'building Better Dogs' Seminar 11 Feb 2010

mlc

Do you have any further info on exactly what topics Goddard is speaking on?

Mike Goddard's abstract reads:

Genetics of Dog Behaviour and Breeding Programs to Improve Canine Welfare

The most important step in any breeding program is to decide on the objectives. Since most puppies sold become pets, the main objective should be to breed dogs that become successful pets. Two sets of traits contribute towards this – behavioural traits and health traits – and both of these also impact on the welfare of the dog. Some abnormalities are due to a single mutant gene such as progressive retinal atrophy (PRA). In many cases the mutant gene is recessive so a dog can carry the mutant gene but appear perfectly normal. In some cases there are DNA tests to detect such carriers. However most diseases are due to many genes and environmental factors (eg hip dysplasia and epilepsy). In these cases the best strategy is to estimate the overall genetic merit of the dog for each trait and select those with highest merit. This would be helped greatly by calculating estimated breeding values for each dog for each important trait but to do this would require that a central registry was kept of dogs’ status for traits such as HD and epilepsy. Among behavioural traits, fearfulness, aggression and over excitability are undesirable traits. They are also controlled by many genes and by environmental factors and the best way to improve them is to select animals with desirable estimated breeding values for these traits.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because we like the breeds we do,they are not interested in our viewpoints, research or experiences,minds are already made up that the only way dog health will be fixed is to force us out through ridiculous legislation or to breed The ideal "generic " oodle dog.

Dont think i could sit through that.

Call me cynical,but i agree with Erny- I wonder what hare brained legislation will be formed next for the non -puppy farmer,mass pet shop producer?

This seminar is not anti-pure breeds. It would be so great if you would actually come and see and listen and speak and participate and be a part of the day.

How else will you share your viewpoints, research and experiences? That's what these speakers are aiming to do - share ideas and be open to discussion.

Come along and be part of it!

If i lived in Vic i would.

And if not anti purebred-why so little input from the recognised CC,breed clubs or breeders-the majority of speakers dont breed purebreds do they ?

But then maybe i am just anti puppy farming/pet shops,DD :laugh:

:thumbsup:

Edited by centitout

This seminar is not anti-pure breeds. It would be so great if you would actually come and see and listen and speak and participate and be a part of the day.

How else will you share your viewpoints, research and experiences? That's what these speakers are aiming to do - share ideas and be open to discussion.

:cry:

I plan to be there. But would they share (and take any notice) of a viewpoint that someone is frightened about where their views and research is going to end up? History dictates "control" by the Government of what we can and can't own; what we can and can't use; what we can and can't do. It is a snowball that is gathering momentum and size. Dramatics on my part? Time can only tell on that score. But unfortunately, when we know the truth it is often too late to do anything about it because by then, the minds of those that hold power have already been made up, and public invite for objections seems to be only a matter of semantics.

The pictures of the "building block" style toy dogs they have on the flier struck me as ironic.

Not the same as, but along the lines of this one ...

post-5887-1263294035_thumb.jpg

Will hindsight have us looking back and realising that it is exactly this type of dog that we are ONLY allowed to own?

Edited by Erny

If i lived in Vic i would.

And if not anti purebred-why so little input from the recognised CC,breed clubs or breeders-the majority of speakers dont breed purebreds do they ?

But then maybe i am just anti puppy farming/pet shops,DD :cry:

As I mentioned in an earlier post - I think the speakers came together through their involvement with the Animal Welfare Science Centre who is hosting the day.

No conspiracy theories please!

The majority of speakers are students or researchers within the AWSC itself. Not all of us breed dogs, but we are all involved in research with dogs and many of us also work with dogs and the dog industry in one way, shape or form.

The flier has information about accommodation near to Monash. The day itself is free. Any chance you could make the trip?

Do you have any further info on exactly what topics Goddard is speaking on?

