Just Came Home From The Dog Kennel Disappointed

Pete.the.dog

I work at a kennel, and if somebody wants to know how there dog went I can usually give them a lot more info than just "it was fine".. I personally find that a little bit slack, the same with the brushing. My boss would never let us hand back a dirty unbrushed dog :laugh: she is a bit pedantic about that sort of thing... We aren't flashy expensive kennels either, quite the opposite. I think it should be included in part of the care unless your dog is a disgusting matted, filthy mess- which we still try and work with to have it going home looking and feeling a bit better.

I guess it just pays to do your research, or go on recommendations.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A previous experience with a big kennels here in Sydney - I asked on collection how my dog had been. The person 'checking' him out was admin and said, there are no notes on his form/ in the system from the kennel hands so no issues to report.

I was told that if I wanted specific feedback then I note this when I dropped him off and they'd make a note on his sheet about it and the kennel hand would jot things down during the stay and give you the feedback at the end.

I can understand how bigger kennels with multiple staff cannot give individual feedback.

Can't fault my current kennel for letting me know how things are going :cry:

Just goes to show that perhaps smaller kennels offer a much more personalised service that many DOL's would prefer.

Certainly don't think you were charged an excessive amount (many charge from $22-$32 a day and still charge for extra services). From my experience there are many kennels in Victoria that aren't open on Sundays so you end up paying the extra day or even two depending on when you can pick up on the Monday.

Staff costs can be higher on the weekend but the kennel rate remains the same as mid week.

If you have specific things for your dog, such as regular brushing, it is always best to tell them when you drop your dog off. You might have found they would have added an extra fee but your dog would have a lovely hydrobath/dry/groom. Probably well worth the extra $20 or so.

I groom a Cocker Spaniel, he used to have a stripped coat and kept in pretty much show condition, even though a pet only. He went to kennels and I didn't see the dog for several months. Turned out the owner had asked for the dog to be groomed while he was in kennels. The kennels had the dog bedded on wood chips which matted the coat up, so they shaved all the coat off.

Just goes to show how careful you need to be in choosing a kennels and in being precise about what you want them to do with your dog.

I groom a Cocker Spaniel, he used to have a stripped coat and kept in pretty much show condition, even though a pet only. He went to kennels and I didn't see the dog for several months. Turned out the owner had asked for the dog to be groomed while he was in kennels. The kennels had the dog bedded on wood chips which matted the coat up, so they shaved all the coat off.

:banghead: Ouch!!

OHMIGOD!!! I would be beyond devestated if that were my dog. My dogs coats are kept in fairly good condition....regularly brushed, stripped and trimmed. I would be furious if anyone took to them with a pari of clippers.

Hi ashley i Remember Pete I work at hedgegrove. I Did give him his food he sorta grazed on it most days and i also tried him with a bit of our food didn't really eat it at first but in the end he did. He was only fed 1 meal a day any dog can loose weight within a week because of stress and being a bit nervous. I have some dogs up their that can be a bit full on sometimes

Oh well thanks for that kennel hand. I'm a bit confused about your last sentence, are you saying that Pete was full on?

Feel free to respond to my PM's instead of on here, but so long as you are replying this way - may I ask what the brushing protocol at Hedgegrove in? Because when I got Pete back his fur was quite badly knotted in parts, and I think anyone patting him would have noticed?

Note: he had no knotts when I dropped him off

Edited by Pete.the.dog

I used to work at Hedgegrove and can tell you that they don't hose the dogs when cleaning. The dogs are moved either to the grassed runs or to their outdoor section and the door closed. It is a busy place so you may have gotten someone answering the phone who wasn't familiar with the dog, but unless it has changed hands the owners were very conscious of their care of the dogs and how they were sent home.

you have left your dog at a kennel at the most bussiest time of year it is hard for them to remember everytime your dog farted to relay back to you, your dog was treated fine he was given lots of love and extra care then what a normal owner would give thier dog so if the receptionist dose not mention that your dog was the best dog there dont worry about it.

takes a great dog lover to do it, maybe next time if your so worried about your dog dont go on a holiday unless you can take him with you.

yes you did expect to much for the time of year, and another thing different staff work at different time so the dinner staff and the cleaning walking staff notice different things also the kennels are divided into sections on who walks who so that walker can form bonds and relationships with the dogs maybe your walker was not in the office at the time, i have not said good bye to many dogs i walked and i realy missed while gone ut thats ok coz i had fun playing with them for a short time. get off your high horse.

Wow. WTF?

Firstly. How the hell do you know if my dog was treated fine and/or given lots of love?

Secondly. I'm not on a high horse, I was asking opinions.

I don't even know how to respond to you?

I posted earlier the kennel's policy on grooming, their website says all dogs will be hyrdobathed before pick up. I quoted it.

Quote from Beds from tails website

Prior to checkout our guests receive a complimentary hydrotherapy session then "fluff" dryed leaving them look and feel absolutely pampered.

Hi PandaGirl thanks for your reply but sorry I couldn't find that on their webpage?

Don't be put off of boarding kennels from one experience Pete.the.dog - some of us are actually very good :thumbsup:

I don't think that your expectations were too high at all, but a smaller, more personalised kennel may be what your after.

I have just been down to kiss the dogs good night, give those who have bones their bones, turn on the canine lullabies and turn their lights off.

We take note of every dogs behaviour. Obviously if the dog is only staying a day or two you wouldn't know their normal behaviour, but you can let the owner know how the dog has behaved while staying. I would think any good kennel owner can tell a nervous dog from a happy, outgoing dog! The owner should know this so that they can make an informed decision about boarding their dog next time. I have told people that their dog is not suitable for boarding, and would be better left with friends as they were so stressed by their stay that it is not in the dogs best interest to be boarded. This is not a reflection on our kennel or our love and attention - the dog is a nervous type and the woners need to know that this is how the dog reacts to kenneling.

Yes some dogs may loose weight, but the kennels should be making every effort to ensure the weight loss is minimal and making a note of this eg. Pete didn't eat on the first day, we tried chicken meat, warmed dog roll etc.. and tell you that when you pick him up.

Grooming may be an extra fee but once again the kennel should tell you this when you drop the dog off. We send dogs home in as good a condition if not better than when they are dropped off. You have entrusted the care of your dog to someone else, if they believe grooming will be require during the dogs stay to be able to retun him in the same condition (and that is an extra) then they need to tell you this.

We do charge by the day including day of drop off and day of pick up if not picked up before 10am. Same as others have said we need to care for your dog everyday he is here with us and therefore you pay for that time, attention, expertise. I think though that if you had been happy with the service you wouldn't even mention the price. Perhaps just a little more information from the kennel when you dropped him off would have short circuited the Sunday problem. Does seem a tad steep to charge for the day when you had no option but to pick up Sunday afternoon, although again if they had told you this you would have been prepared or made arrangements to get him Saturday.

Anyway I could go on all night but I need to get some sleep so I can get up and look after our boarders tomorrow :rofl:

I posted earlier the kennel's policy on grooming, their website says all dogs will be hyrdobathed before pick up. I quoted it.

Quote from Beds from tails website

Prior to checkout our guests receive a complimentary hydrotherapy session then "fluff" dryed leaving them look and feel absolutely pampered.

Hi PandaGirl thanks for your reply but sorry I couldn't find that on their webpage?

It's under the 'services' menu, sort of mixed in with everything else and easy to miss!