Just A Vent

Danielle

To make a long story short, my hubby and I were out walking our 5 mo Std Poo and our 3 yo toy bitch yesterday. Toy Bitch got stung on paw by a green ant so we stopped in at a pet store to find some doggy stingos. (Dont usually go to pet stores but couldnt find a chemist that was open and pupper was hurting.)

So anyways in we go and instantly we have the female worker come up to us and state "Gee, thats a great size for a Std Poodle" :thumbsup: I politely informed her that he is only 5 months old and that no, it is not a good size for a std poo.

Then she proceeds to tell me that they are getting in some lovely little chocolate poodles and that she will 'hold' one if i am interested. No thanks. :laugh:

It frustrates me that totally clueless people such as this are allowed to work in the industry and sell dogs, dog products etc to people and give out advice etc which is totally incorrect. You would think that they would at least have a bit of training or something.

Now I remember why i dont go into pet stores. :thumbsup:

Noooo.

Most shops don't train the workers to know all about the products/business.

Gosh, I was asking a girl in a fruit/vegie shop for Fuji apples and she had no idea what I wanted.

I guess some workers catch on and learn bits as they go but I don't know many where you can actually ask at the counter for advice. So many times you ask for a product and the people walk down and start reading the 'instructions' etc on the package and say ""I think this might help""

Working in a shop isn't a trade. You don't need any certs or anything all you need is to turn up.

You would actually be amazed at how many jobs are the same.

As long as you turn up you learn as you go.

You don't need any certs or anything all you need is to turn up.

funny then they offer 'retail traineeships' AKA you work for slave money ... did I say that out loud

yup education is not valued anymore, neither is customer service. I make it a mission to punish stupidity when I'm out and about ... makes some people get a clue

I have just started in the pet trade, and there is no training. It's up to you to do the research. There are always new products and the only way to learn is read the packaging. Having said that after reading here over the last year I am too afraid to sell anything most of the time.

There should be training as there are so many products and for so many other companion pets.

I usually spend my time ecouraging people to research or rescue if they are after a pup or dog. Desexing their cats or talking them out of buying rabbits.

I am probably not a very good sales person, but I wont tell anyone :thumbsup: .

P.S we don't sell cats and dogs.

funny then they offer 'retail traineeships' AKA you work for slave money ... did I say that out loud

yup education is not valued anymore, neither is customer service. I make it a mission to punish stupidity when I'm out and about ... makes some people get a clue

Bit OT here but same point.

When I was thinking of getting my Taxi drivers licence in NSW I began studying for all the tests. (I needed a 2nd job and thought it would fit my hours)

LOW and BEHOLD if there was NO tests, training, nothing!!!

The owner of the Taxi gave me the form to fill in to apply and all I had to do was send a passport photo (to go on the licence)

He drove me around for about 2 weeks showing me the computer and streets, then my licence arrived and off I went driving people around.

I had always thought there would be a driving test, knowledge test and a whole heap of unexpected tests..NOPE!

Same as working road construction and traffic control.

As long as you have the OH&S card you can work any construction and if you get the blue Traffic Controllers card you can direct traffic.

No training provided to actually get them, just a test which you are allowed to talk in a group to get the answers. AND the guy explains the questions and answers during the day course.

If you don't need any training to drive people around in heavy traffic or to stand on a highway and direct traffic,,,why would they make you get training to work in a shop???

Not always so good.

When the super flash garden centre I used to go in started selling pets they were very good & sounded so expert.

Listening to a salesgirl selling a cross breed it sounded very convincing to those who don't know much about dogs.

Like so

As your puppy is crossed with a Labrador they are prone to hip dyspasia it is important that they have a premium diet & don't gain too much weight. We feed & recommend Hills etc etc.

The buyers left delighted with an untested cross breed from goodness knows where + a giant bag of Hills, collar & lead & parted with around $1,000.

I know the dog will have good food but it is misleading & makes the public buy these dogs.

They have it down to a fine art.

Con job really.

shmurps the best place to start is to go around and read all the backs of packets/bottles. Sounds a bit silly BUT you will get to know the products, their uses, what NOT to use them for etc it's the easiest way to start.

