his belly is full. I gave him about 10ml this afternoon and I will get Pete to do one more toninght and I'll feed him again when I get home around 11pm. So thats 3 feeds today.

Again he is not showing any sign of weakness , poos and piddle all normal - just have to wait I guess. :)

We give our babies nutridrops too, they usually help little babies to catch up.

Well good news this morning - he has jumped weight from 300g to 320g - pretty good eh :( - I'll keep supplimenting for a couple of days and see how he continues - hopefully he will only need it ocassionally if he keep putting on weight.

He is bright and allert as they all are and Tua is eating well and contented.