Bestr Crate Training Resource

megan_

My cousin is getting a schnauzer puppy in 2 weeks and wants to get a great crate training book, DVD or website ref. She is looking for something that balances time inside and outside the crate (so non of those ones that suggest the pup only gets let out of an hour or two a day).

The pup will be used to the crate as the breeder uses it too, so hopefully there won't be too many dramas.

Thanks,

Megan

Edited by megan_

To be honest all the advice and info you would ever need about crate training is right here on the forums :(

There is a heap of threads and info on the subject if you do a search...it worked for us. Crating turned out to be the best thing for our puppy!

The Ian Dunbar book 'After you get your puppy' has info on crate training. The same info may be available online free at DogStarDaily.com too....

Basically it works like this- When you are home the puppy is put in it's short term confinement area (crate). Every hour you take the puppy outside, give it the command to toilet and then praise and treat when it does. Then you can spend some time playing with or training the puppy before taking it back to the crate again.

For the times when you are away from home, eg working, the puppy is in it's long term confinement area; which can be a puppy pen etc. This area has bedding (or a crate with the door opened), toys, water and an area for the pup to toilet if it needs.

I'm pretty sure that you can also have the puppy out of the crate at any time when you are home as long as you are able to fully supervise it.

Reading the book it does sound like the puppy will be spending a lot of time in the crate, but put into practice (properly) it's not that much really. Might only be 15-20 mins out of each hour. It doesn't take much to tire out a baby puppy -they spend 90% of the crate time sleeping and the other 10% chewing on their toys :thumbsup: and sometimes a puppy will just conk out for 2-3 hours at a time after a play anyway lol.

The bonus is that if you do it properly the puppy will be house-trained -fast. Which means more time out of the crate and more independence :champagne:

I used Ian Dunbar's website www.dogstardaily.com It does advocate putting the puppy in the crate a lot during the day (but only after a play session etc) so I must admit I didn't crate my pup just as much as he daid but it is a very good reference sight with lots of other training info.