Going For A Walk Vs Exercising In A Yard

Baby Dragon

I was asked this question by a friend the other day, and to be honest when I thought about it, I didn't really know!

I know dogs need off leash running time because walking isn't real exercise for them. But why do dogs need to be walked? Is it to give them a change of scenery or to develop the bond or is there another reason?

Ok- dogs are made for walking/sniffing. That's how they find out about their world :thumbsup:

A dog left in a backyard will only 'self' exercise when it runs around- usually barking :thumbsup:..or digging/chewing, etc.

Dogs in confined spaces become institutionalised...they have no idea of how to interact with the smells/sounds/sights of the real world:(

Dogs not walked/exposed to different areas are starved of stimulation...the smells in a yard are very soon totally boring...there is no excitement of a new dog's scent- people's footprints/cats/shops...... :laugh:

Ok- dogs are made for walking/sniffing. That's how they find out about their world :thumbsup:

A dog left in a backyard will only 'self' exercise when it runs around- usually barking :thumbsup: ..or digging/chewing, etc.

Dogs in confined spaces become institutionalised...they have no idea of how to interact with the smells/sounds/sights of the real world:(

Dogs not walked/exposed to different areas are starved of stimulation...the smells in a yard are very soon totally boring...there is no excitement of a new dog's scent- people's footprints/cats/shops...... :laugh:

I agree.

Birds fly, fish swim, dogs walk.

A dog left in a backyard will only 'self' exercise when it runs around- usually barking :thumbsup:..or digging/chewing, etc.

I think a lot of them land up going mad :-(

Stay locked in your house for the next 6 to 12 months with no computer, no phone and no visitors. Eat the same meal (basically) each day and do some weights.

See how you feel at the end...

You only have to see how excited dogs get when they realise it is walk time to know how much it means to them.

All the wonderful smells and noises, people and animals. So much to see, hear, smell. It's like they have a little holiday each day.

I think the actual situation of the yard has to come into it as well. If you are talking the average suburban yard with 6ft fences on 3 sides and the house on the other then getting out regularly is essential. My guys haven't had a lead on since their last show a couple of months ago, no way will I take them walking in the heat and it's still hot overnight. I have 2 house blocks and the spare one has mesh wire on the front. They run there morning and evening while I watch them, scared of snakes, I am :thumbsup: , with a view of the goings on in the street, people, bit of traffic, loose dogs (grrr), etc. They survive quite well with this. Cooler weather we go for long walks through the bush about once a week.

According to Cesar Millan it is a primal need that can't be fulfilled through just running around a backyard. Wild dogs travel daily, following a pack leader. It is a good time to establish your leadership, to exercise the dog and burn off excess energy and frustration, and just have fun together!! :thumbsup:

One thing I will add is that the idea that dogs are "self exercising" in a back yard is a myth.. .. unless you include the barking, clothesline hanging, fence running and digging behaviours most owners seek to avoid.

Edited by poodlefan

because then they miss out on shopping at the marking, sharing a cooked breakfast at the uptown eatery, helping you fish at night time and playing flabba jabba with their jowls while their heads are out the car windows

dogs are not lawn ornament. They're pack animals who want to share and experience the world with you.

Oh Nekhbet, that sounds like a lot of fun but it's a bit hard when you live next door to the 'never-never'. I have to take youngsters at least 40ks for them to see more than two people at a time and that's only on livestock market day. :thumbsup:

I grew up right in middle of Melb. 'burbs and wouldn't swap my 'way out back of beyond' for anything lol. When I go to Mildura shopping I drive past all those rows of streets with neighbours all around and wonder how they do it, yet I have friends who shudder at the lack of theatres, shopping malls, etc when they visit lol.

My guys go everywhere with me, a bit restrictive sometimes, 'specially this weather.

my dally loves his daily rabbit hunt :rofl:

he spends ages ,head down tail wagging on the scent, just pop's his head up to check where me and ozzie are, then carry's on.

doesn't catch many these days as he is older, but boy does he enjoy the search :rofl:

they also get to swim in the lake everyday, meet other dogs, chat to neighbours on the way back, we can be out for hours by the time we've greeted everyone :)

Yeah I think its totally for the migration experience and seeing new things and whats going on. I think its totally cruel to not take a dog outside its home at all! Shyla gets way more exercise in her yard with fetch (she gets sooo pooped chasing her frisbee non stop) but going on walks is more mentally stimulating and a different sort of exercise