Rally-o

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The signs are exactly as you see them in the rules really, with the words and the symbols. If you have read through them and understand what they mean, then you'll be fine on the day! And because you can all walk the course you can go over and over any particular sign you want if you're having trouble working out your footwork or something. Also note that everyone in the class will be right there working it all out while walking it too, so you can work together on remembering the signs etc. And, especially because it's so very new, the judges are right there too, as they have designed their course and they KNOW which signs they put out there, so you can definitely ask them for help on working out the nitty wee details about any sign you're not sure about.

I generally walk the course once, working out all WHAT the signs are today (remembering if there's a halt (sit) or not etc), and just sussing out in what directions it all goes in. I then go around it again, doing it 'properly' imagining my dog beside me, saying the commands I'd say to her, working out my footwork etc. I then go over it at least once or twice more to get it right into my mind, basically until I can confidently walk the course pretending I have my dog, do the sign, and make the correct turns without having to stop and go "ummm...." anywhere! lol. I can easily do as many 'walk throughs' as needed in the time given before the class starts. :laugh:

And yeah, it's all laid out on the ground with the whole signs in FULL display infront of you at every marker, so no trying to memorise which signs were where or trying to remember if there's a left turn or something. No need to worry if you can hear the steward or anything for the incorrect turns either because there's no one telling you where to go AT ALL, you just follow the signs, in your own time, exactly as you did when you 'walked the course', except this time you DO have your dog with you instead of just pretending. hehe!

Jak and Saffy have now got their Rally Advanced title too, and I'm looking forward to our first advanced course soon!!! :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

anyone in the Myrtleford area: The Ovens Valley Canine Club is holding a fun day in association with the Myrtleford Festival this coming Sunday (March 7th) at the show grounds beginning at 9am. We will be having a rally course set up for those wanting to give it a go, as well as some agility equipment and flyball. I beleive there is to be a sausage sizzle as well. Come on out if you are in the area and have some fun with your dog and give Rally a try. (yes I'll be there putting on of the GSD's through it as well as offering help to those interested)

eta: This is in Victoria...sorry, forgot to put the state! Don't forget that the OVCC shows are coming up soon and the show secretary will be there to take entries!

Edited by angelsun

• 4 weeks later...
What is it exactly?

A different style of obedience with a 'course' (like in agility). There are numbered signs that has instructions of what the dog and handler must perform (e.g. halt and sit, 360 degree turn, side step, fast pace, etc). Before the trial starts all the handlers are allowed to enter the ring and 'walk the course'. During the trial, if you screw up a particular sign you can re-do it. You are allowed to talk to your dog the whole way through, too. It's a lot of fun! When it's done properly it's almost like a dance.

Awesome!

So, question....what happens if you dog won't do what the sign says such as

1) They refuse to do it

2) They don't know how to do it

i.e. Spin with a Dane *giggle*

Has Rally-O been approved yet?

• 2 weeks later...
So, question....what happens if you dog won't do what the sign says such as

1) They refuse to do it

2) They don't know how to do it

i.e. Spin with a Dane *giggle*

Has Rally-O been approved yet?

If the handler attempts the sign but the dog can not or will not do it, they are deducted points (in the system being used here, it is ten points)

If they don't know how to do it, but attempt it, same deductions and a quiet word by the judge after to practice, practice, practice! ;)

Rally O is well on the way to being approved at this point. We are hoping unless something goes wrong to see this accredited for Jan 1/11

Rally O is well on the way to being approved at this point. We are hoping unless something goes wrong to see this accredited for Jan 1/11

That's exciting :cry: .

OK...you have me very curious about this. I have bloodhounds & therefore obedience & agility are not always their forte..although there are some brilliant hounds out there that excel, especially in the US were they hold alot of competitions. Rally is something that this breed seem to do well at...especially seeing you can have them on lead through to Novice.

Now my question....is there any clubs in Sydney/Newcastle/Hunter or surrounds that hold training days as well as competition days & if so, could you please advise. My two girls are actually VERY switched on, so I think they would LOVE it...the boy on the other hand would prefer to remain asleep in the trailer..LOL...

Any info would be appreciated!!!

I can't help you re: classes, but I can tell you that Rally is a sport that every dog, regardless of the breed can excel at. With the positive attitude used during the run, dogs that generally could care less about obedience, tend to really respond, and this is beyond the Novice level, so on lead or off, the dogs are more hyped about this sort of thing simply because (and this applies a lot to hounds that I find get bored easily with same old/same old) the unknown course and actions that have to be done. The dogs are always guessing and never get tired of it.

