Holding Pups For People?

Missymoo

When do you, or do you at all charge board for holding onto pups for people until theya re ready to take them?

Pups are 8 weeks now and ready to go but one person can pick up until end of Jan...its not that conviniant for me at all, and I have just been informed now... if I had known in advance it wouldnt have bothered me, but we had holidays planned...

Did they tell you why they waited until the last minute to tell you they couldn't collect until the end of January, or was it that something happened and it's only a recent thing?

ETA: You're going to be caring for the puppy for an extra 3 weeks, charge them accordingly.

Edited by Aziah

If it is prearranged, no worries. If it is a last-minute thing then I expect a contribution for food and my time.

This came up just yesterday. One of my puppy people was worried because they are going on holidays in a few weeks. The new "Dad" doesn't want to go on holidays at all now because he would rather stay home with his puppy, but "Mum" has insisted the holiday is still on and they didn't know what they should do with regards to the puppy. I immediately offered for her to stay here with her littermates that will still be here until they get home again and get settled. She is flying interstate as well, so the extra time will be an advantage for all concerned.

We do pre arrange aswell.We will work in with people even if last minute & the reason is beyond there control & in the pups best interest but if the reason isnt something we consider reasonable then yes we will ask for something.

The only time we wont ask is if the dog hasnt been picked & we are running 2 of the same sex on & it works well for us.

basically we work case by case

Edited by showdog

Thanks for all the replies :(

Ive decided not to worry about it now as its only a few weeks and one pup, but will be thinking about it in future thats for sure. We have rearranged our holidays for later to and that was easily done so no problems.

Pups have only just got first vaccination (8 weeks) and will be due for the next one at 12weeks, so I think she will be with her new family then anyway. :) I am askingthem to pay for her now though, so Im not left with a older pup with no home!

Hey Sway, her new 'brother' is a great Dane!! lol Will love pics, :D

Again thanks fopr the suggestions and will make note for 'next time' Im sprung, lol

Edited by Missymoo

Was going to ask if they had fully paid for the pup yet. I would be asking that they pay for the pup now otherwise you will place pup elsewhere. The last thing you need is for them to then contact you after the extended period to say they have changed their mind and won't be getting the pup.

Was going to ask if they had fully paid for the pup yet. I would be asking that they pay for the pup now otherwise you will place pup elsewhere. The last thing you need is for them to then contact you after the extended period to say they have changed their mind and won't be getting the pup.

To be honest I'd rather them not take the puppy at the end of the time if they really didn't want it...

To be honest I'd rather them not take the puppy at the end of the time if they really didn't want it...

Agree

Sorry, probably didn't word it properly but was trying to put across what you are have written Aziah. Better the pup goes to a home where it is wanted than someone who is half hearted and still not sure.

Definitely agree, that's why it is so very much a case-by-case situation.

It's also an assumption thing. I don't mind helping somebody out if they have something come up that is totally unavoidable, for example long-planned family vacations, overseas trips, medical issues etc but if somebody just isn't "ready" then considering most will have had a VERY long time to actually prepare to me that is a sign that they may NEVER be "ready" for the puppy. And I also don't like it when you are making plans to send a puppy to somebody and then suddenly there are issues about their availability which had never been mentioned previously and then apparently they are doing YOU a favour by taking the puppy at the scheduled time for it to leave home.

Heck, I'm not a boarding kennel and I will ALWAYS be keeping at least ONE of the littermates so whilst it may NOT be an issue to have an extra underfoot, sometimes it will be. I may have plans of my own, or space restrictions or it may be a particularly busy time of the year etc etc.

To ASSuME is a dangerous thing, as we all know! :rofl:

I'm holding one to go o/s,another one because they had holidays planned(she was supposed to be picked up straight AFTER xmas though) and kelpiepupsmum's one,but all were pre arranged so i am fine with it. I havent charged board,but if it was a last minute thing for a, to me,not good reason,then yes,i would charge them.

I did that foR one 5 years ago that went to NZ,they had paid the deposit,and then when 12 weeks hit and i was asking them to make arrangements to finalise payment,flights etc,informed me they had to completely re-fence the whole place,she was pregnant etc,so could i hold her longer.I did,but charged them $5 day for the 2 mths extra ,she was over 6 mths when she went.