When Choosing Between Two Breeds....

Henrietta

Hi,

If you have ever been torn between two (or a number) breeds, what has ultimately contributed to your decision to choose one over the other.

Obviously, if one is more suited to your lifestyle than the other, that would be an easier decision.

What about if you had a couple of choices, both of which you felt were right for situation. What has swayed you in the past? I know it will differ from person to person, that's a given because we all look for different attributes in our dogs. This is more of a general musing kind of thread, not a 'help me make a decision' kind of thread.

I myself am researching two breeds, haven't made a decision as yet. It will be a long process which is fine. When I do choose one, I will keep researching the other one for the future.

I have spent a lot of time considering and reading about other breeds which I have been drawn to, but that I have ultimately crossed off the list. I was a bit overwhelmed by my long list at first. :eek:

Please share your experiences.

In my case, neither are very common although one is harder to come by than the other. I have seen both in rescue at least on DOL.

It is quite possible that it will come down to breeder, circumstance etc, rather than choosing one over the other.

Hi,

We weren't going to get another dog at all after losing our last one, but not having a dog in the house was horrible, the silence was deafening....so we decided to get another dog...

After having 2 Aussie Bulldogs, we decided to stay with the bulldog character, as we love that the most. This narrowed our list down to 4: British Bulldog, French Bulldog, Pug and Boston Terrier.....then we broke them up even further with pro's and con's.

Boston Terrier: Lap dog, they don't follow the terrier character of digging and yapping, loved the over sized attitude of them, but with little grandchildren I was worried about their delicacy in stature.

Pug: I am allergic to this breed. They shed a tremendous amount of hair, so it meant being on allergic tablets for life, though they are a robust dog and love kids, the eyes worried me.

British Bulldog: They are the biggest breed of my list, they weigh a ton and if they can't jump into the car or out it means carrying it :D they have the most health problems, their temperament is perfect for us and they love kids. But maybe too wide and heavy for our house.

French Bulldog: Same size as our cat. They have less health problems, they love kids, are not yappy, they don't shed as much as most short haired dogs, they like some exercise, but aren't bothered if you don't....so perfect for us.

So out of the 4 we have chosen the French Bulldog. Another consideration was we have an almost 4yr old cat that loves playing with dogs her size, but will not go near dogs bigger than her. The French Bulldog fitted in with this as well. We are not an active family, much like the Frenchie, we get bursts of energy :eek: and sometimes like to sit around and be couch potatoes. It just seemed like the Frenchie was the perfect dog with the perfect temperament for us.

I hope it helps, but you have to consider:

Whose in your family?

Who visits a lot? Kids and elderly people.

What other animals you have?

The activity level of your family? (not just you, as you might not be always available)

The size of your house and garden?

How much time your willing to put in for grooming and exercise?

Is everyone going to pitch in or will it be just you?

Do you have somewhere the dog can stay if you need to be away for a while?

Is the breeds temperament suited to your family?

Is the dog going to be too big for you to control?

I think thats about it, well its all what we thought of when writing out our list and then culling it.

Lynn

It came down to availability in the end for me. And now I do have both breeds :D I was deciding between Vizsla and GSP when I got Flynn the Vizsla who is nearly 12 now. A friend of the family recommended a breeder of both breeds and when I contacted them they actually had a litter of both! I really thought I would find it harder to get a Vizsla than a GSP as they were far less common, but as luck would have it, they had males available from their Vizsla litter and not from the GSP litter, and I wanted a male. The breeders also thought their Vizsla litter would be more suited for the show ring, which I was interested in (but never ended up showing Flynn).

Both breeds were entirely suitable for me, there was just a bit of luck involved in what came first :D

With my current breeds:

I wanted a Bracco Italiano for years, none in Aust. (at the time)

researched more and found Spinone were very similar

had trouble getting one for 2 years,

meanwhile 2 of my dogs passed away so I was feeling like the house was empty with just one oldie left

have always admired Vizslas, but thought maybe they were too boisterous for me

At a dog show I met a breeder who I had researched and she had a female pup ready to go and no home

Decided to have a look, fell in love, the rest is history.

I probably should have done more research as that's what I'd rec. others to do :D But I adore her and the breed and will never not have a viz!! Absolutely marvellous and perfect for me.

Then, my spin breeder had good news about a litter to be born, so I took a deep breath and a year later got my spin. Fantastic!! She is wonderful.

Now about that Bracci............ :scold: :D :laugh: (OH says NO MORE DOGS :eek: )

When I got my first Samoyed Mistral we had narrowed it down to either a Sammie or a Keeshond.

Both breeds require a good amount of grooming so that wasn't an issue for us and the Kees is only a little smaller then a female Sammie, size was never an issue anyway.

What it came down to for me was the barking!

I had met a few Kees and a few Sammies at that point and although not every Kees I have known is a problem barker it is something that could crop up and the pitch of the bark I almost felt my ears were going to burst. I didn't think I could provide the training that was required to have a quiet dog so I went with the Sammie.

Availability and cost. My first choices were breeds that were hard to come by and very expensive, however I didn't find this out until I was a few weeks into researching breeds.

My second choices took my husbands desires into account (didn't want a small dog and didn't want one that looked like an "alien", his words not mine) and so I broadened my criteria by quite a bit.

