Just Came Home From The Dog Kennel Disappointed

Pete.the.dog

So I went on holidays for 5 nights, flew out early tuesday and got home early sunday. Dropped Pete at a kennel I had read good things about on here and overall was quite disappointed.

Whilst on holidays I called them to see that all was well (probably a bit over the top but its the first time I've left him in a kennel and was worried he would feel like he was back in the pound) the lady who answered, after I said I was wondering how Pete was going said "Um, Pete? Um. I'm not sure. I'll go ask X ..." which is fine I don't expect everyone to know about all the dogs, but then I got X on the phone who said "Yeah he's going fine." Fair enough but not exactly reassuring.

First look at the invoice and they had charged pete as an extra large dog, which I mentioned and they changed (would have ended up being an extra $18 if I hadn't have said anything)

Pete was at the kennel from 4.30pm monday until 3pm sunday and I got charged for 7 days. I did not feel there sunday pickup policy was clearly explained to indicate that if I picked up on a sunday I would get charged the same as if I picked up before 10am on the monday. Doesn't seem logical or fair.

The people didn't say a single thing which indicated they had spent any time with my dog. Nothing about whether he was barking, if he ate all the food they were giving etc (I gave them his normal food incase he was fussy, doesn't seem like they fed him that)

I just sort of expected they would say SOMETHING about him - they are supposed to love dogs right? :hug:

So then I get home, and realise they didn't even brush him! His legs and face fur was all knotted. Oh and he feels like he's lost about 3 kilos (which he can't afford)

And for this I paid $175 :(

Are my expectations too high or did I just get a bad place?

Edited by Pete.the.dog

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 days is fair, I used to work at a boarding kennel and that was there policy too, if you picked up between 10am-10.30am you were not charged for that day, any time after you were charged for that day.

$175 for 7 days, hmmmmmmmmmm I would be expecting more for that length of stay

Edited by Pockets

Hmmm, sounds a bit lax to me. I would be inclined to write them a nice letter saying that you were disappointed and cite the reasons. Just be straight forward, unemotional and businesslike.

Good idea, I think I will

if you picked up between 10am-10.30am you were not charged for that day, any time after you were charged for that day.

The thing was that they didn't offer a morning pick up on sunday - if they did I would have been there then, they only let you pick up between 2 and 5

Hmmm, sounds a bit lax to me. I would be inclined to write them a nice letter saying that you were disappointed and cite the reasons. Just be straight forward, unemotional and businesslike.

Good idea, I think I will

if you picked up between 10am-10.30am you were not charged for that day, any time after you were charged for that day.

The thing was that they didn't offer a morning pick up on sunday - if they did I would have been there then, they only let you pick up between 2 and 5

well i think they can't charge you for that then. what does their sunday policy say?

So I went on holidays for 5 nights, flew out early tuesday and got home early sunday. Dropped Pete at a kennel I had read good things about on here and overall was quite disappointed.

Whilst on holidays I called them to see that all was well (probably a bit over the top but its the first time I've left him in a kennel and was worried he would feel like he was back in the pound) the lady who answered, after I said I was wondering how Pete was going said "Um, Pete? Um. I'm not sure. I'll go ask X ..." which is fine I don't expect everyone to know about all the dogs, but then I got X on the phone who said "Yeah he's going fine." Fair enough but not exactly reassuring.

First look at the invoice and they had charged pete as an extra large dog, which I mentioned and they changed (would have ended up being an extra $18 if I hadn't have said anything)

Pete was at the kennel from 4.30pm monday until 3pm sunday and I got charged for 7 days. I did not feel there sunday pickup policy was clearly explained to indicate that if I picked up on a sunday I would get charged the same as if I picked up before 10am on the monday. Doesn't seem logical or fair.

The people didn't say a single thing which indicated they had spent any time with my dog. Nothing about whether he was barking, if he ate all the food they were giving etc (I gave them his normal food incase he was fussy, doesn't seem like they fed him that)

I just sort of expected they would say SOMETHING about him - they are supposed to love dogs right? :thumbsup:

So then I get home, and realise they didn't even brush him! His legs and face fur was all knotted. Oh and he feels like he's lost about 3 kilos (which he can't afford)

And for this I paid $175 :)

Are my expectations too high or did I just get a bad place?

are you sure about the daily rate? maybe you paid for six days and not seven?

I worked at a basic boarding kennel, I have seen other boarding kennels that are far more luxiourious, a real doggy heaven, obviously they charge more, but I would prefer my dog stay there :thumbsup:

where I worked A stay of 4 paid days or more, depending on coat condition when dog came in would include a free hydrobath prior to going home, we would not bath dogs that were dropping coat or matted, we would offer a grooming session at extra charge

Edited by Pockets

I used to work at a bording kennel and if the dogs are there for seven days they received a free bath, brush, blow dry ect and if they were picked up before 12.00 they were not charged for that day, and because it only housed up to 60 dogs we new most of the dogs if not all of them and we loved it when there owners called, so we could put there mind at rest. It was a good place to work, the dogs and cats are really well looked after. :)

Sorry you didn't have a great experience. :thumbsup:

Me too. My dog lost 2.5 kgs while she was there (she can afford it, but still I could see her ribs) over a 2 week period. I figure that she just doesn't eat as well and probably runs around more there. But the woman kept calling her "he" when she is a large smooth haired dog, so she obviously never looked at her. She had a large (1cm diam) bleeding sore on her foreleg that wasn't there when I dropped her off.

The facilities at our kennel are great, with large outdoor pens for each dog as well as indoor runs for overnight - and the food they provide is excellent, as is the price. So I think I just need to accept that when they have that many dogs to care for, they aren't going to get the individual attention they get at home.

