Public View On Dog Showers/enthusiasts

Heidii

I want to know if every gets the same comments as me when it come to their pets if they show, do dog sports, breed etc

I have come to find that the majority of people (That aren’t dog people) think that if you show dogs that you are a cruel and shallow person. I have been told that dog showing is in the same category as Hitler and his ‘perfect race’.

When my dog has done well in agility and I have spoken to work colleagues about it, they don’t agree with making my dog do something he ‘doesn’t want to do’. Even if I tell them that my dog LOVES doing agility they still say that it’s the same as animals in a circus!!

I hate these opinions, it really upsets me that people think I don’t love my dogs because I do competitions with them. That is the reason why I do competitions BECAUSE I love dogs and being able to go out and enjoy the day with them at a dog show and win ribbons together is a fantastic feeling!.... but people just don’t understand :eek: ...I know I shouldn’t let it bother me but being a passionate animal lover it really does! :eek:

Does anyone else have this problem?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. :eek: My work colleagues understand my passion, even if they don't share it and usually ask how I went on the weekends. I helped one of my colleagues buy a lovely boxer pup via here. (:eek: to Hogz)

My boss is very accommodating with requests for leave for shows.

Most of my non-doggy acquaintances have seen Best in Show and want to know if it's like that. I tell them its worse! :eek:

It's amazing how some people seem to think its "cruel" to have a fit well trained dog and to take it on outings most weekends. :eek:: What sorts of activities do their dogs get to do?

Edited by poodlefan

Nope. :mad My work colleagues understand my passion, even if they don't share it and usually ask how I went on the weekends. I helped one of my colleagues buy a lovely boxer pup via here. (:eek: to Hogz)

Most of my non-doggy acquaintances have seen Best in Show and want to know if it's like that. I tell them its worse! :eek:

It's amazing how some people seem to think its "cruel" to have a fit well trained dog and to take it on outings most weekends. :eek:: What sorts of activities do their dogs get to do?

Well thanks poodlefan, that’s made me feel worse!! :eek:

I only have one person who always asks me if I had a show but my boss is accommodating because he knows I’m passionate about it but he has told me he doesn’t agree with it....and says that dogs belong in the backyard, not made to do ‘circus acts’.

Most people I know think that dog sports / agility are pretty cool and that the dogs do enjoy it.

But yes I think dog shows have a reputation of being pretty unpleasant, bitchy places. But even if they say they think very little of dog shows they'll still let you know that their dog has so many championsin their line. :eek:

I find it's just the opposite actually and the vast majority of people that I know or meet are interested in shows, they ask a million and one questions and more often than not, they will attend if given an invite and a day.

If it's close to home and free, invite people to come and watch what you do.

haha so true Scarlet

I have one guy here who LOVES dogs and when I told him about getting a new pup to show and I had been having trouble finding one suitable he told me I was being shallow and it should be whats inside the dog that counts!!

...hmm maybe I just work with mean people :eek:

But even if they say they think very little of dog shows they'll still let you know that their dog has so many championsin their line. :eek:

:eek: :eek: :mad

Yes!

Show dogs are only bred for their looks and are stupid and unhealthy, and in the next breath my gorgeous lovely Fluffy has XXX champions in her pedigree. :eek:

Nope. :mad My work colleagues understand my passion, even if they don't share it and usually ask how I went on the weekends. I helped one of my colleagues buy a lovely boxer pup via here. (:eek: to Hogz)

I only have one person who always asks me if I had a show but my boss is accommodating because he knows I’m passionate about it but he has told me he doesn’t agree with it....and says that dogs belong in the backyard, not made to do ‘circus acts’.

Have you pointed out to your boss how boring life in a backyard can be?

Have you pointed out to your boss how boring life in a backyard can be?

Sure have, that was my first response! I said it was cruel keeping a dog in the backyard with no stimulation....I have to say it in the nicest way though which is hard and doesnt get my point across in the way i really want it too

I'm lucky I work with animal people :-) But I have friends who's work has a similar attitude to Heidii's colleagues.

The attitude of Heidii's co-workers is what animal rights extremists / rspca people want to play to to pursue dog show / events people.

We work very hard in our little town so that our show is well attended by the public and that they feel welcome and informed. As a result, we are very lucky with local sponsorship and positive responses.

fifi

efs & to add stuff

Edited by fifi

I'm lucky I work with animal people :-) But I have friends who's work has a similar attitude to Heidii's colleagues.

The attitude of Heidii's co-workers is what animal rights extremists / rspca people want to play to to pursue dog show / events people.

