Allergies And Prednisolone

you know, I've seen a lot of dogs with bad skin over my 5 years in clinic, and obviously I'm not around them 24/7 but I talk to a lot of people and I think I can honestly say without a doubt, that Orbit is the worst case of atopy I have ever seen in a dog. It really sucks.

I would give anything to be able to say I have things 'under control' without medication but I think I have to resign myself to the fact it's never going to be and he's just really unfortunately. But, he's also fortunate he has no bad side effects to the pred, so I guess we're lucky that we can use that to get by.

But oh what I wouldn't give for just one whole day that wasn't spent having to think about Orbit's skin.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You guys certainly have a rough go of it and I really feel for you :)

We're certainly not under control with out meds either, we're just lucky that we're antihistamine responsive and can use them, instead of pred. And I'm really thankful for it, as it appears both my guys may have negative reactions to pred now.

I have noticed that mason's one back paw is really red again and yesterday was his first day on only the Hills ZD, when he goes to the loo he is making runny blobs and his stomach seems to be cramping..... I am not happy and Mason is even less happy.

I have noticed that mason's one back paw is really red again and yesterday was his first day on only the Hills ZD, when he goes to the loo he is making runny blobs and his stomach seems to be cramping..... I am not happy and Mason is even less happy.

Normal reaction to Hills ZD at our place !! Vets seem to push this but it doesn't seem to work my lot.

Edited by Meea

Normal reaction to Hills ZD at our place !! Vets seem to push this but it doesn't seem to work my lot.

Really? I am glad that I am not the only one who seems to have this problem! Instead of trying all this commercial food I would rather try raw or something that is prepared here at home, I liked Holistic Select as it had the least amount of 'unatural' things in for a dry kibble.

Really? I am glad that I am not the only one who seems to have this problem! Instead of trying all this commercial food I would rather try raw or something that is prepared here at home, I liked Holistic Select as it had the least amount of 'unatural' things in for a dry kibble.

I guess the question you need to ask yourself is do you think Mason has a food allergy, up until now you have always thought that it was environmental. If you are unsure or say yes - then you need to work out what it is he is allergic to and the only way to do that is through the elimination diet and you have to be really strict. But at least at the end of it you would have a list of foods that he can and can't eat.

I guess the question you need to ask yourself is do you think Mason has a food allergy, up until now you have always thought that it was environmental. If you are unsure or say yes - then you need to work out what it is he is allergic to and the only way to do that is through the elimination diet and you have to be really strict. But at least at the end of it you would have a list of foods that he can and can't eat.

We have done the fish only diet and that made little difference and now the vet asked us to do the Hills only for 2 months which I am prepared to do but in all honesty I dont want my dog to suffer through these loose stools and stomach cramps and then be told ' oh he has to just stay on it for awhile longer' to me if something disagrees with you it disagrees with you and you should not have to keep on with it. Not sure what is in the other foods that he is not ok with but whatever it is its not in the Holistic Select as he can eat that and not get the runs, he isnt itching on Hills but then he is on cortisone and anti-histamines so he would probably not be itching on the Holistic Select right now too.