Just Came Home From The Dog Kennel Disappointed

Pete.the.dog

BoomBoom, that's a really aggressive post....

You mention walking the dogs, and appear to know a lot about the daily routine...are you employed as a dog walker at this particular kennel??? If you are, I think your employer would be a little disappointed in your unprofessional attitude towards a client...just from your post alone, it would put me off wanting to board a dog there!!!!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boom booom said
yes you did expect to much for the time of year

What utter rubbish .We run kennels & are standards are the same all year.

I wonder if the owners of the kennels now about the posts here??

Well a girl just joined DOL tonight saying she was from the kennels, then tried to promote them in another board! She sent me emails which barely made sense and didn't add up to things she had previously said, and then she said Pete was an unusual colour for his breed. I didn't know mutts came in unusual colours. This is all very strange.

I'm glad someone else saw the rubbishness in boomboom's post

ADD: This is all quite odd. I think I'm going to have to give the kennels a call tomorrow morning

Edited by Pete.the.dog

ADD: This is all quite odd. I think I'm going to have to give the kennels a call tomorrow morning

I suspect you might be looking for a new kennels too???!!! :hug:

I agree with Willow.

Boomboom, with an attitude like that I would worry how the animals are treated especially as it's the busiest time of the year and clearly you sound understaffed and/or flustered.

Don't be put off of boarding kennels from one experience Pete.the.dog - some of us are actually very good :hug:

I don't think that your expectations were too high at all, but a smaller, more personalised kennel may be what your after.

I have just been down to kiss the dogs good night, give those who have bones their bones, turn on the canine lullabies and turn their lights off.

We take note of every dogs behaviour. Obviously if the dog is only staying a day or two you wouldn't know their normal behaviour, but you can let the owner know how the dog has behaved while staying. I would think any good kennel owner can tell a nervous dog from a happy, outgoing dog! The owner should know this so that they can make an informed decision about boarding their dog next time. I have told people that their dog is not suitable for boarding, and would be better left with friends as they were so stressed by their stay that it is not in the dogs best interest to be boarded. This is not a reflection on our kennel or our love and attention - the dog is a nervous type and the woners need to know that this is how the dog reacts to kenneling.

Yes some dogs may loose weight, but the kennels should be making every effort to ensure the weight loss is minimal and making a note of this eg. Pete didn't eat on the first day, we tried chicken meat, warmed dog roll etc.. and tell you that when you pick him up.

Grooming may be an extra fee but once again the kennel should tell you this when you drop the dog off. We send dogs home in as good a condition if not better than when they are dropped off. You have entrusted the care of your dog to someone else, if they believe grooming will be require during the dogs stay to be able to retun him in the same condition (and that is an extra) then they need to tell you this.

We do charge by the day including day of drop off and day of pick up if not picked up before 10am. Same as others have said we need to care for your dog everyday he is here with us and therefore you pay for that time, attention, expertise. I think though that if you had been happy with the service you wouldn't even mention the price. Perhaps just a little more information from the kennel when you dropped him off would have short circuited the Sunday problem. Does seem a tad steep to charge for the day when you had no option but to pick up Sunday afternoon, although again if they had told you this you would have been prepared or made arrangements to get him Saturday.

Anyway I could go on all night but I need to get some sleep so I can get up and look after our boarders tomorrow :rofl:

Thanks for your input, if only Ceduna wasn't 9 hours away :rofl:

That same member has now changed her name and deleted what she wrote on the other thread, interestingly the bits where they said they fed their own food, which is what I was questioning when the dog was supplied with his own

Edited by casowner

Pete, I had visited several kennels in Adelaide last month to place my dog.

To be honest, appart from one kennel, I found the rest pretty scarey and would never put my dog in any of them, no matter what.

Perhaps you could consider a private home to look after your dog next time, there are several out there and their fees are around the same, give or take.

I totally agree with you there.... i have worked at many of boarding knls & knowing what I know..........what goes on behind closed doors .......I would NEVER send my dogs to a b /knl... I would get family or friend to care for my pet, or what you have suggested have someone come to the home, where the animal is familar with its own surroundings.......

We took Annie to a kennel for an overnight stay, it was recommended by our vet who said everyone raves about it......

The place is very shaded with trees, great as its hot up here. The individual kennels open into one court yard, in which Annie was placed. We gave them her blanket to make her feel more at home, and we said goodbye and left...

We got back the next day and Annie's collar was nearly chewed off, she was filthy, her blanket was soaked and she walked with a limp every since. We found out they slept in open kennels on cement floors. Annie was an indoor dog and had never slept outside.

The limp was the start of arthritis on a congenital Hip problem. She had problems getting up after laying in one spot for a while, or moving at all if she was cold.

I would never take my dog to that place again. And I'd never recommend them, oh and it cost us $12 for the night.

Lynn

Pete.the.dog ~ I hope you get some answers....sometimes you have no choice but to use a kennel, we live in the Mid North, and went to one kennel near us, we walked in and walked out within 5 minutes....it took 5 minutes to tear our eyes away from the cats with puss filled eyes, about 10 of them in a large aviary, and the dogs kenneled in the hot sun with no shelter OMG!

Thats now 2 out of 2 I would never go to again. We don't have the option of having family or friends that we can board our dog, so its either take them with us or don't go. Most times its for Drs appointments in the city, so we don't have the choice.

I guess, when we get another dog, its going to be a quick 6hr day trip, never overnight.

Lynn

Edited by Morgansacre

I went on a holiday that was a 1500 km drive each way. I drove my Dobe to a breed knowleadgable breeding kennel that was great. I had to drive 750kms to get to it and it did take us around 300 out of our way but was worth it for peace of mind.

I hope you get it sorted PTD

I went on a holiday that was a 1500 km drive each way. I drove my Dobe to a breed knowleadgable breeding kennel that was great. I had to drive 750kms to get to it and it did take us around 300 out of our way but was worth it for peace of mind.

Thanks :thumbsup: It's really more about the weird posts on here and messages that I want answers for now more than anything else. He's been there, it's done, but the stuff thats happened since just feels a bit off to me..

Have you had your phone call returned yet?

I noticed that the other member had been on reading this thread a few minutes ago. I don't know what your messages said but he/she is probably new (maybe) to the world of animal care and thought they were doing the right thing? Changing diets bothers me a bit though

Thanks :thumbsup: It's really more about the weird posts on here and messages that I want answers for now more than anything else. He's been there, it's done, but the stuff thats happened since just feels a bit off to me..

Hmm...I found it odd that if these members are staff, that they are on here leaving strange messages....i wonder if the boss knows??? I get the impression from the way the posts are written they are quite young.....They seemed to have joined DOL specifically to reply to this thread too......it just paints the whole business in a bad light....if that is really what is going on.

And I can fully understand that - not knowing of course what anu PM's have said.

In the same situation I am quite sure it would sit a little uneasy with me.

Have you contacted the kennel as yet?

BoomBoom, that's a really aggressive post....

You mention walking the dogs, and appear to know a lot about the daily routine...are you employed as a dog walker at this particular kennel??? If you are, I think your employer would be a little disappointed in your unprofessional attitude towards a client...just from your post alone, it would put me off wanting to board a dog there!!!!

no i dont (never herd of this kennel i think im in the wrong state) i worked in a kennel years ago and this past week alone i have had people saying realy horrible stuff about kennels in general and its all people that have never even walked in a kennel before, one in particular is my fiance when while talking about going on holiday brought it up, sorry you got the rant pete but i just came from a argument with him to read this and went 'not another!'

my rant is over and sorry for being rude im calm now...