Mike Goddard's abstract reads:

Genetics of Dog Behaviour and Breeding Programs to Improve Canine Welfare

The most important step in any breeding program is to decide on the objectives. Since most puppies sold become pets, the main objective should be to breed dogs that become successful pets. Two sets of traits contribute towards this – behavioural traits and health traits – and both of these also impact on the welfare of the dog. Some abnormalities are due to a single mutant gene such as progressive retinal atrophy (PRA). In many cases the mutant gene is recessive so a dog can carry the mutant gene but appear perfectly normal. In some cases there are DNA tests to detect such carriers. However most diseases are due to many genes and environmental factors (eg hip dysplasia and epilepsy). In these cases the best strategy is to estimate the overall genetic merit of the dog for each trait and select those with highest merit. This would be helped greatly by calculating estimated breeding values for each dog for each important trait but to do this would require that a central registry was kept of dogs' status for traits such as HD and epilepsy. Among behavioural traits, fearfulness, aggression and over excitability are undesirable traits. They are also controlled by many genes and by environmental factors and the best way to improve them is to select animals with desirable estimated breeding values for these traits.

O.K. Nothing new there - what is the aim of the seminar.

I plan to be there. But would they share (and take any notice) of a viewpoint that someone is frightened about where their views and research is going to end up? History dictates "control" by the Government of what we can and can't own; what we can and can't use; what we can and can't do. It is a snowball that is gathering momentum and size. Dramatics on my part? Time can only tell on that score. But unfortunately, when we know the truth it is often too late to do anything about it.

The pictures of the "building block" style toy dogs they have on the flier struck me as ironic.

Not the same as, but along the lines of this one ...

post-5887-1263294035_thumb.jpg

I look forward to meeting you Erny! I really hope the various stakeholders can move forwards to a more positive place than the history you refer to. I think the best way to do that is to get together and start talking face to face so we can effectively share ideas and listen and learn from each other.

I like the dog picture used (attached) - building blocks and building dogs. Talking about genetics and breeding and experiential effects that make up dogs - not so ironic, is it?

post-31170-1263294509_thumb.jpg

Kate's the puppy farmer vet, isn't she? The one who breeds "labradoodles" and so on. She also breeds beagle/cav crosses with the aim of eradicating the beagle's drive to scent :rofl:

I don't get it....they are BEAGLES!! Whats wrong with the drive to scent - they are SCENThounds...am I missing something?? Why would anyone want to change a Beagle???

:cry::cry:

Kate's the puppy farmer vet, isn't she? The one who breeds "labradoodles" and so on. She also breeds beagle/cav crosses with the aim of eradicating the beagle's drive to scent :(

I don't get it....they are BEAGLES!! Whats wrong with the drive to scent - they are SCENThounds...am I missing something?? Why would anyone want to change a Beagle???

:cry::rofl:

Apparently their drive to scent is what stops them being the "perfect family pet" :mad ... but that is getting off topic :cry:

Talking about genetics and breeding and experiential effects that make up dogs - not so ironic, is it?

Sorry that I can not share your relaxed optimism, mlc. I very much hope the outcome and subsequent future use of the research proves my concerns displaced. Given those concerns, and the reality they could become, I still think the use of those pictures is ironic. Thanks for putting up the real picture. I was unable to do so from this end :cry:,.

I look forward to meeting you Erny! I really hope the various stakeholders can move forwards to a more positive place than the history you refer to. I think the best way to do that is to get together and start talking face to face so we can effectively share ideas and listen and learn from each other.

I will look forward to meeting you too, MLC. I agree that at least this is an opportunity to talk and share ideas. I cannot help my cynicism to what good or use it would do for the long term outcome of research use though. I need to ask you to forgive me for that - it is a frame of mind that has learnt by experience. As I said, forgive, but don't forget. :cry:

Edited by Erny

O.K. Nothing new there - what is the aim of the seminar.

The aim of the day is for the keynote speakers to be accessible to share information and ideas and answer stakeholder questions that may be generated through such a forum. Also to showcase the dog-related research being done currently by students of the Animal Welfare Science Centre.

