Mornington Shire "one Metre Lead Length Law"

Erny

And it wont be someone doing anything wrong.

No - it will simply be someone they want to make an example of.

An example of their power.

And what easier person to do that to but one that is not hiding, but merely and innocently taking their dog for a nice walk.

OT: being unusually tall with slim build and also having long fingers can be an indicator of Marfan Syndrome.

My friends son has it,there are other associated problems with it too-eye probs,growth (normally requiring surgeries) and heart probs.

Sorry OT :cry:

Yes Bryan you're right I rang him and I had the calculation from feet to cms wrong he is 225cm - 7 feet 4'' and a bit.Ill go back and edit the figure. :cry:

He has size 19 feet :shrug: He's just been home for Christmas and had to go to the chiro because sleeping in normal beds while he has been travelling made him ache.He's 32 now but as he was growing I was poverty stricken trying to keep him in shoes.He was really thin back then too so clothing had to be altered a lot. Im only 5 feet 3" [you can do the conversion]and his Dad is 6 feet 4" so we always blamed his dad's genes.But I have a son turning 13 this week now [different Dad] who has always been way taller than kids his own age and his hormones are just cutting in and he's growing right before my eyes too and he's going to be pretty tall too. His dad is only 5 feet 10" [ a shorty].My parents were both really short and so were their siblings and there's no one in my second hubby's family over 6 feet.Its got me buggered how I did it. :cry: One of my grand daughters is just under 5 feet and she is turning 7 but she is big all over - not just long.

Ive got 8 kids and all but one of my 4 daughters is up around the 6 feet mark too.

Wow. You are really breeding to the extreme of the standard!!! I have always felt at 6feet 3" I am on the cusp of what society regards as normal and that my brother at 6feet8" inches is circus material. You have out done us completely.

Yes Bryan you're right I rang him and I had the calculation from feet to cms wrong he is 225cm - 7 feet 4'' and a bit.Ill go back and edit the figure. :thumbsup:

He has size 19 feet :thumbsup: He's just been home for Christmas and had to go to the chiro because sleeping in normal beds while he has been travelling made him ache.He's 32 now but as he was growing I was poverty stricken trying to keep him in shoes.He was really thin back then too so clothing had to be altered a lot. Im only 5 feet 3" [you can do the conversion]and his Dad is 6 feet 4" so we always blamed his dad's genes.But I have a son turning 13 this week now [different Dad] who has always been way taller than kids his own age and his hormones are just cutting in and he's growing right before my eyes too and he's going to be pretty tall too. His dad is only 5 feet 10" [ a shorty].My parents were both really short and so were their siblings and there's no one in my second hubby's family over 6 feet.Its got me buggered how I did it. :thumbsup: One of my grand daughters is just under 5 feet and she is turning 7 but she is big all over - not just long.

Ive got 8 kids and all but one of my 4 daughters is up around the 6 feet mark too.

Wow. You are really breeding to the extreme of the standard!!! I have always felt at 6feet 3" I am on the cusp of what society regards as normal and that my brother at 6feet8" inches is circus material. You have out done us completely.

naughty steve, you realise you may be labled as being an extreme breeder? n not adhering to the breed standard! :thumbsup:

Yes Bryan you're right I rang him and I had the calculation from feet to cms wrong he is 225cm - 7 feet 4'' and a bit.Ill go back and edit the figure. :thumbsup:

He has size 19 feet :thumbsup: He's just been home for Christmas and had to go to the chiro because sleeping in normal beds while he has been travelling made him ache.He's 32 now but as he was growing I was poverty stricken trying to keep him in shoes.He was really thin back then too so clothing had to be altered a lot. Im only 5 feet 3" [you can do the conversion]and his Dad is 6 feet 4" so we always blamed his dad's genes.But I have a son turning 13 this week now [different Dad] who has always been way taller than kids his own age and his hormones are just cutting in and he's growing right before my eyes too and he's going to be pretty tall too. His dad is only 5 feet 10" [ a shorty].My parents were both really short and so were their siblings and there's no one in my second hubby's family over 6 feet.Its got me buggered how I did it. :thumbsup: One of my grand daughters is just under 5 feet and she is turning 7 but she is big all over - not just long.

We had thousands of tests done and his hands and fingers actually look small for his size - He's just a big boy - perfectly healthy.

Never had a taste of alcohol and never had a cigarette or drugs either in his life. He was pretty thin around mid teens but well covered before that and now he's about right and 2 pick handles wide. :thumbsup: He's good to go shopping with because you dont loose him - he can see over all the shelves and you can spot him a mile away. :thumbsup:

We had thousands of tests done and his hands and fingers actually look small for his size - He's just a big boy - perfectly healthy.

