Sox's Painful Ordeal

Teebs

http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/news...al/1728632.aspx

Sox’s painful ordeal

BY LISA COX

19 Jan, 2010 11:42 AM

CRUELTY to pets is not the sort of thing mother of three Cassie Goodlock ever expected in Orange.

But when the west Orange resident’s one-year-old cat Sox went missing last week, she was forced to reconsider.

The black and white rescue cat disappeared for nearly 24 hours last Thursday and appeared unwell when she returned on Friday morning.

Mrs Goodlock took Sox to Orange Veterinary Hospital, where an examination found all of the cat’s claws was missing and had likely been removed.

“The vet said the only way they think someone’s done it is with pliers,” Mrs Goodlock said.

“I started crying.

“I just didn’t think this would happen where I lived. There’s obviously someone sick out there.”

Mrs Goodlock reported the incident to Orange police on Saturday and the matter has also been referred to the RSPCA.

She said Sox was on painkillers and antibiotics and it was possible the claws would never grow back.

“She loves being outside and now we have to go out with her and watch her,” she said.

“If she got in trouble she wouldn’t be able to help herself.

“I just don’t know why someone would do this.”

Orange Veterinary Hospital vet Bob Garvin said although it was difficult to determine if the claws had been removed deliberately, it was unlikely Sox had lost the claws on her own.

Dr Garvin said cats generally lost only one or a few claws as the result of trauma or being trapped in a room.

Orange police detective inspector Jason Puxty said he had not encountered a similar case before.

“It’s probably not a matter that’s often reported to police but it should be and we want to emphasise that with people,” he said.

Detective Inspector Puxty said police were investigating the case and appealed for anyone with information to come forward.

He said aggravated cruelty to animals was an offence which carried up to two years’ imprisonment.

A friend of mine, her cat went missing a few days ago... came home with a few claws missing, the police believe it is the same person who got this cat.

So many cowardly creepy scumbags out there doing things like this to innocent animals. It really is time the Police and the system in general got tougher on them. This isn't only about the animals - this is about sick psychos who are capable of anything -against anyone - if they can do this sort of thing.

About 20 years ago our family cat disappeared for a couple of days, returning with a large wound to her abdomen.

The vet said it was most likely a stab wound, done deliberately :thumbsup: not from a fall or other accidental means. Tough little bugger survived (and lived to 22), but it was an early lesson in keeping cats confined to the indoors or an enclosure.