My 7 Month Old Bull Terrier Has Gone Off Her Food

Dani M

Quick one hopefully :s

My bully pup Tequila isn't eating her food. At the moment she's on 3 meals

Morning: eukanuba

Lunch: chicken pet mince with mushed veggies

Dinner: chicken frames/wings

She's never been a great eater but she's bearly touched her food for 2 days! Starting to get worried..

Any opinions/advice??

Edited by Dani M

You could try taking her off the Eukanuba for a start. For all the advertising, it isn't a good food and if I were a dog, I would be turning MY nose up at it as well.

She could quite safely be on two meals per day at that age.

Do you leave the food down or take it away between meals? Put it down, leave it for a maximum of 15 minutes and then take it away.

Some dogs do go a bit funny about their food at this age and it can be simply a matter of staying firm and hardening your heart. If however she isn't drinking well or is not acting like "herself" then she needs to see a vet.

You could try taking her off the Eukanuba for a start. For all the advertising, it isn't a good food and if I were a dog, I would be turning MY nose up at it as well.

She could quite safely be on two meals per day at that age.

Do you leave the food down or take it away between meals? Put it down, leave it for a maximum of 15 minutes and then take it away.

Some dogs do go a bit funny about their food at this age and it can be simply a matter of staying firm and hardening your heart. If however she isn't drinking well or is not acting like "herself" then she needs to see a vet.

Morning Ellz,

Her food is only left for 10-15 minutes before I take it away but in the last few days she won't even hang around where her food is. She simply comes, sits & once her food is down walks away & doesn't come back to inspect.

As for drinking & acting herself, nothing has changed. Do you think that I should change what I'm feeding at all?

Instead of the frames the dogs do get a meaty bone every couple of days at the moment.

Thanks for your advice :(

Yep- today I would offer her one meal only.. and see how she goes.She shouldn't need 3 meals at this age...morning and night is usually enough.

if she is at all quiet or different- book a vet visit, though.

I offerred her breakfast (chicken mince & veggies) but she had a lick & walked away. Do you think I should offer her a meal tonight??

And what is the weather like? My guys all go off their food when it is really hot. A lot of my pet sitting dogs do as well!

The weather has been quite warm the last few days around 24-26degrees but today is forecast to hit 36 :s

have you had a look in her mouth? Does she perhaps have a retained tooth, or a bit of bone lodged somewhere, or a sore throat?24-26 is not warm/hot- that should not have made her go off her food .....

I would be booking a vet visit- just to give you peace of mind...

have you had a look in her mouth? Does she perhaps have a retained tooth, or a bit of bone lodged somewhere, or a sore throat?24-26 is not warm/hot- that should not have made her go off her food .....

I would be booking a vet visit- just to give you peace of mind...

hmmm.. Good point Persephone, I'm at work at the moment but will have a look around her mouth this evening.

I'm taking her to the vet on Saturday so i'll keep you posted

Thanks everyone for your help!! :champagne:

I really appreciate it