Dogs And Babies

Kismet

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on the best way to introduce my dog Chupa (4 yo Amstaff cross), to my sister's 9 month old baby, when she comes to visit in January.

I wouldn't have had ANY concerns about this previously, since Chupa has always been good with children (although more the 5 year old plus group). BUT since i've moved back to Sydney with her, she's had a couple of encounters with a 2 year old, who was visiting my family. Now I wasn't there for the first couple of encounters, but apparently she initially wanted to meet the 2 year old, but his overprotective parent freaked out, and scared Chupa away.

Anyway, ever since she's been quite scared (understandably) to go anywhere near this 2 year old, since if she does (even by accident), the parent panics and pulls their child away.

So, today at christmas lunch I saw this happen for the first time myself (since I usually try and not be around when these particular relatives visit). I was furious, because it seems like these relatives are not only teaching their child to be afraid of dogs, but they're teaching my dog to be afraid of babies! Chupa was clearly anxious, and wouldn't leave my side the whole time they were here.

Now i'm worried that when she meets my nephew in January (who I adore, and want to have around as much as possible), she's going to transfer this fear across. So i'm wondering how the best way to introduce them should be.

Should we just bring the baby in and not make a big deal about introductions until she's used to seeing him in the house? Kinda act like it's a non-event?

When they meet should I not be the one carrying the baby in case she becomes jealous? or should I carry the baby so that she sees that i'm ok with him, so he must be ok?

I really want this to go well! Help please!!!

Kismet

I'm no expert but I would like to share with you, what a trainer showed me on Thursday... It is to teach my staffy not to jump up, it shows her that although kids are there, they are not there for her to jump on.

I am to have her on leash, with enough so she can sit, so the lead should go from her collar (in a sitting position) to the floor with no slack, and I should stand on it, so she cannot jump...

My staffy loves kids so much that she thinks they are there for her to play with, like they are her brothers and sisters... She is just so full on that she frightens almost every child she meets, or ones that are her size...

With my dog, once she hears a baby cry/noise she is beside herself, she just can't wait to greet this human baby... she gets so anxious that all she does is bark bark bark. I hate it when she does it as I take it as some sort of aggression but I have been told that it is how my dog reacts to frustration.

I have never discouraged her from interacting with kids, but I have restricted her freedom with them as I feel it is the only safe way to go.

If you feel that oyur dog is going to be too anxious to handle the baby situation, maybe have her crated or in a pen, or something similar when the baby visits..

Hope this has helped somewhat,

Merry Christmas,

Kylie

Thanks Kylie,

It's funny actually, i've never had a problem with Chupa jumping up on children. EVERYONE else - yes! But from the first time she met children, she seemed to know that she had to play gently.

A family with two young children used to mind her when I went on holidays, and I was so surprised when the mother of this family told me that her 5 year old holds chupa's lead when they go out on walks. At that stage it used to take every ounce of my strength to keep her from pulling me down, but she seemed to know that she couldn't do that with a 5 year old.

Yeah, keeping her separate from the baby won't be a problem, I just hope I don't have to - she's always been so good with children, and I think babies would have been a similar story if it weren't for my idiot relatives!

What you said about keeping the dog in a sit with no slack on the lead was interesting, but i'm wondering if in this situation it might make things worse. If she's already a bit anxious, would keeping her on a tight lead heighten that anxiety?

Maybe she won't even relate this new baby to the other one? Truth be told I think it's more the parent she was afraid of.

Thanks again, and Merry xmas too!

Nicky

edited cos I left out a word

Edited by Kismet

I've heard that children should always be supervised with dogs, and that children should be trained in how to treat dogs properly. I would like to know how do you train a 9 month old baby to treat dogs properly.

By supervising and help the child pat the dog. Show the child how to pat with a flat hand, after that you hold the wrist while you help your child patting the dog. and say things like; that is good patting, nice flat hand, what is the doggy soft (curly, or whatever the dog feels like).

Tell the child not to scream if a dog is near just by saying no the dog does not like it if you scream it will hurt it's ears.

Will take a lot of repetition but child will learn....

Then id say your sister wasnt quick enough to react so thank god it was a teddy.

A 9 month old is reliant on the parents teaching,reactions & observations to learning no different than learning not to touch hot things etc,its called safety in all aspects.

Children & dogs should be supervised just like swimming pools,stoves & the road.

As to chupa let the dog smell something that the child has touched worn,alot of praise without hyping & do everything in very small doses

Edited by showdog

Exactly what Gemibabe said is the way to go. We used this method today to introduce our sons new beautiful rescue ?? amstaff?? dog to a baby aged 12 months.

All went well so I let Jess off lead, we were all there supervising, no problems, bit of a sniff, started to lick I distracted the dog, that was it, she lost interest. The baby is not worried about dogs though she is used to a few around the place.

Jess was crated on and off all day for other reasons we had no problems, she seems to like children as later a 4 yr old arrived and we did the same, so did she sniff and a lick (or tried to) we kept on lead for introductions, short but not tight. Do not allow the dog to jump.

What you said about keeping the dog in a sit with no slack on the lead was interesting, but i'm wondering if in this situation it might make things worse. If she's already a bit anxious, would keeping her on a tight lead heighten that anxiety?

