Rally-o

Rally is pretty new in NZ, and I believe it is the same on Oz too...? So far only a few people have actually gotten their RN title under the southern region rules (the one that NZKC endorse) and only a handful more have gotten it under the NZARO rules! Paris has gotten her first leg towards our RN title, and we have a triple rally show this coming weekend that in theory we have a chance of getting a 90+ score in 2 of the 3 shows and getting our title too!! I'm excited to be getting into it, I have seen it and looked at stuff online, but only entered the one show so far, so it's neat to be in on the sport when it's at such infancy in NZ! I look forward to one day being able to look back on these first trials and seeing how far the sport has grown!!!

Who else does rally?? I will get some photos this weekend to share when we get home. Does anyone have particular tips or anything??

FD

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just counted up the dogs on my schedule - there's 35 dogs entered in novice (16 in A, 19 in B) and because it's a triple show, there's potential for all those dogs to get their RN title in one weekend!!! There are only three in the advanced class, as they are the only ones with their RN title already!

If you didn't know, to get our RN title in NZ, you need three separate scores of 90 or more under at least two different judges. We got our first qualifying score on our first attempt at entering the class (for a 'bit of fun'!) so having got one, we decided we'd better try for the other two!! lol. Fingers crossed for this weekend to perhaps do that!

I got it!!! Paris is now officially got the "RN" - Rally Novice - title on her name! WOOOT! A whole heap of people got their RN titles this weekend, to add to the three others in the country who already have theirs, and ONE person in NZ now has their advanced title (RA) tooo!!!

All photos are here: http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/fly...C%20Jan%202010/

they are mainly of me & Paris, and a friend; Jack and his poodle Saffy (he made one silly mistake that meant he didn't quite get his RA title this weekend too, but he only needs one more qualifying certificate to get it!) there are also prize-giving photos of most of the classes too.

LOTS of fun!!! I'm SO chuffed to have our first ever title, and to be part of this fun new sport in NZ! Keep pushing for Rally in oz, it's worth it!!!

:D HUGE Congrats :D

We dont yet have it here In Sydney

but I, for one , would LOVE to give it a go when it does come !

I think Angeldust ? on this forum from Canada is a Judge and is trying to get it off the ground :D

:D :rofl: WELL DONE TO YOU :rofl::cheer::thumbsup:

Edited by Amerykus

:laugh: HUGE Congrats ;)

We dont yet have it here In Sydney

but I, for one , would LOVE to give it a go when it does come !

I think Angeldust ? on this forum from Canada is a Judge and is trying to get it off the ground :)

:(:thumbsup: WELL DONE TO YOU :offtopic::offtopic: ;)

We have Rally here on the sunshine Coast - QLD. They train at the same oval as us ( flyball) - it does look like fun!!

• 3 weeks later...
What is it exactly?

A different style of obedience with a 'course' (like in agility). There are numbered signs that has instructions of what the dog and handler must perform (e.g. halt and sit, 360 degree turn, side step, fast pace, etc). Before the trial starts all the handlers are allowed to enter the ring and 'walk the course'. During the trial, if you screw up a particular sign you can re-do it. You are allowed to talk to your dog the whole way through, too. It's a lot of fun! When it's done properly it's almost like a dance.

My retired obedience/agility/tracking Border collie and I had her first go at Rally recently (also in NZ), thought it was lots of fun and we qualified despite my worry I was going to stuff her up! Good to see all the dogs looking so happy in their work. I think it will be great for older dogs like mine, and people who aren't keen on the precision work of competitive obedience.

Rally O is great - Zero has a tendency to get a little distracted during formal obedience because I don't have food on me. In rally o, he's a lot more focussed because I can talk to him the whole way around, give him praise and give him all the cues I want.

I can't wait until it really takes off here!

I read through the propsed rules the other day and it sounds very exciting and very much like something I could get into. I just don't understand one thing about the stations, is it like the whole group doing the one station or individually and are they spread apart or does the steward just hold up a dfferent sign? :laugh:

Short answer...neither.....let me explain quickly;

the course is set out in the field and would remind you of an agility course in that each 'station' is numbered and you walk the course without a dog prior to attempting it.

At each station, you do what the sign says and move on to the next station. The judge only says 'forward' to get you going, and then you are on your own. You do the course alone and on lead for Novice, (off for the other two levels)

http://z3.invisionfree.com/RallyODownUnder/

Rally is what I call 'agility for slow people' and I don't mean slow as in "not smart" I mean slow as in some of us can't run in agility like we used to! Rally makes you use a LOT of your brain!