Any Way Of Keeping Neighbour's Cat Out Of My Yard?

chichihuahua

My stupid stupid STUPID moronic *insert adjective* new neighbours have a black cat that they let wander around day and night, doing whatever the hell it pleases. I live right next door and every second night without fail the cat will wander up along my house, past my windows, around the back and then up my porch with its bell ringing away loudly. It drives me nuts - I can hear the sound of its bell collar perfectly clear with my human ears so obviously the noise also riles my dog up. It's not pleasant having to placate a territorial barker at 3 am in the morning. At this hour, training is the LAST thing on my mind and more often then not I'm thinking murderous thoughts to said cat and said neighbours.

Is there ANY WAY, lord help me, that I can keep this pest of an animal out of my property?? I am thinking in the lines of some sort of cat repellent spray or something, maybe motion sensor lights?? I am seriously contemplating kidnapping the creature and taking it to the pound. I mean, obviously the owners don't give a rats arse about their pet in the first place and frankly it might scare some sense into them to oh I don't know, KEEP IT INDOORS. And I have talked to them about this issue with no results. I was also thinking I might take up banging some pans outside their window in the middle of the night and see how THEY like it (they have a dog too, who is more of a barker then mine so that should be very interesting).

What do I do??? I don't want to hurt the animal, I mean it's not the cat's fault that its owners are fricking imbeciles. I've called the council who has informed me that basically "cats roam/deal with it". It's absolutely a load of bullocks. I don't understand how cat owners feel so "entitled", just because they have a cat then they're somehow magically absolved of any responsibility and can do what they like. Is it morally wrong if I did kidnap the cat and drove it somewhere far, far away? Because really I can't see any other option for me to have a quiet night short of myself or them moving.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a cat owner I just cringe when I read stuff like this. I was under the impression that in Oz all domestic cats had to be kept indoors to protect your wildlife. For the life of me I can't remember exactly where I read or heard that.

I have a cat at my workshop (which is at my parents home) and she is in by dark every night and kept in! At my home I have 2 cats who are never allowed outside except on a harness and lead. I live on a busy road and fear for their lives, neither of them are street smart! However my neighbour is a lot like yours and his cat come over to "chat" with my cats on a daily basis, also at around 03:00! Max, fortunately, isn't into barking at cats thank the gods.

If/when you find a solution please share it ... I could also use some help!

ummmm how about talking to them?

Yeah it is wrong to take the cat somewhere else, actually that is criminal, how would you feel if someone did that to you dog.

Edited by sas

My Council has a different opinion to yours - it is not acceptable any more (or legal I thought) to have cats roaming at night. I had similar problems to yours and was about to get a trap from the Council when my neighbours moved. The cat it fought with, belonging to other idiots, got killed on the road one night. So unnecessary.

I had spoken to one set of neighbours and they were completely dismissive, cat did what it wanted and was a prolific wildlife killer which the neighbours were really thrilled about (yes, really!). THey thought it was great that he killed several birds a day, initially in my yard until I got my second dog, a ferocious terrier where cats were concerned and he didn't come back after that.

I bought dog repellent to keep my dogs off certain flower beds - it didn't work. Don't know if any cat repellent actually works, and those things are never permanent solutions because they wear off.

Edited by dogmad

hire a trap from the council, trap it in your yard and take to the pound.

leave a letter in there mail box to say where it is and why, if they collect the cat maybe they will keep it inside at night.

most council are happy to hire cat traps and if it is on your property it is a stray.

I am having the same problem with cats next door and I cannot and do not want to talk to my neighbours about it as the woman is a complete psycho...screaming her head off all the time, driving like a maniac in a small suburban street, on christmas eve the police paid them a visit. They have two cats and a dog and now have another (3rd!) litter of kittens. I have a garden bed out the front which has trees in it, in the vain attempt that I can grow a hedge. All of the cats use it as a kitty litter tray. I went out to check on the trees yesterday and over half of them are dying and covered in a mould type substance and the flies were just incredible. I am thinking of going to the nursery on the weekend and buying bigger already established trees and planting them and then putting chicken wire or something similar over the top of the garden bed. I have tried the repellants and the white pepper and nothing works. They also all get under our bedroom window at night and fight and carry on. I feel like going over there and just saying, Hmmm maybe my dogs can come and trash your garden and poo all over your lawn as thats what you cats are doing', but the psycho chick is totally unpredicatable!

We have a lot of cats in our area, and most of them roam around when they like. To be honest though, it doesn't really phase me all that much just because, firstly, we have next to no native wildlife here, it's all rats and mice, and then also the road is empty at night. I think it's terrible when people allow their cats to hunt native wildlife, but in my area, all they're doing is pest control.

Our 2 cats sleep with us at night, but it would be literally impossible for me to speak to everyone here who has a free-roaming cat, not to mention most of them would be very annoyed and argue that it was unnecessary to keep their cats locked up. So, I've made it very clear to the dogs that barking at cats is unacceptable.

I'd guess that this will probably be the most effective step you can take, just chuck a Cesar Milan type exercise, it took me literally about 10 mins to stop my dog from ever giving more than a warning bark before he quietens down.

