'building Better Dogs' Seminar 11 Feb 2010

mlc

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a good place to be to me. Im in anyone want to join me?

Julie

You mean going to the seminar, or being on the speaking list?

I'm quite concerned about these studies, as was made quite clear in the other thread on it. If I can be there, I think it would be good to be able to listen and comment.

Edited by Erny

We're hoping to hold a seminar that's inclusive and aims to open up discussion amongst all stakeholders. .

Were representatives from the VCA, ANKC or MDBA invited to speak?

That's a question for the Animal Welfare Science Centre. As mentioned above, two of the speakers are registered pure bred breeders.

You're certainly all very welcome to attend.

:laugh:

We're hoping to hold a seminar that's inclusive and aims to open up discussion amongst all stakeholders. .

That's a question for the Animal Welfare Science Centre. As mentioned above, two of the speakers are registered pure bred breeders.

You're certainly all very welcome to attend.

Which ones are registered purebred dog breeders?

Looks like a good place to be to me. Im in anyone want to join me?

Julie

You mean going to the seminar, or being on the speaking list?

I'm quite concerned about these studies, as was made quite clear in the other thread on it. If I can be there, I think it would be good to be able to listen and comment.

going to the seminar- Cant be a speaker we ddnt get an invite.

Registered with who to breed what?

The MDBA wasnt invited.

I wonder why not ?

not high profile? May people don't know who they are??? the MDBA also isn't the representing body of pure breeders - the ANKC is? (not a criticism steve, just an pbservation...)

going to the seminar- Cant be a speaker we ddnt get an invite.

Ya mean you're coming down to Melbourne? :laugh:

There's a room for you here, if you would like one. As per previous post, I plan to be there.

Would be great if you/MDBA were invited as a speaker.

Registered with who to breed what?

with the VCA/ANKC to breed pedigree dogs.

The MDBA wasnt invited.

I wonder why not ?

not high profile? May people don't know who they are??? the MDBA also isn't the representing body of pure breeders - the ANKC is? (not a criticism steve, just an pbservation...)

Thats O.K. Im not bothered I dont mind not being a speaker. .

Of course no one from the canine councils,MDBA would have been invited,registered breeders are the ones they will be bagging out-we are responsible,according to some, for everything that is wrong in dogs,purebred , genetic or not,because we like the breeds we do,they are not interested in our viewpoints, research or experiences,minds are already made up that the only way dog health will be fixed is to force us out through ridiculous legislation or to breed The ideal "generic " oodle dog.

Oh,and crossbreds do not have any health problems because of their HYBRID VIGOUR according to the experts,so lets everyone breed another 400,000 a year,as long as they are part of an "association' thats all fine.

Dont think i could sit through that.

Call me cynical,but i agree with Erny- I wonder what hare brained legislation will be formed next for the non -puppy farmer,mass pet shop producer?

Do you have any further info on exactly what topics Goddard is speaking on?

Not much is said on the flier, Steve. Haven't got your current email address on this computer. If you email me [email protected], I'll forward you the email I received togehter with the flier.

From what I see, this is all that it says on Goddard :

Mike Goddard: Genetics of dog behaviour and breeding programs to improve canine welfare

Michael Goddard is Professorial Fellow in Animal Genetics at University of Melbourne and Victorian Department of Primary Industries (DPI). He graduated in veterinary science and did his PhD at University of Melbourne on the topic of „A breeding program for guide dogs for the blind‟ in conjunction with the Royal Guide Dogs for the Blind Association. Since then he has worked at James Cook University in Townsville, DPI in Victoria and University of New England in Armidale where, as well as teaching, his research has been on the genetic improvement of livestock. He was recently awarded an honorary doctorate from the Life Sciences University of Norway for his contributions to livestock genetics. In 2010 he will be a keynote speaker at the World Congress on Genetics Applied to Livestock Production in Leipzig, Germany.

because we like the breeds we do,they are not interested in our viewpoints, research or experiences,minds are already made up that the only way dog health will be fixed is to force us out through ridiculous legislation or to breed The ideal "generic " oodle dog.

Dont think i could sit through that.

Call me cynical,but i agree with Erny- I wonder what hare brained legislation will be formed next for the non -puppy farmer,mass pet shop producer?

This seminar is not anti-pure breeds. It would be so great if you would actually come and see and listen and speak and participate and be a part of the day.

How else will you share your viewpoints, research and experiences? That's what these speakers are aiming to do - share ideas and be open to discussion.

Come along and be part of it!