Rally-o

Wanted to let folks know about the VERY successful event that took place in Hobart over the weekend. The TCA gathered the ENTIRE contingent of obedience judges, less one, and I was invited to instruct them on course design, marking and ring proceedures. We got a bit of a late start due to a couple judge arriving late due to a traffic accident which resulted in them adding a few kilometres to their trip, but we got right into it, and covered a LOT of ground.

Special thanks to Dot and her demo dogs Bear and Annie and Jan with Ceasar, who did the courses and were marked by the entire group at the same time, in order to better understand how to do it, where to look and what some missed and others saw! Although some of the judges straight up told me in the morning that they were overwhelmed and somewhat confused about this sport, by the end of the day, they said they felt FAR more comfortable and were much more confident about it all!!

On Sunday, Hobart Training club asked me to judge their mock trial and we had a nice size entry for both Novice and Advanced. As well, we had a couple of instructors from another club that had come over to watch and learn as I ran the trial, and a couple of the judges returned on Sunday to observe the 'real thing' happening.

Congratulations to the Hobart club for their training program in this sport. I am VERY impressed overall with the level of ability that they are showing and the handlers and dogs should be very proud of the hard work they have done as it's paying off!!

I want to thank Dot and Derek Baverstock for their hospitality once again as they drove me to and from the airport and the club site and of course such great hosts (which included a lovely glass of dry white wine or two) for when we weren't working. Naturally ofcourse we still talked dogs as you do!

I'm very much looking forward to the Perth event, which is the two day seminar on basics and then the judges seminar on the Monday. I"m also hoping that potential stewards might be interested in attending that day as there is a section that's very important for them covered as well. Instructors are encouraged to attend the seminars to better be prepared to teach this sport.

As well, I want to add that we still have some work to do to ensure that this sport is recognized. We can't sit back and wait and let others do the work. There are still MANY clubs and people that know nothing about Rally, and many die hard obedience people that are influencial within their state bodies and the ANKC that we must educate about this sport and express our wishes that it be approved by the ANKC.

A number of us will be contacting as many clubs as we can with a letter of information about Rally and hoping that they in turn will contact their appropriate obedience council reps and express their wishes that this sport be recognized. We are close to getting things done, but we can't assume anything as I know that there are some obedience judges that firstly don't understand the sport, secondly think it's sloppy obedience or second rate, and as a result will not support this sport as a recognized ANKC event.

For anyone out there in clubs or holding any position of influence, please contact me with your details so that I can help you spread the word. For those reading this, take it to your club at your next training session or meeting and put it in the hands of whoever it should go to. It is imperative that we keep spreading the word about this amazing sport, and what it can offer to those that choose to participate in it.

We are also currently working on getting a Brisbane or area seminar(s) up and going, so stay tuned for more information on that. I also would ask anyone in NSW and ACT that might be interested, be it individual or club, to please get in touch with me so that I can offer more information and possibly schedule a seminar to get them on track and training as well as explain what this is and why it would be so beneficial and work in conjunction with traditional obedience.

Anyone is free to email me at [email protected]

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we have rally o here now, but I've not tried it yet. Can't wait though :mad

Where abouts Monah ? :laugh:

hey MTD, there is a few of us that are training it here in Gympie on and off... however Lyn from Pawtential dog training holds regular sessions from what i know down Nambour way... google pawtential dog training you should be able to find her contact details...

otherwise if your interested in helping getting a club going in Gympie maybe we could work something out...

:grouphug: Yay it's only a week away. Yesterday I thought I wasn't going to be able to go because of work(my manager couldn't decide if she was coming or going) and I even advertised my spot but as of this afternoon I can definitely go :) . I think this seminar will be great for my current training motivation slump :) - It'll be a new challenge ;) .

We are expecting a very large crowd next weekend. don't forget if you have a laptop, to bring it along and a long power cord as you can easily follow along in the powerpoint presentation.

I've got a ton of paperwork to get ready since I've found out how many are expected!!

Oh and for those attending....I'm the one with the accent :rofl:

My dog and I competed in Launceston today, there were about 12 dogs competing. The whole day was very well planned with a "dummy run" course set up that you take you dog through to practice. When the competing course was set up handlers had 10 minutes to walk through and get to know the it with out the dog. We were also given maps of the course to help understand it.

My dog and I ended up with a score of 88/100. My dog perfomed really well but I lost lots of points for having too tight a lead and at one station we were meant to halt but in my nervousness I rushed though so lost 10 points for that.

I loved the day and the more experienced handlers were very happy to answer any questions. The judge was Jan and she was very informative. Cant wait for the mext meet.

:rofl: Yay it's only a week away. Yesterday I thought I wasn't going to be able to go because of work(my manager couldn't decide if she was coming or going) and I even advertised my spot but as of this afternoon I can definitely go :) . I think this seminar will be great for my current training motivation slump :rofl: - It'll be a new challenge :eek: .

I take that back I can't go :rofl: .

Is there any club in Melbourne doing Rally O? I would love to see it in action when I am on holidays in September.

A friend and I do a sort of Rally O work out with our dogs every week or two interspersed with general training and it really perks them up!

annie

I've only done a seminar in Geelong, so I don't know of any other club that's doing it (either correctly or not) The other club in Victoria has been Shepparton....for some reason, Victoria has been a hard sell on this sport, but we're working hard to change that!

King Valley Kennel Club will be hosting a seminar in the next few months but that's in the North East although folks in Tassie travelled from north to Hobart for both times I was down there.

The judge was Jan and she was very informative. Cant wait for the mext meet.