I am having the same problem with cats next door and I cannot and do not want to talk to my neighbours about it as the woman is a complete psycho...screaming her head off all the time, driving like a maniac in a small suburban street, on christmas eve the police paid them a visit. They have two cats and a dog and now have another (3rd!) litter of kittens. I have a garden bed out the front which has trees in it, in the vain attempt that I can grow a hedge. All of the cats use it as a kitty litter tray. I went out to check on the trees yesterday and over half of them are dying and covered in a mould type substance and the flies were just incredible. I am thinking of going to the nursery on the weekend and buying bigger already established trees and planting them and then putting chicken wire or something similar over the top of the garden bed. I have tried the repellants and the white pepper and nothing works. They also all get under our bedroom window at night and fight and carry on. I feel like going over there and just saying, Hmmm maybe my dogs can come and trash your garden and poo all over your lawn as thats what you cats are doing', but the psycho chick is totally unpredicatable!

try setting rat traps in the garden bed, no bait and under your bedroom window, they won't come back if they tread on one

try setting rat traps in the garden bed, no bait and under your bedroom window, they won't come back if they tread on one

Ooh that's a good idea! I'd feel like crap if one of the kittens got one though....but it IS driving me mental! :(

Ooh that's a good idea! I'd feel like crap if one of the kittens got one though....but it IS driving me mental! :(

if they have small kittens wondering they need a good kick up the ar@# but try mouse traps then as they wont damage a kitten. as you may have gathered I believe cats should have the same rules as dogs and be kept at home unless on lead.

hire a trap from the council, trap it in your yard and take to the pound.

leave a letter in there mail box to say where it is and why, if they collect the cat maybe they will keep it inside at night.

most council are happy to hire cat traps and if it is on your property it is a stray.

It is not a stray if it belongs to your neighbour. Its theft.

Setting a mouse or rat trap is cruel, will be painful & if they don't take the cat to the vet, if caught, it will suffer badly.

If there are no laws as they don't have them in all states you will just have to figure out a way to keep the cat out by scaring it, not hurting it or make your dog not react.

This is most annoying & not fair on you, your dog or the cat. Owners fault.

Maybe try a lawyers letter. Not expensive & maybe it may intimidate them.

Doubt there is much you can do via them. They are obviously idiots.

chichihuahua, What area are you in, as dogmad says it is illegal to have cats out after dark, and that's every state in Australia from my understanding. My mad cat is in every night, even though she drives us mad, But she gets locked in the laundry about 11pm (that's after roaming the house crying out Loudly to go back outside for 2 hours) and let out about between 6 and 7am. I would be contacting your local council again as well as federal and also try the RSPCA.

Then again I agree with others here about your right to peace and quite, :( .... Catch the damn thing and take it to the pound. chances are they don't have it micro chipped as they don't seem to care about it at all.

I am a cat lover, but I believe that everyone has the right to peace at night. If only I could call the council about the neighbours who scream and carry on at his kids. :)

When it comes to the cats peeing and pooping in your garden bed, try a mixed spray off citronella and water. Not sure of the mix but works well with dogs and fleas I'm told and might keep your mozzies down :laugh: ... wouldn't use rat or mouse traps, could cost you at the vets in the end (they do hurt cats/kittens)

I wish you luck with the cat issues, nothing worse then a roaming cat tormenting a dog and yourself over night.

Do not set up a rat trap, that is awful and cruel, it is the owners fault, not the cats.

Maybe go to the owners or send a letter saying that you have rat traps set up and you have seen their cat on your property on a daily basis and its only a matter of time before the cat is injured.

If you can be bothered, squirt the cat with water when on your property, they hate the shock of it, or invest in one of those scatcat cans and set it up in a particular spot where you know the cat goes, they work wonderfully!

Edited by jata

Cat trap and take it to the pound. It's what we do here, with councils blessing

ETA: No one should have to go out of their way , spend their money or invest in gadgets to keep roaming cats off their property.

Cat traps are easy and effective

Edited by SBT123

All states in Aus have differing cat laws and some councils have no cat by-laws at all.

In SA you can hire cat traps from the council and when you have caught the cat, either the council rangers will come and pick it up from your place and take it to the pound or you can do that yourself.

It is not illegal to do this, the cat is on your property and as long as you are doing it legitimately, using a council trap, minimising hurt to the cat etc, it is all fine.

It might be worth a call to your council to see if they hire out cat traps, if the neighbour wont listen to you, then maybe some impound fees will open up their ears.

The other approach you could take is to call the council and ask to speak specifically to a ranger, explain your situation and see if they can offer any advice. The cat is disturbing your peace and creating a nuisance which under most state's animal laws would be illegal.

ETA: No one should have to go out of their way , spend their money or invest in gadgets to keep roaming cats off their property.

hiring traps and driving to and from pounds is going out of your way and not so easy if the cat outsmarts it.

First- BREATHE..

Anger is not really what you need now- it is calm planning and thought.

Please do NOT set rat traps :( They can break a cat's foot/leg!

Kidnapping/stealing someone else's pet is just WRONG.

Obviuosly the owners DO care- cat has a collar and bell- which many do not...so many people still believe it is cruel to keep cats indoors at night, as cats are nocturnal,and the 'wild side' of them needs to roam....

I would suggest speaking with them... calmly...

I would also suggest ,instead of phoning council, have a look at the websites.. see if there is a cat curfew law in place. Some folks who answer phones have no idea :)

if there is a curfew in place- then by all means trap/impound cat.

if not - then perhaps you can still trap it- or get one of those water squirting /motion activated things ;)or befriend the cat and remove the bell!

Edited by persephone

hiring traps and driving to and from pounds is going out of your way and not so easy if the cat outsmarts it.

Set properly and baited with a can of sardines, you will catch the majority of cats within two days. :(

I managed to get all of the one's that were coming onto our property in the space of a couple of days and none of them have been seen since.

Set properly and baited with a can of sardines, you will catch the majority of cats within two days. :(

I managed to get all of the one's that were coming onto our property in the space of a couple of days and none of them have been seen since.

Damn you need to offer your services to the CPS :) They are always looking for new recruits!