People Who Are Scared Of Dogs

huski

I wasn't facing Daisy Erny, I had her in classic heel position on my left side. We'd moved off the foot path and into a drive way so that we weren't close to the woman. My body wasn't blocking Daisy entirely though, I will try this next time for sure.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ETA I also find that talking to the dog in a happy voice, ie: "No, Cabes... they don't want to speak to you today" and things like that seems to put people at ease. Make it *obvious* that you care and are being a good owner...

When I take my Daisy out walking and we pass people, she gets told to 'mind her own business' or 'they don't want to play with you' if she starts to head towards if she looks like she's about to try to say hello. She also knows she has to sit and be calm when joggers/bikers/prams/other dogs go past. I find it really does help with people who are worried about her.

Still think you should say something to the lady - or make some indication her behaviour is not called for and not acceptable.

It's not just up to YOU to do the responsible thing - you're doing your part already. You do have the right to walk your 'in control' dog without having to go through this grief.

I feel sorry for people who are afraid, but we each have our own responsibilities - and they have to face theirs too (if the dog was pulling at the lead trying to get to them, I would say something different - but huski is already going out of her way to show that the dog is harmless and now this lady must also try to curb her own behaviour). YOu just can't walk down the street waving metal poles at innocent people, regardless of what your problem is, and she needs to take responsibility for her own actions.

If someone was afraid of a certain nationality for instance (perhaps had a bad experience etc) it wouldn't be acceptable to wave metal poles at everyone suspected of being that nationality would it? Or if a certain gender had traumatised them, waving a metal pole at everyone of that gender is unacceptable. It would probably get you a kick in the teeth much quicker than NOT waving a metal pole would.

If she spoke English and would stop long enough to let me try and communicate something to her I definitely would - but she literally runs past Daisy screaming/almost crying and it doesn't give me much of a chance to stop her. I will try and reassure her with a "she's friendly" and as friendly body language as possible next time though.

Edited by huski

If she spoke English and would stop long enough to let me try and communicate something to her I definitely would - but she literally runs past Daisy screaming/almost crying and it doesn't give me much of a chance to stop her. I will try and reassure her with a "she's friendly" and as friendly body language as possible next time though.

I'd try "I've got her", rather than "she's friendly" - that often means they'll jump on you but, hey, "she's friendly"! I know Daisy wouldn't do that, but it really is a tainted phrase.

The problem when someone is behaving like that with a dangerous weapon in their hands is that they can just as easily hit the person instead of the dog, especially if she panics so easily. This risk is increased if you put yourself between the dog and her in an effort to protect the dog. What if the dog is being walked by a child?

This woman is unsafe, regardless of whether she's got a phobia, a mental illness etc, to people AS WELL as dogs and that is probably why the council and Police would be concerned at her behaviour.

Maybe she's just scared of the owner :eek:

Just jokes huski :(

Maybe she is a doler. :eek::eek:

Jokes aside, it must be quite crippling to live with that kind of extreem fear. If she has a regular time that she is out walking I would consider trying to bump in to her without the dogs and see if she is able to understand any english. Maybe even have a note with you, like someone else suggested, to give her so she can take it home and have it translated.

I haven't been out walking from my house since Brock and I got attacked :eek: . That was 2 years ago now. So I guess the lady is showing some guts to walk when she is scared. Would have taken more than a pole to beat off the dog that attacked Brock. :eek:

Courage is doing something that scares you. Going out walking obviously scares her but she is doing it anyway. If she is older and doesn't speak English who knows what might have happened to her to make her this way.

• 3 weeks later...

This is very difficult I know. I tutor children and some of the children who come from overseas and their parents (especially if they are from India or Pakistan where dogs are wild and roam the streets in packs) are understandably very frightened.

I usually have at least one dog at my office and I have to crate them when those kids come in. Other kids complain if I don't have a dog around! However, I have been able to reassure some of the kids by putting the dog into a drop, letting them pat the dog under the chin, not on top of the head because they make darting movements and the dog wants to lick them and they think they're going to get bitten. One child actually liked my dog so much she asked her mum for one. Some of the parents were very grateful for helping their children overcome their fear of dogs. I feel like holding classes for that LOL.