Never had a taste of alcohol and never had a cigarette or drugs either in his life. He was pretty thin around mid teens but well covered before that and now he's about right and 2 pick handles wide. :thumbsup: He's good to go shopping with because you dont loose him - he can see over all the shelves and you can spot him a mile away. :thumbsup:

I have a stepson thats 2 pick handles wide, ok not that extreme in height, but at 6 ' 3'', its easy to spot him and as for handy to have around when my ex lobs into view, n decided to come at me like he used too before i escaped, then realised the intendend punching bag wasnt alone, PRICELESS.

I live on the Peninsula, and I ring the council at least twice a week about people walking dogs offlead, or dogs roaming - what do they do - ZIP. So this new law will never be enforced.

And as it is only applies to around shops playgrounds etc, where the dreaded swf's tangle people with their extendables, I am quite happy about it. Or have I missed something?

I sometimes walk at a Peninsula golf course/park which is an on lead area but a lot of people have their dogs off lead. Lately there have been signs up reminding people that dogs should be on lead and spot checks by rangers. However the golf course is on a hill and the ranger is not too fit hence most people walk up the top…

But I was talking to the ranger when she was doing the spot checks the other day and I had my dog on a 6m long lead. She commented about the lead being long but said nothing else. :thumbsup:

LOL, well it's not funny really

Councils can't even get people to put their dogs on lead where and when required, how in the hell will the police somthing like that.

They can't, and that will suit them when they hand out fines for doggies breaking the one metre law.

Bloody moronic.....

Exactly! I was at Lillydale Lake last week and there were offlead dogs EVERYWHERE! Dozens of them - swimming in the lake, running on the beach, playing on grass... I thought 'Great! Didn't know this place was offlead! Will bring my dogs next time!". However, on my way out, I passed several signs that read "NO DOGS ON BEACH", 'ALL DOGS MUST BE ON LEADS", etc.

I found a stray today. A Bully breed, btw. And so docile. He was wondering through an 'event' that Pro-K9 was attending - children and dogs everywhere. This dog was so good and paid no mind to any one or any dog. BUT, I was concerned about what might happen (roads etc) if he was left there so I used my ............................ 1.5 metre :cry::rainbowbridge: lead to catch him with and took him to the Vet's for scanning.

Edited by Erny

I would have thought the police have their work cut out now with the bashings and shooting going on around Melbourne, never mind the everyday robberies etc. The state will be a lot safer with dogs on short leads though I suppose!!! :)

The same people will still walk around with their dogs offlead thinking the law doesn't apply to them. This law will go the same way as 'all cyclists must wear a helmet' and 'all hard to read numberplates must be replaced'. Remember them??? :rofl:

Wolfclan - it would more than likely be the Council Rangers who 'police' this new bi-law. But even still, I would have thought they'd have more important jobs to do too. Although this one would bring them in some more ready cash without the hassle.

Thing is, our State seems to be trying to outlaw stupidity. That will never happen by banning things. All that does is targets the more sensible people who would most likely use their own common sense discretion about how long their lead should be when in crowded areas. Generally, the 'stupid' people (ie no common sense) carry on oblivious.

Edited by Erny

Yes it is ridiculous, BUT ALSO, this article is typical of the media BLOWING THINGS OUT OF PROPORTION.....read below how the rule is to apply..... (it does say this in the middle of the article)

The rule applies when a dog is within 5m of any playground or play equipment, a sporting event or training ground, at permanent public barbecues and on shared pathways.

Yes - but Nynka, I have a 1.75m lead. By the Council's rule alone, I could get nabbed for that, even though I fold it and hold it to suitable length according to the environment and what I am doing at the time. Setting a lead length such as 1 metre is IMO ridiculous not only for the fact that does not take into account the differential height between handler/dog.

I thought the Councils had already placed a "no dog within X metre distance of playground/BBQ area". Perhaps not every Council has done that, and/or perhaps the prohibition on distance is different for each Council.

But that's beside the point.

We have so many prohibitions/laws imposed on us and the only one it seems to affect are the ones who were already using common sense and being responsible dog handlers in the first place. And we're the one's who are easier to 'get' and the ones who, in our law abiding way, usually pay the fines.

As I mentioned - you can't legislate against stupid people.

Edited by Erny

Instead of introducing more and more stupid laws like this one what about enforcing some of the sensible ones they already have. Don't know about everyone else but I would like to be able to take my dog for a walk withour being threatened/attacked by free roaming dogs. But then that would tak e time and effort wouldn't it.

Wolfclan - it would more than likely be the Council Rangers who 'police' this new bi-law. But even still, I would have thought they'd have more important jobs to do too. Although this one would bring them in some more ready cash without the hassle.

In that case we probably don't have much to worry about. We've lived here for nearly 3 years and I can't ever remember seeing one of those. Lots of dogs being walked off lead though, even in the shopping areas. As you say, an easy way to get some cash without really clamping down on the real culprits.