How Does Your Dog Let You Know What They Want?

mutt lover

Well I thought my old girl was very spoilt, but after last night now I'm absolutely sure she is. :) Usually put fan on in my bedroom of a night if its a hot night and as Lady sleeps on my bed she likes it on when it's hot too.

I didn't put it on last night as I didn't think it was that hot? Well the old girl started whingeing when I was trying to get to sleep, silly me asked all the usual questions, Do you need wee wee's Lady (No) that didn't get reaction, So just tried to go to sleep again 5 mins later woof woof in my ear, again Do you need to go out Lady, She then moved to end of bed and looked at fan and again woof to me, ("Oh says me You want the fan on"), (Turned fan on low Lady now sprawled out across end of bed snoring head off in 5 mins while owner now wide awake trying to get back to sleep) She was probably thinking geez what do I have to do to get mum to turn my fan on, talk about who's in charge in this house and I know it's not me at times :confused:

post-31607-1262671378_thumb.jpg

My boy last night stood near the kitchen and just waited. I told hime there was no more food, all finished, all gone - and that usually does the trick and he goes to his bed.

He just kept standing there last night and shuffling his feet on the floor, occasionally letting out a slight whinge/whimper. I thought he was being unusually persistent and was determined not to give in and get up but had to in the end.

What did I find? A mouse in the corner of the kitchen! :) Poor dog was trying to tell me something, I just didn't figure that!

My boy last night stood near the kitchen and just waited. I told hime there was no more food, all finished, all gone - and that usually does the trick and he goes to his bed.

He just kept standing there last night and shuffling his feet on the floor, occasionally letting out a slight whinge/whimper. I thought he was being unusually persistent and was determined not to give in and get up but had to in the end.

What did I find? A mouse in the corner of the kitchen! :) Poor dog was trying to tell me something, I just didn't figure that!

:rofl: A mouse, Did you get it?, Well I'm getting the glares from "MyLady" now it must be her dinner time, yep looks at watch is 4.30 :confused:

With Scout, if he is wanting his moist food, he'll nose his steel bowl. If he wants dry food, he'll nose the pantry door. If I ignore him doing this, he'll nose the bin until the lid opens [has a push button thingy lid] knowing that will get my attention.

If I leave a door open that he thinks shouldn't be open, he'll nose it shut [only really annoying if cooking something different and need to go back and forth from the pantry - turn around and the door is shut :) ]...if a door is shut he thinks should be open he'll jump up and turn the handle and open it.

He has many other quirky habits :confused:

:rofl: A mouse, Did you get it?

Nup, tried to catch it but it was too quick for me and got into the living room. :confused: The cats will get it at some stage (they better anyway! One of them would have brought it into the house)

Edited by ~ArtyFarty~

I get a whine/whinge when the brat needs to toilet ... usually only used when he is crated or we are in the car. When we head off so I can toilet him ... he will look back at me over his shoulder with a "will you hurry up" look as if he is waiting for his toilet command so he can pee.

Both boys sit perfectly and look longingly their bowls when they want food.

When the older boy is at work with my brother he will pick up his water bowl and take it over to the ice machine and look from the ice machine to my brother (and give a bit of a bark to get his attention) when he runs out of ice. He loves to crunch ice cubes.

Slight OT - my two cockatiels which make a lot of noise if their water tube or seed dish is getting a little low ...

When Tilly wants her dinner, she will look at me excitedly while standing in front of her bowl. Quite often she will alternately lift her front legs like she is walking on hot coals while waiting. If she's particularly hungry she'll make a little crying type noise while looking at me as well. If I ignore her she will lay down by her bowl looking rather sooky.

If Tilly or Jessie are tired and want to leave the dog park or if it starts raining they will stand by the back of the car and look at me.

Jessie is very vocal, so if she wants something she will cry, 'talk' or bark and she'll also stare at me.

If my pit wants something NOW she barks. If I ignore her she growls and acts all tough, shaking her head and growling/barking. We usually all start laughing at her, as she will go person to person trying to get a reaction. When noone reacts she gives up and asks properly, by sitting infront of me and putting her paw in my lap while I run through her list of words. When she hears what she wants she barks and runs off in that direction.

The AmStaff just sits near what she wants and whinges. When you ask her if that is what she wants she begs. Looks so cute/odd now she is getting big.

The GSDX (outside) will bang her metal bowl on the step to get attention. She does it for everything. Food, water, if she is hurt, lonely, bored. Really great at 4am!!! One night I went out and my son forgot to feed her. She sure let me know when I got home...

