Mornington Shire "one Metre Lead Length Law"

Erny

Dog Law a Little Short on Logic | Herald-Sun

And, ummmm ..... yet another brainless Victorian regulation is voted in by those who are obviously NOT in the know.

A one metre length lead law is supposedly going to solve dog behaviour issues.

Right.

Sure.

Could someone please convince me?

It's not April Fool's Day today, is it?

We've already got an "effective control" law. Why don't they police that one?

No - it is going to be easier to nab people for their more than one metre length lead regardless of their dog's behaviour, good as that behaviour may well be. :rofl: Sheesh.

Edited by Erny

At least something about it made me laugh .... if even it was only your comment, Steve. (ETA Love that emoticon :rofl:) Even then, my laughter is tinged with the sad fact that the thought of evacuation has crossed my mind a few times due to the ridiculous regulations the politicians/councillors have seen fit to put through.

What the heck is wrong with them?

Too much sun on their heads?

Dang this Global Warming.

Hey Steve. Ya got a room for me and my dog? ETA: And my 1.75 metre length lead? :)

Edited by Erny

I live on the Peninsula, and I ring the council at least twice a week about people walking dogs offlead, or dogs roaming - what do they do - ZIP. So this new law will never be enforced.

And as it is only applies to around shops playgrounds etc, where the dreaded swf's tangle people with their extendables, I am quite happy about it. Or have I missed something?

Its just honestly gotten to a point where little surprises me and its harder to find words to explain the stupidity thats going on.

Who are they listening to? What are they thinking?

Sooner or later there has to be a battle and votes are going to count . Time we all stood united so we outnumber the ratbags.

And as it is only applies to around shops playgrounds etc, where the dreaded swf's tangle people with their extendables, I am quite happy about it. Or have I missed something?

I walk my dog on a 1.75m length lead. In more densely populated areas (eg. mainstream streets where people walk past) I fold my lead to the desired length suitable for that situation. But by the letter of this law, I could be nabbed.

Restriction to a 1 metre length lead is not going to solve anything. BUT with that law, the ranger doesn't have to catch irresponsible dog owners with their unruly, ineffectively controlled dogs. All they have to do is ask to measure your lead and you can be done.

I have always been opposed to extender leads. More for training reasons, than anything else. There are already laws in place which set a minimum distance at which you can bring your dog near playgrounds (I think it is 20m). So the 1metre dog lead rule is irrelevant in that instance.

If I walked a swf (or sbf for that matter :rofl: ) on a one metre length lead, I'd be part way stooped over and/or the lead would have a permanent tension on it (or I'd need to hold my arm uncomfortably outstretched).

ETA: And Anniek, it's the whole thing about ban after ban after ban after .......

Edited by Erny

Its just honestly gotten to a point where little surprises me and its harder to find words to explain the stupidity thats going on.

Who are they listening to? What are they thinking?

Sooner or later there has to be a battle and votes are going to count . Time we all stood united so we outnumber the ratbags.

Yep.

We need a dog lobby group.

Edited by Erny

My son is 2 metres 25 cms tall and he walks a beagle - doesnt leave much room for lifting your hand above your knee cap. :rofl:

edited because I mucked up the conversion of inches to cms.

Edited by Steve

Eeeewwweeeee !! That's tall !!

You obviously ate your wheatbix when you were preggers with him LOL.

Good thing he doesn't live in Victoria. Walking dogs on a 1 metre lead would do him skeletal harm.

Edited by Erny

5.gif

That's crazy. Have the legislators been sipping too much Yarra water? Kneeling on the bank at full moon with 1m long straws?

So, you take your dog on a 1.5m lead, and you change to a 1 m lead near schools/shops etc?

What happens if you are a 6' tall man with a chihuahua? Or a dacshund?

What happens if the dog is prone to rush off? there is no slack in the lead, so he can catch you unaware and nick off, which he can't do if you have longer lead - held close in your left hand, with the slack in your right.

Who does make these laws?

The same people who want "insert batteries here" dogs?

Again, no one will take any notice until someone is caught and fined.

And it wont be someone doing anything wrong.

Too many wrong laws, People need to be aware of ALL these numpty laws.

Yes Bryan you're right I rang him and I had the calculation from feet to cms wrong he is 225cm - 7 feet 4'' and a bit.Ill go back and edit the figure. :rofl:

He has size 19 feet :laugh: He's just been home for Christmas and had to go to the chiro because sleeping in normal beds while he has been travelling made him ache.He's 32 now but as he was growing I was poverty stricken trying to keep him in shoes.He was really thin back then too so clothing had to be altered a lot. Im only 5 feet 3" [you can do the conversion]and his Dad is 6 feet 4" so we always blamed his dad's genes.But I have a son turning 13 this week now [different Dad] who has always been way taller than kids his own age and his hormones are just cutting in and he's growing right before my eyes too and he's going to be pretty tall too. His dad is only 5 feet 10" [ a shorty].My parents were both really short and so were their siblings and there's no one in my second hubby's family over 6 feet.Its got me buggered how I did it. ;) One of my grand daughters is just under 5 feet and she is turning 7 but she is big all over - not just long.

Ive got 8 kids and all but one of my 4 daughters is up around the 6 feet mark too.