There will also be opportunities for stakeholder to network (with all speakers/students and with each other) and to have input to suggest future research directions that you'd like to see the AWSC directing resources into.

If someone was driving down there and i could share a lift i may possibly be able to go,or maybe fly-getting to canberra is the hard part to catch a plane as my partner doesnt drive at all.

Centitout - I have room here for you too, if you can get down.

Kate's the puppy farmer vet, isn't she? The one who breeds "labradoodles" and so on. She also breeds beagle/cav crosses with the aim of eradicating the beagle's drive to scent :rofl:

:cry::cry:

I hope no one starts breeding bloodhounds that dont want to sniff,that is part of their appeal.

I cant understand it either,if you dont want a dog that sniffs,or needs a lot of excercise,or needs a good daily brush or other special needs-they should do their research and actually pick a breed THAT IS SUITED, there are lots out there to choose from, they should not expect the breeds very essence to be changed to suit a few .

BUILDING BETTER DOGS: Using what we’ve learned about genetic and experiential effects to improve dog welfare.

You're invited to attend the Animal Welfare Science Centre's upcoming “Building Better Dogs” seminar.

When: Thursday 11th February, 10.00am – 4.00pm (Registration, tea and coffee from 9.30am, Lunch provided)

Where: South 1 Theatre, Monash University, Clayton, Vic.

ATTENDANCE AT THIS SEMINAR IS FREE

Keynote speakers:

Paul McGreevy (University of Sydney) - Breeding for quality of life

Mike Goddard (University of Melbourne) - Genetics of dog behaviour and breeding programs to improve canine welfare

Pauleen Bennett (Monash University) - Why behaviour is as important as conformation when selecting breeding dogs

Kate Schoeffel (Australian Association of Pet Dog Breeders) - A model for an association of professional pet dog breeders

Plus panel/audience discussion with all keynote speakers

Students from the Animal Welfare Science Centre will also be presenting about their research:

Kate Mornement – Monash University - Community attitudes towards shelter dogs

Mia Cobb – Monash University - The experience of young dogs transitioning from the home environment into a kennel facility

Tammie King – Monash University - Identifying ‘ideal’ companion dogs for Australia

Vanessa Rohlf – Monash University - What makes people responsible owners?

and Lisa Tomkins – University of Sydney - The Sensory Jump Test: a measure of sensory laterality in dogs

oh look there goes my friend Tammie and her overseer Pauline, prototype pushers of modpet.

Good to see all that research paying dividends ...

Edited by lilli

I am planning to attend.

If anyone needs accommodation, please PM me. I live 10 minutes from Monash.

I look forward to meeting you too Elfin! We'll all need t-shirts with our DOL usernames on them to find each other!

If someone was driving down there and i could share a lift i may possibly be able to go,or maybe fly-getting to canberra is the hard part to catch a plane as my partner doesnt drive at all.

Centitout - I have room here for you too, if you can get down.

Thanks Erny,will have to see what i can do,i actually have my first show coming up in 3 years that weekend as well,but it isnt a big deal.

To tell the truth,flying scares the crap out of me :cry:

oh look there goes my friend Tammie and her overseer Pauline, prototype pushers of modpet.

Good to see all that research paying dividends ...

That's a bit unnecessary isn't it?

Why not come along on the day and listen to what they have to say and ask questions or get involved in a discussion rather than just be rude?

Hope to see you there!

OMG - Yet again our Canine Associations do not have representation - really who should know more about 'breeding better dogs'. Why are they never involved at this level ?????????

Why don't the MDBA have a speaker invited - more knowledge there than all the other speakers put together. But then I guess we are dog breeders not dog builders.

Not sure I want to hear the puppy farming association speach either - totally against my ethics.

that would be because the MDBA is about pure breeds -

McGeevy Pauline Tammie and friends are about cross breeding -

and removing pure bred dogs.