I remember one night Phoenix was barking. It was the same bark he gives when he wants to go to the toilet. I'd only let them out 10 mins before and was trying to go back to sleep... I wasn't happy. So I get up, and guess who'd left the light on after I'd let them out. I apologised to the little prince, turned it out and went back to bed. No more barking.

Bubby will stand in front of me, look at whatever he wants, look back at me and then raise a paw. He does it for everything, especially when there are goodies being baked in the oven.

Bitty will plonk herself in front of me and flash me her megawatt smile! If I only pat her and wont give her what she wants she tries to smile even harder to the point where I think she’s going to get a face cramp! :(

I was sitting at the computer one night and my old girl kept wandering in and whining. When I would look at her she would move to the door but say focused on me. I kept ignoring her for quite a while but when it continued thought I'd better see what she wanted so I followed her through the house. All the while she kept turning back to make sure I was following. She took me to where her bed is and looked at me, looked at her bed, looked at me with the most intense look. I realised she wanted me to lift up her doona so she could get in and be all covered and tucked up. At the expense of humanising, when she saw me motion towards the doona she looked relieved. She crawled in, comletely covered by the doona and I didn't hear a peep out of her for the rest of the night.

Edited by corrie

I can barely see Patch all day, but come 5:30ish he suddenly appears and follows me everywhere - its dinnertime! He will also put his head in my lap and just stare :eek:

Oscar is the really demanding one. He will whimper, bark and whine when he wants something and if he is really frustrated by me not throwing a ball to him he will jump and push me with his paws.

Beanie just sits like a statue (in a trance like state) in front of whatever it is she wants, like the fridge, the dry food container, the bag of tennis balls etc.

Spud, on the other hand doesn't beat around the bush. He will try and get his lead and walking harness of the hook in the laundry if he wants to go for a walk. If he can't get the lead off the hook he nudges it so that the clip hits against the wall and we can hear it. If he wants to go in the pool he goes in search of his dad's board shorts, which could mean making a noise under the clothers line (if they're there), or nudging the wardrobe door open if they are in there or the other week he found them over the side of the bathtub, so he carried them to the living room and dropped them at OH's feet. :eek: He's a clever boy.

eft

Edited by benny123

When smooch wants something from the pantry he will walk to the pantry and back to me, this will go on several times, so I ask him what he wants so back to the pantry he goes. So in the pantry I keep several different types of treats, if he doesn't want the one I go to give him he will turn his head away until I get the one he wants. My sister once commented that Smooch defiantly knows what he wants lol.

My boy Knuckles is a funny little man - if he is inside and wants out he stands near the door but stares at us. If we don't take the intent glare as a hint he starts scratching at the door. If we continue to ignore him then the barking starts!

My girl Banks lets us know when she wants cuddles and smooches, literally climbing onto your lap for them (not bad considering she is a 40kg Rotty!).

And if we ignore either Knuckles or Banks when they want to play, the toy is brought to our lap and chewed on! :eek:

I could go on with all their little antics but that would take up too much space :eek: Reading the posts has certainly made me laugh... thank you!

Funnily enough, I can tell what Sasha does (or doesn't) want through her facial expressions. I could never possibly explain them - and it's only something that I can read as she spends most time with me... but it's true, that's how I can tell what she wants, what she doesn't want, what mood she is in, or how to interpret how she is reacting to something. Her face is so very expressive - I now know why the rescue org she came from described her as a character.

She will use her facial expressions, and look from me to whatever it is she wants repeatedly until I get it.

I am the courageous defender and safe keeper of the household, I'm like a security guard making sure all is safe - but I'm under no illusions as to who actually runs this house. Everyone knows it...

Chloe is like benny123's Beanie - will stare intently and bark at whatever it is she wants. She physically shows you. If she wants a liver treat, she stares at their spot and barks until someone gives in. If she wants a walk, she takes off and stands impatiently at the gate. If you aren't quick enough, she'll give you a WOOF (or sometimes she will return inside and give you a withering glance :eek: )!

Edited by Kelly_Louise

With Scout, if he is wanting his moist food, he'll nose his steel bowl. If he wants dry food, he'll nose the pantry door. If I ignore him doing this, he'll nose the bin until the lid opens [has a push button thingy lid] knowing that will get my attention.

If I leave a door open that he thinks shouldn't be open, he'll nose it shut [only really annoying if cooking something different and need to go back and forth from the pantry - turn around and the door is shut :) ]...if a door is shut he thinks should be open he'll jump up and turn the handle and open it.

He has many other quirky habits :)

What a smart dog you have there you should sign him up for TV commercials he'd be really good by the sounds of it.

Thanks for sharing.