Then progress to company websites etc

Then come to DOL for further clarification and instruction :thumbsup:

I have just started in the pet trade, and there is no training. It's up to you to do the research. There are always new products and the only way to learn is read the packaging. Having said that after reading here over the last year I am too afraid to sell anything most of the time.

There should be training as there are so many products and for so many other companion pets.

I usually spend my time ecouraging people to research or rescue if they are after a pup or dog. Desexing their cats or talking them out of buying rabbits.

I am probably not a very good sales person, but I wont tell anyone :rofl: .

I'm sorry but no training can hardly make for your own confidence, let alone the customers!

We train our staff and it is ongoing. We expect them to do their own research and reading as well, and keep learning. The result is that our staff have a good comfort level when dealing with a cross section of consumers - and, the consumer gets good information. And, if one of us isn't as knowledgeable about one area (for me that is around birds), then there is always someone who has more experience to call on.

At the minimum, maybe your employer should consider letting some of the suppliers do some staff training. Most of the petfood companies will, along with the pharmacutical companies.

Sags

shmurps the best place to start is to go around and read all the backs of packets/bottles. Sounds a bit silly BUT you will get to know the products, their uses, what NOT to use them for etc it's the easiest way to start.

Then progress to company websites etc

Then come to DOL for further clarification and instruction :rofl:

Already on to that. At least we have the back up of the vet clinic. Never will recommend anything unsure about and our managers are pretty switched on.

We are all pretty much on the same page and eager to learn. We are always comparing notes on any research that we have done on product lines.

AS far as dog food goes, I have my favourites. I don't up sale just give them the facts, wether it be prem or not, dry or raw, the choice is theirs.

Like I said before there should be some form of training and there is sooo much to learn. From dogs and cats, to smallies, birds and fish.

I am probably not a very good sales person, but I wont tell anyone :rofl: .

I'm sorry but no training can hardly make for your own confidence, let alone the customers!

We train our staff and it is ongoing. We expect them to do their own research and reading as well, and keep learning. The result is that our staff have a good comfort level when dealing with a cross section of consumers - and, the consumer gets good information. And, if one of us isn't as knowledgeable about one area (for me that is around birds), then there is always someone who has more experience to call on.

At the minimum, maybe your employer should consider letting some of the suppliers do some staff training. Most of the petfood companies will, along with the pharmacutical companies.

Sags

Yes, we did 6 hours with dog food companies and some with a reptile company, even though we don't sell reptiles we sell some products. Honestly, I thought they were more concerned that we sold their products over others.

And yes some of the staff are more knowledgeable in different areas.

Oh no, my confidence is fine. I find sometimes there are products that are not really necessary, so I talk them out of it.

Good for you - it just sounded as though you were feeling all at sea when you said you were too afraid to sell most of the time. Maybe you meant something else?

It is up to store management to ensure that any talks given by companies are not just a "sell my product" thing. We encourage lots of questions, lots of two way communication and a healthy dose of common sense. :rofl:

Sags

Shmurps are you in Melbourne .. I think I know where you work :rofl:

Outer.

I have never been a fan of petstores and have always gone to grainstores.

But when this one came up and I was looking for a career change I liked it.

I like the fact we have quarantine and isolation rooms and the use of the vet clinic.

Since being in the industry, I must have been living in another world, you would not believe the stories I have heard.

I don't know how some stores work without the back up of a vet if the stores are selling animals.

It is just frustrating thats all. How is it that a customer can know more than the sales staff, it just doesnt seem right.

Was at another pet store a few months back (once again was an emergency type visit, had no option) and they were selling std poo pups in there. I noticed that their hind feet were shaved all the way up past the hock. When the sales girl started trying to tell me about the pups I enquired why half their legs were shaved off and she told me that it is the 'correct' and 'traditional' way of grooming a std poodle. :rolleyes:

In all my years of grooming I have never seen this. Glad she enlightened me to the fact that I have no idea how to do my job. :thumbsup:

I seriously hate these bloody places, you cant even avoid them at shopping centres. Pets Purgatory shove their poor little pups in the front windows so you still cant avoid the sad little stares. Its horrid. I tend to either get my pet products from the vet, produce stores or online if I can. Saves the displeasure of dealing with idiots.