Also, I wanted a puppy sooner rather than later. I didn't mind waiting for a couple of months for a litter to be born but I wasn't prepared to wait for a year for a litter that might never even be concieved.

I stumbled across a local breeder who had a litter of Australian Shepherd puppies and went to have a look at them. We paid for the only boy left and collected him a week later. We now have two and they are the light of our lives.

They are not what I originally planned to own. In fact they are about as far from it as you can get. Had someone suggested them first up, I would have thought they were crazy. Too big, too active, too hairy. But I had to take my husbands opinions into account as he had to live with whatever I chose so I had to compromise.

In actual fact, they aren't big (more medium sized and the girl is a lot smaller than the boy), they aren't anywhere near as active as I'd imagined and their grooming requirements are much less than I'd thought.

And they were reasonably priced. I know in a perfect world, price shouldn't come into it but it does for a lot of people, and there is no way on this earth I would pay what some breeds are selling for. The best thing for me to do in that case was to cross those breeds off my list and look for something else.

Having always wanted a Shetland Sheepdog I had pretty much decided that it was going to be my next dog, until I got an email from Berri's breeder saying she has a pup I might like... A sable bitch, how could I resist? Plus I already knew the breed and how well it fitted into my lifestyle, less grooming, less barking (from what I hear about many Shelties), still a very clever and obedient breed. Plus the only thing better than a Papilon is two Papillons :D

I'd look at grooming and exercise requirements, trainability and personality. Meet as many of the breed as you can and work out which you "click" with. The higher tech version involves spending hours and hours looking at youtube clips of the breeds and getting to know their personality from there, you can learn a lot through youtube! Eg watching the Bull Terrier clips made me SO want a Bull Terrier, they are so funny! But at the end of the day a small dog suits my lifestyle better :D

Choosing is SOOO hard!! :thumbsup:

I managed to reduce my loooooong list to about 3 "sensible" choices.

I wanted a Golden Retriever but felt a pup would not suit my family.

A English Springer was an option but OH didnt like them so much.

A Finnish Lapphund was on my list but no litters were available when I thought we'd be ready.

Then fate stepped in and we were offered a young adult Golden and we now have the perfect dog for us!! :o

Oh Emm don't leave us in suspense.....WHICH 2 BREEDS ARE YOU TOSSING UP?????? :thumbsup:

I think the best way is for you to tell us which 2 and we will vote!!!! :o

Thanks guys for your stories. :) I guess fate/circumstance does tend to play a part a lot of the time.

I would be happy to wait for a pup (of either breed) if I felt a particularly breeder and dogs were exactly what I wanted.

I always imagined researching, making a decision, researching and then move towards getting to know some breeders. Do you think it comes across as indecisive if you tell potential breeders that you are still considering two breeds?

In my case the breeds are Miniature Poodle and Brittany.

I have met a handful of Minis, but quite a while ago and not whilst considering potential dog breeds. My cousin used to own one also and I remember her intelligence and active nature stood out to me at the time.

I have not met a Brittany, but I plan to be visiting some shows around the place soon, to see both breeds. I have a rather long time frame for my next dog, so it will be a while before I actually bring a dog into the family.

Monah, Spinone = :(

Edited to change a word.

Edited by Emm

You've chosen two very nice breeds there. A Brittany has been on my list of "could be's", along with a Welsh Springer. Nice dogs with a wonderful soft nature, so sweet and lovable. Mini Poodles are just little cuties, very clever and agile. I like a dog that doesn't need clipping personally though, a Pap being a good alternative for me :(

Things to consider are clipping and grooming with poodles, and the larger breeds will eat more, cost more to worm and to de flea etc, and if they ever have to go under anesthetic. If none of these things are an issue get out there and meet a few of each breed and see which one steals your heart (more!). Good luck :)

Thanks guys for your stories. :laugh: I guess fate/circumstance does tend to play a part a lot of the time.

I would be happy to wait for a pup (of either breed) if I felt a particularly breeder and dogs were exactly what I wanted.

I always imagined researching, making a decision, researching and then move towards getting to know some breeders. Do you think it comes across as indecisive if you tell potential breeders that you are still considering two breeds?

In my case the breeds are Miniature Poodle and Brittany.

I have met a handful of Minis, but quite a while ago and not whilst considering potential dog breeds. My cousin used to own one also and I remember her intelligence and active nature stood out to me at the time.

I have not met a Brittany, but I plan to be visiting some shows around the place soon, to see both breeds. I have a rather long time frame for my next dog, so it will be a while before I actually bring a dog into the family.

Monah, Spinone = :)

Edited to change a word.

I can highly recommend the Brittany. They are just a delightful dog to own. :(

Yes Em ;) spinone ARE wonderful wonderful wonderful!! Everyone loves my spin, even non dog people and kids who are scared of dogs.

As far as min poodle and Brittany go, WOW. I adore both and would LOVE either. A difficult decision, both very intelligent, great at dog sports, good looking,

comfortable size etc. All I can think of between the tow, and it may not even apply if can groom yourself (ooh. that sounds strange, I mean groom the dog yourself :(:laugh: ), is that it can be very expensive having a poodle clipped every so often, add up. Many people do their own.

What a difficult decision, both are also not that common either, although not rare.

I'm no help!! Get both :(:):) xxxxx