Walking The Dog Log

Daisy

Hi

I am going to join you, I have been lurking in this thread and using it to motivate myself, over the last fortnight I have managed to walk my dogs 10 days which has been a vast improvement compared with before Christmas.

We have been doing a lot of on lead walking and are all benefiting including myself. I have two BCs by the way, one of which is a real couch potato who stay inside all day if he could.

Anyway I am off to walk again before I go to work

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what have I started !!!

This is week 3 for Max with us. And I've walked him every morning at 6 and hubby walks him every afternoon.

Well, this morning I rolled out of bed at 5.55 to get ready, went to the bathroom and promptly came straight back to bed. I don't know what I have, virus, sinus problem, dunno - but head spins and dizzy and that sensation made me feel woozy. So I though I would skip walk this morning.

Then. Hubby got up to make cups of tea before he pops in the shower and he came straight back up to the bedroom and said "I better walk Max". And off he went.

When he got back I asked why he went and he said Max was just going ballistic. Absolute nutty, racing from front to back door knowing that we were about to go. And hubby said he just couldn't ignore him. So even though it made him a bit late, he took him on a 20 minute walk.

I tell you - I think we may have a rain, hail or shine dog ..... I better brace myself for winter - I don't do Melbourne winters all that well (I'm a Brisbane girl through and through).

Sorry, I've been AWOL...I've been having problems getting rid of a migraine and Max hurt his left back leg chasing the cats in the house on Tuesday. So no walkies for us so far this week :eek: I should be good for this afternoon, I will just have to see how Max is doing, if he's not limping then we can take "a stroll" (so the vet says) but then she's never seen Max on a walk! :eek:

well i dragged myself out the door last night as i had been feeling so sorry for them and maya was sitting and scrathing at the front door, it allmost killed me :thumbsup:

Atleast tonight i was feeling so much better and got in a longer walk. I am so pleased that i am getting the dogs out for walks Maya is a new dog she has got so much more energy and looks so happy.

Hope everyone is feeling well

happy walking................ :cheer:

What a horrible experience Max and I have just had. Instead of walking him around the block at the workshop or the vet I made the mistake of trying to walk him around our own block at home. Bad move! The first problem came 5 houses into our walk when we were barked at very aggressively by a Great Dane over a 4 foot wall. :cheer: I was afraid it was just going to step over the wall and eat both of us. His owner stood at the front door yelling at the dog to no avail. 2 houses further down Max was attacked from the rear by a Jack Russell X. He wasn't bitten but when the dog threatened me I yelled and kicked it and it backed off. Fortunately for it I was not wearing my normal steel toe caps.

On the corner another Great Dane and 4 assorted dogs all threatening us with dire consequences should they get out. All along this road the dogs on both sides growled and barked aggressively. Turning the corner we were attacked by another Jack Russell X but this one decided discretion was the better part of valour and took off howling and all I'd done was glare and speak quietly! :thumbsup: By the time we got home I was a nervous wreck. I am reporting both JR X's to the local municipality in the morning for what it's worth. I don't know to where they live exactly but I've got 2 cell phone pics, one of each dog, and a precise area in each street.

Right now I could quite honestly never take Max for a walk again and it would be too soon. :cheer:

What a terrible experience Cuch, I hope Max wasn't too worried. It is very sad that some people just can't keep their dogs in :thumbsup: its like they think the rules don't apply to them or something :cheer:

My 2 boys had their trip to the park again, only about 45 mins as we had to wait for it to stop raining before we went, poor Anna she is very upset with me :cheer: hopefully her leg is all healed up by the weekend.

Oh, that's an awful walk Cuchulain.... but keep it up, don't be put off.

I walked Max this morning in dark and drizzle .... can't say it was that pleasant for me but Max liked it ..... looking forward to the weather fining up again on the weekend for more pleasant strolls.

Well, I wasn't brave enough to try the same walk again today. We ambled around the block at the Vet and had the nicest walk. After 2 minutes of pulling Max decided it was too hot to run or pull and settled into a nice steady walk. Now that his legs are longer that means while he's ambling, I'm walking briskly and in the heat it wasn't really funny but I was grateful he was walking on a loose lead with only the odd stop for a sniff. I think we might be getting somewhere :o

Glad today was better Cuchulain, the walk you described sounds like a nightmare.