It is difficult when people don't speak English though, and there are some cultures who think dogs are dirty. I was very annoyed with one mum who made her son very quickly wash his hands after I had finally gotten him over his fear and actually patted my dog! He told me later that it was against his religion to touch a dog as they are considered dirty! :)

Anyway I do sympathise with your problem, I can only suggest you put your dog into a drop, and stand between you and this woman as far away as possible. Best of luck, it's a tough one.

What can you do? :) Get well off the path, put Daisy in a sit and make sure you're between her and the woman. The rest is up to her. Maybe if you do it often enough she'll start to see that at least your dog isn't cause for panic.

What a nut.

Sorry but come on, that's just ridiculous. We have an African family next door and the kids are TERRIFIED of our dogs. We just tell them they're friendly, but they still keep their distance....this however, is just out of hand.

I guess you just need to try and avoid her, but I tell you what, if she raised a pole at my dog (when it was doing nothing wrong) she'd probably see the end of it herself :)

I'd be inclined to bark at her as soon as she was approaching, see if you can out 'crazy lady' her and she if she will leave you alone :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Awesome, take a person that has a phobia of dogs and BARK at them... that's terrific... you are such a compassionate being! Just because she is afraid of dogs that does not make her a 'crazy lady'

Aussie3, why is it "out of hand" for your neighbours to be afraid of dogs? Because you are not?

Huski, as for trying to speak with her and trying to convince her that your dog is friendly/well behaved/non-aggressive etc... that is just a waste of breath and time, even if she spoke English - if you have a dog phobia you don't care how nice the dog is, who the owner is, if they are trained, if the sit, if they drop, even if they are on a leash - I know, I had a serious phobia until about 6 years ago- every time I saw a dog I had to cross the street, hhide behind furniture, even run the other way - and yes, I was fully aware that running away would potentially send a dog running after me, but that did not enter the equation whenn I was face to face with a dog - it's irrational, but that is what a phobia is...

There is a lady who walks around our neighbourhood every day who is terrified of dogs.

She walks with a big metal pole in her hand and raises it if dogs come near her.

I try to avoid her as best I can, but sometimes our paths cross and we have to walk by each other. No matter what I do with Daisy when we walk past, she freaks out.

I walked in between her and Daisy the other day and Daisy crossed in front of me to sniff something. She wasn't pulling on the leash, or moving to be near the lady. I grabbed her and pulled her back knowing that this woman had a big pole but she freaked out and raised it like she was going to hit Daisy. Thankfully I pulled her away in time.

Just a couple of days ago we walked past her again, so this time I thought I would walk part way up a drive way to clear the foot path so we would be as far from this woman as possible. I put Daisy in a sit in heel position to make sure she wouldn't go any where. The woman freaked out and raised the pole, screamed and ran past us as fast as possible.

If this person is walking the streets, carrying a big metal pole and screams at people, i'd say she almost needs to be reported. There's no place for a person to be

walking the streets, carrying a weapon and screaming at people. Sounds like she may have some mental issue and in that case, shouldn't be out walking the streets on her own.

In fact, i'm going to ask my mate who is in the QPS what would happen if this person was reported or if there's a law against a person walking the streets with a weapon and screaming at people.

You've got your dog under control, you've backed up a driveway and have her on a leash and this woman still raises this pole and screams ??

What if a child is out walking a dog and she reacts the same way ?

Edited by RottyLover01

I know, I had a serious phobia until about 6 years ago- every time I saw a dog I had to cross the street, hhide behind furniture, even run the other way - and yes, I was fully aware that running away would potentially send a dog running after me, but that did not enter the equation whenn I was face to face with a dog - it's irrational, but that is what a phobia is...

I hope this isnt too offtopic but, how did you fix your phobia?

My daughter sounds exactly the same (except with our dog) and I want to help her before she gets worse. Any advice?