I've done my share of trialling with Doxies, and have judged borzoi and whippets and other hounds. I can't say that they are at less of an advantage because of their breed. It is also nice to see breeds in the obedience ring that normally aren't seen and proves that hounds CAN do this sort of thing and do it well!

I can't help you re: classes, but I can tell you that Rally is a sport that every dog, regardless of the breed can excel at. With the positive attitude used during the run, dogs that generally could care less about obedience, tend to really respond, and this is beyond the Novice level, so on lead or off, the dogs are more hyped about this sort of thing simply because (and this applies a lot to hounds that I find get bored easily with same old/same old) the unknown course and actions that have to be done. The dogs are always guessing and never get tired of it.

I've done my share of trialling with Doxies, and have judged borzoi and whippets and other hounds. I can't say that they are at less of an advantage because of their breed. It is also nice to see breeds in the obedience ring that normally aren't seen and proves that hounds CAN do this sort of thing and do it well!

Thanks Angelsun

i agree that it is great to see other breeds doing sports that they are normally not considered suitable. Any thoughts on where I can start looking re training? I will look at Dogs NSW website & go from there I guess...but if anyone has any leads I would love to hear.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Chiming in a bit late here, have been on the big island a few weeks, hanging out at Sydney Royal and participating in Tracking workshop last weekend in VIC (thanks Tracking Club Vic for a great weekend!)

Here are a couple more photo/video links to show more Rally-O in action

http://www.jancollett.com/albums/dogzone/rallyo/index.html

http://www.tdtc.org.au/photo-gallery/tdtc-...o-workshop-2009

Tassie has been quite proactive with Rally-O, had Angelsun for two workshops last year, south and north, and holding fairly frequent mock trials - upcoming:

Ulverstone, 9th May

Launceston, 27th June

New Norfolk (GSD), 18th July

Keeping all fingers, toes and paws crossed that it will be sanctioned next year!

If your area has been a bit slow on take-up, need to get Angelsun out for a workshop - great value and will pump everyone up with enthusiasm.

Chiming in a bit late here, have been on the big island a few weeks, hanging out at Sydney Royal and participating in Tracking workshop last weekend in VIC (thanks Tracking Club Vic for a great weekend!)

Here are a couple more photo/video links to show more Rally-O in action

http://www.jancollett.com/albums/dogzone/rallyo/index.html

http://www.tdtc.org.au/photo-gallery/tdtc-...o-workshop-2009

Tassie has been quite proactive with Rally-O, had Angelsun for two workshops last year, south and north, and holding fairly frequent mock trials - upcoming:

Ulverstone, 9th May

Launceston, 27th June

New Norfolk (GSD), 18th July

Keeping all fingers, toes and paws crossed that it will be sanctioned next year!

If your area has been a bit slow on take-up, need to get Angelsun out for a workshop - great value and will pump everyone up with enthusiasm.

I just can't find anyone/any club near Sydney or Newcastle that do it...I keep hitting dead ends. I would LOVE to find somewhere that did. As I have bloodhounds, a breed that aren't particularly suited to trial obedience, Rally O seems ideal and many BH owners in the US do it & say their hounds love it!

Once again, I throw it our there for anyone to give me a few leads...

Cheers

I just can't find anyone/any club near Sydney or Newcastle that do it...I keep hitting dead ends. I would LOVE to find somewhere that did. As I have bloodhounds, a breed that aren't particularly suited to trial obedience, Rally O seems ideal and many BH owners in the US do it & say their hounds love it!

Cheers

I believe there's a club in Sutherland that is keen on Rally-O, they've had Angelsun up for a workshop. Or is that just a bit too far south for you?

Cheers

I believe there's a club in Sutherland that is keen on Rally-O, they've had Angelsun up for a workshop. Or is that just a bit too far south for you?

I did contact them but unfortunately they weren't able to assist. As I would obviously need to train as well, Sutherland is over 2 hours from me..so possibly a little too far on a regular basis. I will keep hunting around & hopefully something will turn up. :thumbsup:

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder for those in Perth and area about the Rally seminar coming up the first weekend in July.

As well, if you are an obedience judge in that area, there will be a judges training seminar on the MONDAY following the two day seminar to prepare you for how to mark, design and preside over a trial.