Hi Nicky,

The dog doesn't realise it is on a tightened lead(well in theory LOL). When the dog goes to jump it can't work out why because it is grounded, ONLY when the dog has stopped fidgeting, should you allow her/him to be patted. This teaches the dog to stay in a sit to get pats.. praise.. And you say to the child (if old enough) "have you asked to pat the dog?" This also teaches the child that they should not pat a dog without asking first..

It's really strange, because I have had 3 dogs previously, all were really well with behaviour and great with kids... I now have a son, get a dog and I have a dog that is terrible around kids.. The trainer I met said she was a good dog, just needs to learn a little self control...

She has spent too much time with my son, learning all his bad habits...

LOL

good luck with it all, I'm sure it will be fine,

Kylie

Thanks Rusky and Kylie,

I will try the leash thing then. Chupa isn't allowed in the carpeted areas of this house (as it's my parents), so she sits in the open doorway, but never comes into the lounge room. I might let her get accustomed to seeing the baby in the lounge for a bit before bringing him over to her.

Thanks again,

Nicky

Edited by Kismet

Hi

With things that are new to ther dogs and I don't want the dog to react badly I make the dogs impression with that thing LOTS of fun. In this case you could ask your sister to throw HIGH POWERED treats around on the floor the moment she walks in the door. This actually is also helpful with teaching a dog not to jump on kids as if this is done consistently and the treats are thrown behind the dog so he has to turn around and get them, when the dog sees a kid they automaticlly stand back waiting for the treat to be thrown (like a dog wanting it's owner to throw the ball) It worked for my son with my 4 labs and gsd, there is no way he could have got out the door by himself without us teaching that, the dogs would be too busy smothering him with licks :champagne:

cheers

Mary-Jane Rush

At training they suggested to me to have a doll in a nappy and an outfit smelling of baby. Teach the dog how to behave around the doll, "gentle" etc..... Although this was suggested during pregnancy, so not sure if it would simply confuse the dog when the real thing (child) is already around?

I made the mistake of leaving the doll on the coffee table, Victoria pinched it, took it out to the yard and destroyed it :thumbsup:

Please note: I do not leave my baby unsupervised on the coffee table :champagne:

I made the mistake of leaving the doll on the coffee table, Victoria pinched it, took it out to the yard and destroyed it 

Please note: I do not leave my baby unsupervised on the coffee table 

Haha Dru, that's hillarious :)

Actually the baby isn't here till Late Jan, so I could in theory try the doll thing, except that I don't know any babies, so getting baby smelling cloths could be difficult.

Thanks Mary-Jane, i'll definately try that with the treats :)

Kismet - I'm no expert either, but I've noticed my dogs tend to follow my lead - if i'm anxious, they will be also. First point is for you to relax.

Perhaps keep some distance between dog and baby at first - a distance YOU can relax with - and just let the two get used to the presence in a relaxed way.

Our dogs have always been trained to sit for pats from anyone, and this we found pretty easy to tranfer to children. We have to spend more time training the children not to pat unless dog is sitting :) Yes, ours also have a sixth "sense" when it comes to children - even some horses have this.

The dog is taking the lead from the "paniky" mother (sensing her fear) but will, hopefully, take a different lead from you.

cheers

Hi Kismet,

Having met Chuppa, I dont think she would be any trouble. She is such a lovely natured dog that would not know how to hurt a fly.

If you want, you could always bring her out here and get her trained with Jackson.... my 2yo son has met pretty much most of the dogs that we rescue and always supervised of course.. he is not scared of dogs at all and maybe Chupa will just be able to learn how to act with a child/toddler.

He has great respect for the dogs which is a very important thing for the child to learn....

Here are some photos we took just the other day...

Scrumpy has only been with us for a few weeks and is very gentle with her.... they LOVE each other sooo much..

post-9-1104562310.jpg

and with Murphy... who a lot of people are actually scared of....

Jackson respected that Murphy was on the couch first so instead of pushing him away..... he decided to let him sleep and just slide in on the couch to share it with him.

From day one, we have had dogs in the house - but we introduced our son to the dogs very slowly and as a few people already suggested... letting them smell something of the baby would be good (thats when she gets here of course) and hearing her/him.

Anyway, the offer of using Jackson as a baby/dog trainer... is always open. :(

post-9-1104562545.jpg

Ummmmmmmmmmmm let me add that Scrumpy now walks out and sit in front of Jackson with tongue hanging out and the next thing Jackson's is and the next thing it's love :cry: SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Cute :eek:

and with Murphy... who a lot of people are actually scared of....

MURPHY'S A PUSSYYYYY, MURPHY'S A PUSSYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :(

Love

Riles

Edited to add a serious PS: Jackson is just so amazing with the dogs, thanx to Mina and Anthony's dedication of introduction and also teaching Jackson to respect our furry babies, most pooches in dear sweet little Jackson's hands just turn to moosh!!!! oh and Aunty Rileys are pretty much putty in this two year olds hand's also :(

Edited by Riley

Thanks Mina and Anthony,

That would be great if I could get Chupa to meet Jackson.

I'm sure you're right, she's just so gentle that the thought of her hurting anyone seems completely ludicrous.

It's more that I don't want her to be afraid - because she definately is of this other baby now.

See you soon,

Nicky

P.S: those photos are absolutely adorable!!!