Was very hard to get motivated yesterday with the cold and drizzle, gotta love Melbourne's weather!!! So we went for a quick spin around the local showgrounds.

This morning we are going to visit a dog friendly market, close to a river and off leash area so I will the boys will get a good run and swim.

Tomorrow will be a wipeout as I have a 10 hour turn around on shifts and barely have enough time to sleep let alone walk the dogs, sometimes my dad will drop in and walk them if I'm not there. So will check back in on Monday. Happy walking everyone!

Well I have started too as I have just moved into a new area and with a much smaller backyard and no more doggie siblings, Noah needs more walking.

We started today - 8.30am and found a nice 50 min route :o he's already asleep!

:laugh: No walk today as I was at a dog show in PE. My first as a dog owner and as an official. I worked in the office until entries closed, helped on the jumping and agility courses and did 2 stints as a decoy. I found it fascinating and even more of a political minefield than a cat show.

Tomorrow I will take Max with me. We will have to leave home at 04:30 in order to get to the show ground before 06:00 at which time several major routes in and around PE will be closed for a cycle race. I have to say I'm not impressed with this at all as I will only be able to leave after 16:00 when the roads are once again open.

On the upside, Max will spend the day with some of his best doggy friends and we will have a session with one of the agility trainers who has offered to help me with getting Max to focus. :confused: While strictly speaking not a walk I thought you might be interested in our alternate activities :laugh:

That sounds like great fun cuchulain :laugh: I was very lazy yesterday and didn't go out for a walk before work :confused:

I am just getting ready to take my foster girl Matilda to canberra to meet a family who is interested in adopting her, will try to get in a quick walk for her before I put her in the car :laugh:

The problem is that I need to get a long lead...5 to 10 metres..that is soft enough on my hands when she goes spaz with her Zoomies. Any ideas????

I have one here that I had made and haven't used that you are welcome to try if you like. It's just a long dog lead with a handle on it but it's nice enough rope that you can knot it wherever you want and undo it easily. No rope is not going to burn your hands if they take off on you by surprise but if you've got a knot in it with a temporary handle then at least you can hold it. :)

well Matilda has been adopted :laugh: :laugh:

You would think that would mean one less dog to walk, but now I need to start walking Happy as he is well and truly past his quarantine period BUT he should be going to his new home in WA in a few weeks time.

Haven't posted for a while but still walking the Black Menace!

I finally got a long lead...YAH! Its a lunging lead fron a horse shop and its ace. Light and soft on my hands and long enough for Jane to get a really good workout while I still have control. We went up Mt Leura and she was able to leap around the long grass while I walked on the road. It also really helps with training recall while we are walking. I'm rapt!

We also went for a walk along Killarney Beach (near Warrnambool) today and while I was abit nervous about letting her off-lead, I did so as we were with 8 other dogs on an otherwise deserted beach. She had a ball playing and running with the other dogs. When she got hot she just plunged into the water to refresh and off again. The best thing was that she recalled beautifully both with voice and whistle. I called her heaps of times even when she was sniffing a lovely smelly pile of seaweed and also while she was in the water and to my surprise she was great each time.

Have been getting our walks in even managed to take them to the beach tonight for a lovely walk :laugh: . Allways gives me a laugh watching ppl's face's change when they see 4 or 5 staffords walking towards them as was the case tonight. :laugh:

Well done to tho's that have gotten there walks in ;)

I have been slack and have not updated!!

Bos and I have been trying to keep up our walks, but admittedly we did miss a couple last week. If I missed a morning I tried to take him in the afternoon, but some walks were still missed.

Yesterday was our first day back at dog training, and Bos performed so well that the trainer almost told me I need to move up a class, but I just warned her that he is not always so well behaved :D

I wont be able to walk him for a few days either, as I was really smart and all but destroyed my quad at softball on Saturday, so walking for me is out until that heals ;)

Thank dog I dont have a bounce off the walls type of dog lol.

Yesterday was a dead loss and today I hadn't planned to walk them because I had been outside in the garden all day and the dogs spent the day running around and jumping in and out of their clam shell so I figured they had got enough exercise, then my friend rang who I sometimes walk with so they got a run up the park and a swim.

Saturday we walked around the market and they had a swim in the Yarra.

Tomorrow I plan to get up and walk with my friend as she will be walking at 7am, not a morning person, so hopefully if I put here it will be extra motivation