Best Diet For Shiny Coat

What would be the best diet to get a shiny coat in a red kelpie. I feed my girl advance puppy, she steals a bit of milk from the cow shed, ( ive stopped that from happenning now) and the odd beef bone but her coat is dull. Other red kelpies ive seen often have a dull coat too. She has just had her first heat so that may have something to do with it, but shes not really molting badly like gsd i have had. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers Kaye

I feed bonnie a raw chicken neck most evenings (I've heard that a bit of chicken fat is good for their coats). She also gets mince/veg some days and a high quality dry food.

Maybe some fish/flaxseed oil would help your kelpie's coat?

Not sure if black dogs are just naturally shiny, but my chi Bonnie has a glorious coat:

post-14922-1263628812_thumb.jpg

Pardon her weight - she is about 1/2 kg slimmer now :thumbsup:

I feed bonnie a raw chicken neck most evenings (I've heard that a bit of chicken fat is good for their coats). She also gets mince/veg some days and a high quality dry food.

Maybe some fish/flaxseed oil would help your kelpie's coat?

Not sure if black dogs are just naturally shiny, but my chi Bonnie has a glorious coat:

post-14922-1263628812_thumb.jpg

Pardon her weight - she is about 1/2 kg slimmer now :thumbsup:

We have a black and tan boy and his coat is shiny, ive seen black dogs with a red tinge from a bad diet so you must be doing the right thing for Bonnie. Looks lovely. Poodle fan may be on to my problem. The sun.

I'm going to whisper this really really really quietly........ in NZ where there are more possums than there are sheep (yes I know that's hard to believe), everyone swears by possum to put a shine on any dog's coat.

Try fish oil or fatty mutton or canned fish

Does she spend a lot of time in the sun?

Is she regularly wormed?

Adding Omega 3 fatty acids to the diet can help. I'd add some chicken wings or drumsticks (raw) as well.

Yes she spends a lot of time in the sun working, she also jumps in troughs and the river that runs through the farm a lot so i dont wash her very often. She is wormed reguarly. I do sometimes give her chicken frames raw if they are in our supermarket.

[We have a black and tan boy and his coat is shiny, ive seen black dogs with a red tinge from a bad diet so you must be doing the right thing for Bonnie. Looks lovely. Poodle fan may be on to my problem. The sun.

Sounds like too much sun is bad for us and our dogs! Makes sense really, especially as the sun seems "stronger" these days (unless that is just my imagination?)

Try, sardines in oil (small tin like 70g) twice a week, and 2 raw eggs with 1 teaspoon of vegimite (mix well) weekly, as well as good balance diet. :thumbsup:

I feed my border collies this and this and does wonders.

And other DOLers have said it may be too much sun as well, might be washing some of the colour away. :(

I'm going to whisper this really really really quietly........ in NZ where there are more possums than there are sheep (yes I know that's hard to believe), everyone swears by possum to put a shine on any dog's coat.

Try fish oil or fatty mutton or canned fish

/quote]

Im a Kiwi so I know what you mean. My Rotty in NZ used to clean up the possums that came in at night to eat my roses. We heard a bit of a scuffle and all that was left in the morning were the claws and some part of the possums stomach. His coat was beautiful. I think there are seven possums for every New Zealander :thumbsup:

Try, sardines in oil (small tin like 70g) twice a week, and 2 raw eggs with 1 teaspoon of vegimite (mix well) weekly, as well as good balance diet. :(

And other DOLers have said it may be too much sun as well, might be washing some of the colour away. :rofl:

Will do, thanks. What about marmite? :thumbsup:

Try, sardines in oil (small tin like 70g) twice a week, and 2 raw eggs with 1 teaspoon of vegimite (mix well) weekly, as well as good balance diet. :rofl:

And other DOLers have said it may be too much sun as well, might be washing some of the colour away. ;)

Will do, thanks. What about marmite? :(

Or Marmite :thumbsup:

Unfortunately some red Kelpies just have poor coats. I know of a number of owners of red and tans who have tried all kinds of supplements with little success. All my dogs are fed the same diet. I have two Kelpies with beautiful coats (one black and tan and one red and tan) one red and tan with an OK coat - shiny over the shoulders and legs but a bit dull over the back especially the rump, and one red and tan with a dry dull coat. They are all fed the same - Eagle Pack, meaty bones, Joint Guard for the older ones, yoghurt and fish oil tablets daily plus either a tin of sardines, chicken mince or an egg. Recently I have started to add seaweed meal but it's too early to tell if that is making a difference. Mine are all inside or in the shade around the middle of the day. They are wormed regularly. I see plenty of red Kelpies with worse coats when I go to trials and people often comment on how well my dogs look but I would like to see more shine. To make matters worse the bitch with the worst coat doesn't belong to me. I keep assuring her owner that I am feeding her the same as I feed my dogs and not treating her like a poor relation. He is quite happy and thinks her coat is far better since she has been living with me. I think all we can do is feed our dogs the best we can and keep them as healthy as possible but it would be nice to see shiny coats. Good luck. Let us know if you find anything that works.

Unfortunately some red Kelpies just have poor coats. I know of a number of owners of red and tans who have tried all kinds of supplements with little success. All my dogs are fed the same diet. I have two Kelpies with beautiful coats (one black and tan and one red and tan) one red and tan with an OK coat - shiny over the shoulders and legs but a bit dull over the back especially the rump, and one red and tan with a dry dull coat. They are all fed the same - Eagle Pack, meaty bones, Joint Guard for the older ones, yoghurt and fish oil tablets daily plus either a tin of sardines, chicken mince or an egg. Recently I have started to add seaweed meal but it's too early to tell if that is making a difference. Mine are all inside or in the shade around the middle of the day. They are wormed regularly. I see plenty of red Kelpies with worse coats when I go to trials and people often comment on how well my dogs look but I would like to see more shine. To make matters worse the bitch with the worst coat doesn't belong to me. I keep assuring her owner that I am feeding her the same as I feed my dogs and not treating her like a poor relation. He is quite happy and thinks her coat is far better since she has been living with me. I think all we can do is feed our dogs the best we can and keep them as healthy as possible but it would be nice to see shiny coats. Good luck. Let us know if you find anything that works.

Cheers, thanks for advice. Will try all suggestions. Kaye