We work very hard in our little town so that our show is well attended by the public and that they feel welcome and informed. As a result, we are very lucky with local sponsorship and positive responses.

fifi

efs & to add stuff

Yeh thats right fifi, they all seam to be animal rights extremists/rspca supporters etc

yet get this, this one girl is against showing because she thinks docking/cropping/bracing ears etc is extremely cruel and thinks people who show lock their dogs up in kennels and the dogs never even get a hug or a pat, yet then tells me "oh my brother brought a beautiful lab x golden puppy....but dont worry, he got her from a proper breeder" :eek::eek::eek:

"oh my brother brought a beautiful lab x golden puppy....but dont worry, he got her from a proper breeder" :eek::eek::eek:

:eek: Doesn't that just give you the sh*ts ??!!

Somehow we are failing to promote good, ethical registered breeders over the byb's and puppy farms - the message is still not getting out :mad

fifi

fifi

efs & to add stuff

Not sure about all RSPCA people being this way. I train at the RSPCA in Brisbane for flyball and most of their instructors are mad keen about dog sports - much of their animal behaviour/training school focusses on a watered down version of competitive activity. They are constantly at me to go over and do agility nights for them so they can improve their skills - fortunately they don't all seem to be tarred with the same brush.

That said, my work colleagues, friends and family think I'm a little bit strange, but then again, they did before I got into dog sport so no big change there. They are pretty amazed at what the puppies can do and like Poodlefan understand the passion if they don't share it.

"oh my brother brought a beautiful lab x golden puppy....but dont worry, he got her from a proper breeder" :eek::eek::eek:

:mad Doesn't that just give you the sh*ts ??!!

Somehow we are failing to promote good, ethical registered breeders over the byb's and puppy farms - the message is still not getting out :)

fifi

your right, its not getting out!

After a "pitball" attack on the news a while ago now, my boss went around telling everyone that pitballs are the most dangerous breed because they get lock jaw...he said even when they are dead you cant get them off!....I pulled him aside and told him it wasnt true etc but he wouldnt have a bar of it, he said he had seen it with his own eyes when his neighbours cat got attacked by a pitball..he said he even saw the dog 'shift its jaw into lock'........i thought...."you have got to be shitting me" :eek::mad:mad As poodlefan said, sometimes its just not worth it!

Not at all.

The people I currently work with, one showed Main Coon Cats back in the UK and the other is very much into the best of the best and in his mind pedigree dogs are the way to go.

I have a photo of one of my dogs on my desk, clients will often ask me about him and it does come up occasionally that he is a show dog, no one has ever given me trouble about it. I fact I often get more questions after that, its great.

I will admit most of my friends think I'm nuts but that is more because I spend so much of my waking time at shows instead of hanging out with them. Its never nasty though.

What really gives me a headache is the people spouting off about how awful Pittbulls are.

That conversation topic nearly ended up a fight with my MIL on Christmas :eek:

Edited by Wolfsong

never had anyone think like that,you get the people who make comment because the dogs are all fru fru looking but never anything tasteless & like everyone else most are very keen to listen /learn & get an idea even if it isnt there thing & that is fine with me because what one person enjoys another will hate .

When my dog has done well in agility and I have spoken to work colleagues about it, they don’t agree with making my dog do something he ‘doesn’t want to do’. Even if I tell them that my dog LOVES doing agility they still say that it’s the same as animals in a circus
!!

So why tell them what you do :)

Im sorry but if your colleagues dont appreciate what you & your dog does then dont tell them.

They have there opinion you have yours & just agree to disagree & keep your achievements private or with those that understand.

Most of the people I work with (coles) have no idea what a dog show is! I mention, Crufts, Westminster, Melbourne Royal etc and they still have no idea what it actually is. I need a way to easily describe to them what in the world I do on my weekends! lol. The few people co workers and customers who do know what I am talking about always ask me how I went and love the sound of it!

never had anyone think like that,you get the people who make comment because the dogs are all fru fru looking but never anything tasteless & like everyone else most are very keen to listen /learn & get an idea even if it isnt there thing & that is fine with me because what one person enjoys another will hate .
When my dog has done well in agility and I have spoken to work colleagues about it, they don’t agree with making my dog do something he ‘doesn’t want to do’. Even if I tell them that my dog LOVES doing agility they still say that it’s the same as animals in a circus
!!

So why tell them what you do :)

Im sorry but if your colleagues dont appreciate what you & your dog does then dont tell them.

They have there opinion you have yours & just agree to disagree & keep your achievements private or with those that understand.

They asked showdog! ....AND i had to take time off work for the royal melbourne show.

I dont actively say anything now.