If One More Person Asks Me...... Grrrr

pixie_meg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a very beautiful female borzoi who was a nice clear white. I also have a few Maremma here and over the years the stand out questions have been odd to say the least.

One old bloke stopped me mowing to ask what the white dog was? (they are all white <g>)

So I asked just which particular dog he was looking at and the answer was, 'I know what the Afghan is'. At this point I spun around to find out IF I did have an Afghan? Nup Just Rell.

There was a food delivery bloke one night who hauled me over the coals for clipping the Afghan. Didn't seem to matter what I said he was 'certain' Rell was an Afghan.

Then there was the 'nice lady' up the street who got annoyed that I would not allow her to use my nice male Golden Retriever at stud. Not only have I NEVER owned a Golden but the dog (maremma) she was wanting to use was desexed and she would not believe that either....................

Cheers

Linda

sorry to go slightly off topic but 3 dogs I wouldnt know the breed of if they were standing in front of me are the Lurcher (isnt this a dog from the UK that is rare is Australia?), Huntaway (hunting dog :rofl: ) and Bergamasco Sheepdog :rofl:

sorry to go slightly off topic but 3 dogs I wouldnt know the breed of if they were standing in front of me are the Lurcher (isnt this a dog from the UK that is rare is Australia?), Huntaway (hunting dog :rofl: ) and Bergamasco Sheepdog :rofl:

Lurcher.. usually Whippet/BC mixes. Yep, pretty much confined to the UK.

Huntaway. NZ Herding breed.

Bergamasco.. that's a corded breed I think.

Beagles are pretty common and most people easily identify them, but not Daisy - I get asked what she is all the time, even though tan and whites are pretty common in the breed. Recently I was at the park and there was another (tri coloured) beagle nearby and a person pointed it out and said - "Now I know that one's a beagle, but I don't know what that is (points to Daisy)". Poor Daisy, she always gets asked if she's a crossbreed :rofl:

but how many beagles dont have colour over both of their eyes? isnt that what gets them?

So Lurchers are just mutts?

Are the other 2 recognised breeds in their countries?

I don't get insulted or upset when people misindentify my dog's breeds, but I do find it annoying when people talk about their breed (or what they think their breed is) with total arrogance and ignorance.

For example - the douche bag at the hydrobath who told me, in front of a huge line of people, that huskies were "the most common breed that kills and attacks children" and when I asked if he'd seen the stats for dog bites/attacks, because he was incorrect, he went on a massive tirade that my dog was savage and it wasn't his fault but just how he was because of his breed :rofl:

Poor Micha was doing nothing but standing politely next to me, he is the sweetest dog with the best temperament.

Generally when people get my breed wrong I have a bit of a giggle and happily tell them all about the breed :rofl:

Edited by huski

Beagles are pretty common and most people easily identify them, but not Daisy - I get asked what she is all the time, even though tan and whites are pretty common in the breed. Recently I was at the park and there was another (tri coloured) beagle nearby and a person pointed it out and said - "Now I know that one's a beagle, but I don't know what that is (points to Daisy)". Poor Daisy, she always gets asked if she's a crossbreed :rofl:

but how many beagles dont have colour over both of their eyes? isnt that what gets them?

What gets them is that she's tan and white instead of tri colour. Clown faces aren't that unusual, I think if she was a tri with a clown face people would still recognise her for a beagle more easily.

Most people think the colour is really pretty and unusual, so it's not a bad thing, just funny that people don't know what she is even when she's standing next to a tri and they look the same :rofl:

Edited by huski

Had two lurchers stay at our kennels, they'd come from the UK with their owners and were "proper lurchers" whatever that means. Honestly if I'd met them on the street I would have wondered if they were Sibe x Greyhound x GSD so not sure how "proper" they were :rofl:

Huntaway - anything B&T and slightly longish haired in NZ gets labelled Huntaway - probably the same dogs in Australia would get labelled Rottweiler cross.

So Lurchers are just mutts?

Are the other 2 recognised breeds in their countries?

Huntaways can be registered with the working sheepdog associations so could be considered a pure breed. Bergamascos are FCI I believe?

Stranger: Nice Weimaraner / Ridgeback...

Me: Ah, yeah, actually he's a Hungarian Vizsla....

Stranger: Oh, crossed with a Wei / Ridgeback?

Me: Yeah, a cross for sure :rofl:

Sometimes I try to 'educate' the wider public, most times I don't bother...

i comiserate with you.. i get ppl telling me that i have golden retrievers...

i say: no sorry they are maremma sheppdogs

OP then says oh well they must be related to golden retrievers sigh

H

link to bergamasco in australia very very tempting:

http://www.mungadelbergamascos.com/puppies.htm?reloaded=true

Edited by dogbesotted

We're often asked what kind of cross breed Pepper is, and people seem to glaze over when you tell them she's a German Shorthaired Pointer.

A few people identify her correctly, but they have family or friends with a GSP. At obedience school, there's one instructor who gets it right (he's lovely), but all the others call her "the Pointer".

Pepper's not offended either way, as long as she gets a pat :rofl:

lol, most people see my girl and comment on "the big poodle", and many many people say "Is she really actually poodle? I didn't know poodles got that big!" but the clincher was one guy who insisted that you DON'T get poodles that big, you only get little poodles, so she's not a poodle. Umm, k? Actually I think he went off mumbling something about a labradoodle, though I have no idea where he thinks the size of labradoodles comes from if all poodles are little! lol!

I have studied breeds far too much so there's not been many I haven't guessed, and I love going to shows and seeing all the breeds!! I have to know all the NZ breed standards for my grooming exams too, so that helps. lol!

Huntaways aren't recognised by NZKC as a breed, they're a working dog not a 'purebreed' and therefore their type (body structure) and coats vary a lot!!! They generally look like a GSD x or something... click here to see pics

Mita, that's a tibbie?? Tibetan spaniel. Love those lil critters. :rofl:

Oberon IS one gorgeous borzoi :rofl:

I often get similar comments when out and about with the Saluki and Pharaoh Hound.....talk about having 2 less than common breeds in suburbia! brought it upon myself I guess LOL.

Most comments or whispers from people passing by include "look at that/those skinny dog(s)...they should feed them more!"...or "look at those ugly skinny things!" :) plus "oh what a big whippet you have there (referring to the Saluki)!", and "what are THEY crossed with?"

I often use it as an educational opportunity though, and explain what breeds they are plus where they originated from and why they are built so svelte and super model like :rofl:

I was delighted though when I heard someone say to another, "look, there's that gorgeous Pharaoh Hound from around the corner!" :p made my day.

I don't know what mix of breeds Tilly is, but I don't mind hearing people try and guess. The pound and our vet thought she is a Kelpie X Coolie.

One time I had someone guess Husky and another person guessed Staffy :rofl:

Quite often I get people thinking she is crossed with a border collie or cattle dog. Who knows!

3533247360_6cfe233817.jpg