Mckay Queensland

Steve

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/story/2010/...dogs-off-leash/

<h2 class="storyHeadline">Dog attacks lead to leash call </h2> Cait Bester | 11th January 2010

THEY can look cute, innocent and well-mannered but give them an inch and they will run a mile. Especially at Blacks Beach where it seems every dog – and his owner – loves to go for a walk most afternoons and weekends.

Heather Atkinson and her dogs, Gus and Yody, are among the many that enjoy an afternoon stroll along Blacks Beach.

However, Ms Atkinson has a simple message for dog owners – please keep your dog on a lead.

Ms Atkinson, who has been walking along the beach for more than 15 years, said in the past two months her border collie, Gus, had been attacked by dogs that hadn’t been restrained by their owners.

“We are very lucky that we have been able to get the dogs off him each time before he has been seriously injured,” she said.

“Why do people think its okay to have their dogs off their leads and let them wander all over the beach?

“If it’s a really busy afternoon there can be anywhere from 30 to 40 people walking along the beach.

“No matter how well-trained you may think your dog is you just never know what they will do. They are dogs and are unpredictable.

“It is a very frightening experience and I don’t think I should have to stop doing something that I enjoy because owners are irresponsible and cannot put their dogs on a lead.

“We go on the RSPCA Paws walk and you have to have your dogs on a lead, so what is the difference when going for a walk along the beach? I am sure people have to have their dogs on a lead when walking about The Gooseponds.

“Please, if you are walking your dog along the beach, keep it on a lead for the safety of your dog, my dog and the children that also use the beach.

“I just want to be able to walk along the beach with my dogs and know I won’t get attacked.”

Ms Atkinson said there were no signs at Blacks Beach warning people dogs weren’t allowed on the beach, nor were there signs to say dogs must be on a lead.

Ms Atkinson said there were no signs at Blacks Beach warning people dogs weren’t allowed on the beach, nor were there signs to say dogs must be on a lead.

Need to have signs and ad hoc patrols by rangers.

Patrols definitely, but I find it amusing that people always expect signs.

The law is that dogs must be under effective control in a public place. That means when you leave private property and go out in public your dog should be leashed. Simple.

We don't just pop our seat belt off because the road we are driving on does not have a sign on it saying 'wear your seatbelt'.

Need to have signs and ad hoc patrols by rangers.

Patrols definitely, but I find it amusing that people always expect signs.

The law is that dogs must be under effective control in a public place. That means when you leave private property and go out in public your dog should be leashed. Simple.

We don't just pop our seat belt off because the road we are driving on does not have a sign on it saying 'wear your seatbelt'.

Needs to be stated. Despite rules "all dogs on leads in public places" lots of dogs are off their leads anywhere and everywhere.