Jan has turned out to be an excellant course designer and judge. She's new into this sport as are so many, but has really grasped it and understands it well and won't accept sloppy obedience practices (which is unfortunately what many feel this is until we can get them to see that in reality it can be a lot harder to perform) I chat with Jan frequently over courses and marking and am hoping to sneak a trip into Launceston in early September and attend a match at the local club as well as do some more touristy stuff as I've really enjoyed my time in Tasmania the three times I've been asked to go down.

Sorry to hear you can't make it Tiggy but perhaps things will change before the end of the week and you can come along.

Angelsun now I have a warning how you can look out for me. I own the Chesapeake who has had two surgeries in the last 2 months so has had almost zilch training time. :love: He will focus on me (esp if I have food) but him being able to do Rally stations is doubtful. :) So when you see the person attempting to heel with a dog who gets so ecited he keep doing vertical leaps up to his owners shoulder height, you've found me. :laugh:

My dog and I competed in Launceston today, there were about 12 dogs competing. The whole day was very well planned with a "dummy run" course set up that you take you dog through to practice. When the competing course was set up handlers had 10 minutes to walk through and get to know the it with out the dog. We were also given maps of the course to help understand it.

My dog and I ended up with a score of 88/100. My dog perfomed really well but I lost lots of points for having too tight a lead and at one station we were meant to halt but in my nervousness I rushed though so lost 10 points for that.

I loved the day and the more experienced handlers were very happy to answer any questions. The judge was Jan and she was very informative. Cant wait for the mext meet.

I heard every one had a good day :eek:

Especially one lady with two grey gundogs :eek:

Nettie.....hmm are you the owner of one "shaggy" Flynn?? :eek:

Have those attending this Saturday/Sunday received their confirmation email and instructions for the day? I haven't received one yet so will ask Thursday night about it, but just in case anybody has it and can give me any of the info sooner, would be much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I want this in SA

I've been trying to get to SA for almost two years now....I thought I was going to be over there in December this year to do the seminar but it's been pushed off (by the group that was to host the event)

Basically, if a group wants the seminar, they don't have to be a club, just a group of interested people.....need an area for the classroom stuff on the Saturday and a space for the practical on the sunday. Although MOST of the seminars are hosted by a club, it's not necessary, we just need an energetic and organized person to oversee things and take registrations, arrange space and take care of what will be catered (for lunch and morning tea)

My concern with the delay in SA (if it happens at all) is that the people/clubs/judges simply won't be ready when this is accredited and this creates frustration, which results in lack of participation.

I can't seem to get it across hard enough, how much more difficult this sport is (from a judging point of view) and how much more time and energy is required to prepare for trials. We are constantly battling misinformation that this is simply fun or easy....yes it's fun....and it's only easy if the judge sets up a boring course without challenges....I've had many occasions where the UD trained team doesn't pass the Novice Rally course...so it's NOT easy (at least not when I have the pen in my hand and am judging because I'm VERY fussy about correct positions and how each station is done)

I'm heading back to Tassie (who are the benchmark for this sport and doing so much more than ALL states combined at this point in regards to holding matches, training instructors and judges and getting the word out about this sport) We're bumping it up to the next level, working on polishing Advanced and Excellent stations, continuing to train those interested in judging and stewarding and of course helping out the teams to be sure they are doing the stations correctly, which has been a problem in some areas where the interpretation of the station has created training issues.

I"m hopeful to get back to Perth again (they were a fantastic crowd!) and work on training more judges and perhaps bringing this Advanced/Excellent class to them as well. I know they are doing a lot to educate as many as they can on this sport, promoting it as what it is....a challenging alternative and companion to traditional obedience.

King Valley Kennel Club is holding the seminar in early February (North East Victoria) and we're hoping to see folks come out for two full and fun days of learning! For anyone interested in gathering a group (we've had as few as 10 and as many as 50), we can work on arranging to hold a seminar and get people going in this sport! We can not sit back and assume everyone else is going to do the hard work for when this sport is ANKC recognized. There are many that are working hard on the paperwork and all the 'business' parts of this, but unless the teams are trained, the judges are prepared for what they are getting into, and the stewards understand their jobs, we won't see this TRULY get off the ground and be the success it has been in North America.

Rally is a tried and true trial number increaser.....we know that those that do Rally, work in traditional obedience as well and many that feel they can't attain a CD, work harder after some success with Rally and attain this. We know that the numbers begin to rise again in traditional obedience trials BECAUSE of the influences of Rally and the positive aspects it offers for struggling trialers. We have seen obedience clubs on the brink of failure because of low entry and lack of interest, blossum when Rally is introduced to their club. We have seen people that have never participated in Obedience (flyballers, agility folks) come over and trial in Rally. We have seen die hard Traditional Obedience instructors with 30+ years under their belts, embrace this sport and participate with enthusiasm!

But what is most important is turning around the attitude of those that claim "it's just for fun", "it might be good for training only", "It's not really obedience", "I don't see any advantage to doing it", and know that these people know NOTHING about the sport.....until they are shown that it "IS fun", "it IS good for training but not JUST training", "It is called Rally O and O stands for OBEDIENCE" and the advantages of those that participate are amazing!

Have a go at Rally-O!

On the 10th of December at the Doberman Club Trial there will be a novice Rally-O ring running alongside the traditional obedience rings. The ring will be judged by Vicki Nemeth who will be assisted by Andrea Gilbert.

The ring will be open at 7.00pm coinciding with the start of the trial and will keep going as long as people are keen to try!

There is a $2.00 fee per course run though and all funds raised go towards the Rally-O Working Party for the future development of the sport.

Everyone from total beginners to Obedience Champions can come down to have a go! Also to those competing could be a great warm up exercise for you dogs :(.

The Rally-O working party is aiming to have a Rally ring running alongside traditional obedience rings at all metro trials next year. :)