Walking The Dog Log

Daisy

Good to read what everyone has been up to - I am finding it hard to get motivated at the moment - work is full on and the weather is realy hot - but - my son starts footy training next week so the dog and i will be able to do laps of the oval while he trains

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was hard but the last two mornings I have gotten out of bed to walk Noah for 25 mins. Too hot to walk in evening (and I'm not going out at night). I took him to my mum's for playtime run around though.

Well we walked at 7am yesterday. Dogs got a run with my friend's dogs for about 45mins.

Today I planned an afternoon walk but we had thunderstorms from about 2pm until about 8.30pm. The first one was so loud it felt like it was over the top of the house. The dogs have pretty much spent the day inside. When I ventured out at 3pm to go shopping there was a dead dog on the side of the road a couple of doors down, victim of the storm and the 100km road I live on. It had no ID so rang the council. I am so glad my dogs aren't scared of thunderstorms.

We had the most awesome walk this afternoon. First one since last week because of the heat. While it is still hot and humid it is much better than it was :thumbsup: Max was brilliant, most of the walk was completed on a loose lead with very little pulling. Lots of stopping to sniff :D but NOT MUCH PULLING! Yay, I feel like we're making progress.

When I ventured out at 3pm to go shopping there was a dead dog on the side of the road a couple of doors down, victim of the storm and the 100km road I live on.

RIP poor doggy :D

Good on you everyone for getting the walks in :thumbsup: I took Ryan for a walk yesterday morning... now, whose turn is it today? It really should be Hugo's turn but he has had a bit of a limp, so I have been trying to get him to rest - silly dog spends all day running around the back yard though! I might take him for a short walk today.

Glad to see everyone is getting out with there furbies :)

Im getting out with the kids and they are loveing there walks Maya has lost more wieght and starting to look like a new dog and so much more active.

Have a great weekend everyone.xxxxxxx

Hi guys,

I didn't do walkies on the weekend as I had my best friend staying here and we had a really lovely girls weekend :laugh:

But I was back out there this morning walking Ari and Dozer. I have decided not to take those two together again, because Dozer always pulls like a train, and Ari likes to be the 'leader' so I have both of them pulling! Ari is fine on her own or with my old greyhound Clyde becaause he likes a very leisurely stroll and doesn't care if she is in front.

Well we missed a few days due to more thunderstorms and work.

Tonight we got back into it, I met my friend at the park and walked the dogs, then I had an impromptu swim when one of my dogs got his tail caught in a blackberry in the dam/lake at the park. He had of course swam to an area that wasn't accessible from the bank. So in I went fully clothed. Never has dog walking been so interesting!!! :rolleyes:

My friend thought it was hysterical.

We missed walking last night i was just to tired and fell asleep oops!!! but we went out tonight and extented the time poor Maya i thought i was going to have to carry her the last 10min but she made it, was not going to be happy if i had to carry a 18kl dog :rolleyes:

We had an "interesting" walk this afternoon. Since I had work to do at the Vet I opted to walk around their block which, until this afternoon, has been a really nice walk with no loose dogs. Hah! Our first encounter happened outside the estate agent on the corner where some moron had tied a Golden Retriever up around the corner in a doorway and given it a bone. So we come around the corner and into an aggressive resource guarding maniac! Fun! Fun! Fun!

On the 3rd leg of the block we ran into a JRT, obviously recently had pups - also incredibly aggressive and threatening. Her owner thought it was funny when she tried to sneak up behind Max. I crossed over to him and explained quietly that if he didn't get his dog off the road and under control I fully intended reporting him to the police. (An empty threat as our police will do nothing, neither will the municipality but I had to try.) He laughed and said she couldn't hurt my "big dog" and "she doesn't bite." When I explained to him, again very quietly, that Max was only 5 months old and I was honour-bound to protect my young dog. I also pointed out my steel-toe caps and explained that once I was done with his dog I'd start on him! He got the point and picked the dog up and was promptly bitten for his trouble. I had a hard time not laughing! My parting comment was something along the lines of "I thought you said she didn't bite!

I guess I'll keep walking this route for the entertainment value. I wonder how many stitches he needed in his face?

everyone seems to have much more eventful walks than I do :) But I think I should be grateful :) Took the grey boys out for a walk this morning, nothing exciting happened as usual :) Good to hear everyone is still getting out when they can ;)

everyone seems to have much more eventful walks than I do :( But I think I should be grateful :( Took the grey boys out for a walk this morning, nothing exciting happened as usual :) Good to hear everyone is still getting out when they can :p

Geez, Daisy, aren't you the lucky one! Can we swop please? Did the same walk again this afternoon - same issue at the first corner only this time there is somebody with the retriever. I stopped and asked the lady could she please tie her dog up somewhere else because he's causing problems for those of us walking past. I was polite but got an earful for my trouble. Sigh, some people. The problem is, if you don't know the dog is there and you blithely amble around the corner it ambushes you before you know what's happening. Somebody is going to get hurt there, mark my words!

The JRT was not around this afternoon :( but it's owner was supervising staff loading stuff onto a truck, it looks like he got bitten quite badly. One eye is closed up completely, and his face is balloon-like on the side where she bit him. Looking at the length and width of the dressing I'd say he has at least 40 or 50 stitches holding that side of his face together. I feel a bit bad for just walking away yesterday :p but I don't think that I could realistically been of much use with Max around. At the time I didn't think he'd been nailed that badly to be honest and I'm wondering what happened after I left, because there was a lot of shouting and yelping as I turned the corner about 15m further up the road. :love:

oh cuchulain I hope that poor little JRT is ok - moron owner obviously has not bothered doing any sort of constructive training with her, hope she hasn't paid a terrible price for her owners stupidity :(

Took Hugo out this morning, he was a good boy. We did meet an aged labrador that was out the front of its yard, it barked and waddled towards us, then started following us but soon gave up and ambled back home. After a very short tussle with Hugo he focussed on me and we resumed our walk, with only a couple of backward glances. He still has a way to go, but this was much better than he used to be when he would go beserk at the sight of another dog, jumping and lunging towards it, just wanting to play, but nearly pulling my arm out of the socket.

We returned to pounding the pavements last night. Much safer that way. No more swimming for a while for either of us! :( Besides the Boys are off being washed and groomed today.

Daisy, Hugo sounds much improved.

Cuchulain, your neighbourhood sounds a bit feral. Having to run the gauntlet every time you walk Max must be painful.

I'm beginning to think the whole town is feral, jm266! It is very nerve wracking at the moment because I don't know where to walk that's safe for us anymore. I only have a short walk around the block where the workshop is and I'm not sure about that either anymore as on my way in to work I saw a pack of JRTs and a BC 2 streets away with no owners in sight. The beach is also not safe - loose dogs are also an issue there but I'm also afraid of the vagrants who live in the bushes all along our beaches. Perhaps I should have said "I think the whole county is feral"! :crossfingers:

PS will walk at lunch time if it's not too hot.

EFS

Edited by Cuchulain

Another quick spin around the local showgrounds for us tonight.

Cuchulain, it all sounds a bit scary, good on you for keeping up Max's walks. Hope you find somewhere that is safe to walk, It make me appreciate my area where I feel safe enough to walk the dogs at 9 or 10pm. Having said that I do keep to the main roads.

hello, anyone home?? I was awol again on the weekend, I seem to have so much on at the weekends at the moment i am exhausted by the time Monday comes around! Although I didn't go walkies, I had a very doggy day on Sunday, spent most of the day at Gunning Show hanging out at the dog show, which was great fun :champagne:

We didn't go out this morning, but I went for a nice walk this evening, my daughter came too and we took Ari and Happy.