'building Better Dogs' Seminar 11 Feb 2010

mlc

You O.K. for a ride from the airport Erny?

What time/flight details and I'll come pick you up.

Someone else asked if they could come with me to the seminar (and I'm sorry ..... I've forgotten who that was :laugh:). If that person would still would like to do that she is more than welcome, although I'll be leaving here earlier to get to the airport and back to the seminar venue in time. Please contact me to let me know.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am coming, and and deerhoundowner is flying down, too.

Does Deerhoundowner wish for me to pick him/her up from the airport as well - I'm going to be there anyway ???

Elfin - was it yourself who spoke with me wanting to come with me to the seminar?

Does Deerhoundowner wish for me to pick him/her up from the airport as well - I'm going to be there anyway ???

Elfin - was it yourself who spoke with me wanting to come with me to the seminar?

Deerhoundowner is flying in this afternoon, but thank you so much for the offer. I am taking the dawgs to the train station to meet her so that she knows who I am. Hopefully I will be the only person at Darling Station with three Deerhounds!!! :)

We will be getting a taxi to the seminar but would love to meet you there before we go in...

So it's Erny, Steve, Elfin and deerhoundowner... anyone else?

Deerhoundowner is flying in this afternoon, but thank you so much for the offer. I am taking the dawgs to the train station to meet her so that she knows who I am. Hopefully I will be the only person at Darling Station with three Deerhounds!!! :driving:

We will be getting a taxi to the seminar but would love to meet you there before we go in...

goldchow too

Deerhoundowner is flying in this afternoon, but thank you so much for the offer. I am taking the dawgs to the train station to meet her so that she knows who I am. Hopefully I will be the only person at Darling Station with three Deerhounds!!! :driving:

goldchow too

Me too.

I have just returned from the seminar, but I am not eloquent enough to give a decent report...

Needless to say, there was a bit of :rofl: , one or two ;) , the occasional :laugh: and not nearly as much :laugh: from the audience as I thought there would be.

Most of the speakers spoke very well, even if I disagreed with a few points that were made. The audience was very well behaved, considering.

Lunch was really nice.

I did not feel I personally gained very much from the keynote speakers. Some of the student presentations were interesting.

The entire day was taped and will be made available on the net apparently.

I am sure Judy and Steve and goldchow will give a much better insight into what went on. :)

I thought the presenters made some very good points. I was particularly impressed with Pauline Bennett. Also I think Paul McGeevy's views have been misrepresented by some posters on this forum - he made some very good points to.

More controversial were Paul Goddard, and (more particularly) Kate Schoeffet - but both also made some good points.

and, as Elfin has said, the student presentations were very very interesting.

Hi everyone,

thanks to those of you who came along today - it was a really good day (with a couple of feisty moments and a couple awkward ones), but I'm really glad so many people turned up and took part.

For those of you who weren't able to make it, we should have the recordings (real time powerpoint presentations with the live audio - including question/answer sessions) online within the next week. It takes a few days for Monash to release it, then we'll need to edit into individual speakers and get it hosted on a site.

I will be sure to return to this thread to post the presentations once it's online.

Thanks again to everyone for their input and feedback.

Cheers,

:)

Mia

KismetKat can you please list the points made by each speaker?

I'm sorry, I wasn't taking notes (tho many people were). I'm sure they'll start posting soon and if I disagree with their 'take' on what was said am happy to jump into the fray :)

But basically - no-one is against pure-breed dogs. Overwhelmingly they feel that registered breeders are doing the right thing. They don't want to see breeds disappear. However breeders do need to do something about breeds that have problems and 'problems' does include behavioural issues that can be genetic.

There were also some interesting points about desexing. You might not realise a dog is a truly great dog until it is mature (even up to 6 years of age) but if it's been desexed as it is a 'pet' you've lost that dog from the gene pool. Perhaps more sales on breeders terms????

KismetKat can you please list the points made by each speaker?

I'm sorry, I wasn't taking notes (tho many people were). I'm sure they'll start posting soon and if I disagree with their 'take' on what was said am happy to jump into the fray :)

But basically - no-one is against pure-breed dogs. Overwhelmingly they feel that registered breeders are doing the right thing. They don't want to see breeds disappear. However breeders do need to do something about breeds that have problems and 'problems' does include behavioural issues that can be genetic.

There were also some interesting points about desexing. You might not realise a dog is a truly great dog until it is mature (even up to 6 years of age) but if it's been desexed as it is a 'pet' you've lost that dog from the gene pool. Perhaps more sales on breeders terms????

Sorry,not keen to do breeder contracts anymore-none have worked out,1 was someone i knew well!And giant breed dogs are more than middle age at 6,so not really an option leaving them until then before breeding.

Wish i could have gone though,would have been "interesting".

Clarification: It is me asking should breeders sell on breeders terms, NOT a suggestion by the panelists. The panelists were merely making the point that you may not really know the true nature of the dog until it is mature and it is a shame that many dogs that prove to be good dogs, have already been desexed.