Unless you actually paid for a grooming session I would not expect the dog to have been brushed.

I would because kennels are paid to care for your dog. Part of the care of a long-haired dog is to brush it regularly.

Do make sure you tell people about your displeasure with this establishment to try and prevent anyone else being caught out.

some kennels offer a daily brush at an extra cost, espeically for the breeds that are more prone to matting, you cant expect a long coat dog to be given more attention than a short coated dog for the same price imo, if your dog needs daly brushing or grooming unfortunatly in some establishments you will have to pay extra for it

Most Kennels I've looked at charge a full day regardless of what time the dog is dropped off or picked up. The one I actually chose when I had to board Gypsy was fantastic though, they were a bit pricey for just 3 days but I was very happy with the service and facilities and Gypsy was happy, in good condition, bathed (which I wasn't expecting) and she was so smoochy with the lady running the place. I wouldn't hesitate to take any dog back there if I ever need to use a boarding kennel again.

In our boarding kennels which I have used once we are charged for a full day on the drop off and pick up day. So 7 days would be what I would be charged for.

I would imagine grooming would be an extra cost. Our kennel give a hydrobath before leaving.

Some dogs run around more and don't eat as much when they are boarding, however a bit more of a personalised interaction would have been nice.

I would send them a letter stating your concerns and give them the ability to lift there game.

I use a house sitter.

Generally ALL kennels work like motels - pick up before a certain morning time e.g. 10.00, 11.00, noon, whatever and you don't pay for that day. It's a bit cheeky charging an extra day when morning pick up is not available, however over summer holidays some kennels charge a minimum of a fortnight regardless of how long you want the dog to stay there :). You can't actually collect the dog within that fortnight! Also, daily rates vary enormously from state to state, area to area and aren't always a good indication of the care that your dog will get.

If it's a large kennel you probably won't see the person that actually cares for your dog when you drop off or pick up, so it's not unusual that they didn't appear to have a clue about your boy. There's probably (hopefully, at least) a kennel girl that looked after your guy each day and knows him really well - knows his funny little ways, how he likes his food presented, which hand he has to shake before he's allowed to eat, how he likes his rug laid on his bed etc :rofl: It's one of the drawbacks of a large kennel or a busy time - lack of continuity of care. I felt awful last week when a regular customer came to pick up their Rottie girl and seemed a bit anxious - "was she alright?" - "yes, of course she was, why do you ask?" I said. "Oh, she didn't want to go with the girl that was here when we dropped her off". I was out picking up dog supplies to last us over the coming holiday period and couldn't be there to take the Rottie in. My part time kennel girl who knows the dog well and I have the greatest faith in, was probably just not who the Rottie expected to see at the office!! Anyhow, all ended OK but I felt that I'd let her down by not being there when she arrived :rofl: It's OK though - she's back in for a few days and I greeted her at the car - she was really pleased to see me :o

When people ring to enquire how their dogs are going, it is really reassuring for them if you can say something about the dog's individual ways, because they then know that you are actually communicating with and caring for their dog. Sometimes an issue in a big establishment. I have kennels because I love dogs - I wouldn't be happy just sitting in the office handing out invoices, operating the eftpos machine and working out staff pay and rosters. I like being with the dogs, poo and all :thumbsup:

Sylvia

some kennels offer a daily brush at an extra cost, espeically for the breeds that are more prone to matting, you cant expect a long coat dog to be given more attention than a short coated dog for the same price imo, if your dog needs daily brushing or grooming unfortunatly in some establishments you will have to pay extra for it

Smooth or long should make no difference.

If the dog comes in knot free it should leave in the same condition.

If the dog is in a monster coat & the kennel isnt good at coat work then they should say no.

The problem is most kennels hose whilst the dogs are still in the runs & they get wet & matt easy.

With ours there either in there outside yards or shut in there sleeping area so they dont get wet & the runs are scraped dry.

It seems in the east that kennels are getting very greedy & charging for things that are part of basic animal care.

We run kennels & arent open sunday morning .Most kennels arent.One needs to appreciate we work 7 days as it is 365 days of the year so i think kennels are more than entitled to have one morning session off.

Nearly all the kennels i now dont charge per night ,its daily irrespective of time picked up so you would have been charged for 6 days .Many changed to this method after people trying to pull shonkies & getting argumentative when turning up late

If the dog went in knot free & came out with knots then complain ,we check all coated breeds before they come in & knot on there sheet if the coat is in bad condition & give the owners a choice of what they can have especially if long term.

Weight is easy to loose many dogs run it off quickly but gain good muscle condition but if you feel it lost excessive weight then again ask

This is why I am so grateful that I leave my dog with a lady who only boards the same breed, and looks after her as though she was her own :thumbsup:

Even though it takes me nearly an hour to get there, I would travel further and the price is right :rofl:

She puts up with me ringing every day :) and has now become a good friend.

And if my girl is there 7 days or longer she gets a bath and brush and if you could see the thickness of her coat, you would know this was a labour of love!

Edited by CavsRcute

This is what made the difference in a kennel to me.

Everytime I have picked Charch up from our kennel they have funny stories for me about silly or cute things he did whilst there.

They dont take a lot of dogs on at a time so it always feels more personal.

It is a husband and wife team who are both so lovely. The wife called me before CHristmas and asked me if I could email her some new photos of him to put up on the wall.

They are a bit more expensive than others and I drive an hour out of my way to get there because I dont have to worry ONE bit when im on holidays :)

He doesnt even want to say goodbye and is racing to get inside when we drop him off :thumbsup: