Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

Hi

Well we finally decided the time had come to adopt a puppy. I had done some research and have been waiting about 12 months to finally decide on a breed that we believe would suit our family. We decided on a Miniature Pinscher. I have approached breeders this week and a breeder has indicated that they will have a litter in July and pups should be ready by September. OMG! I'm so excited. Although I have been a dog owner in the past it's been 6 years since I had a dog and our hearts ached for a long time after we lost our last dog (she was a Pit Bull).

So now I am waiting, excitedly reading about bringing home a puppy, refreshing my knowledge :D It's like starting over, I'm trying to absorb as much as I can, and although I have just about exhausted reading absolutely everything about the breed I'm always on the look out for more information. But I think I have the breed information down pat now it will be bringing home a puppy and guiding her. Also preparing for the puppy to come home, lots to organise, but I just can't wait.

So the count down begins...... 4 months to go..... :cooldance:

Welcome Lee-Ann,

I've had a MinPin previously, he was a fun little dog, although there was NOTHING little about him. I don't know how many times other dogs tried to dust him up. (I don't think they thought he was another dog :( ) He took it all in his stride. :D

My BIGGEST not fun thing about him was an atrocious recall. Simply awful. The handful of times he snuck out the door way as people were going in or out were breath holding moments. We did get him to a point where he was more responsive, and then he would do his..."They beat me" act. Which we had never, ever done. :laugh:

That's a long wait for you! I've been waiting 5 weeks so far, and I have 14 sleeps to go.

I'm getting a Rottweiler. :D (Her name shall be Willow)

How Funny, we too had tossed around the idea of getting a Rottweiler we absolutely love the breed, and I'm sure in the future we will get one, I definitely love Rotti's but we had to take into account several things that made us decide that a smaller dog would be more suitable.

Four months is a long wait, there is a breeder that has puppies ready soon, but I wanted to really prepare the kids and the house etc.

Now thinking of a suitable bed and space where to put the little puppy. Whether to build a pen or just isolate the pup in one room? Any recommendations would be helpful.

You are lucky not long for and you will have your fur baby

I love Min Pins, particularly chocolate & tans. :love:

I prefer a pen to a separate room, that way the pup is still part of the household and can get used to your coming and going. We have open plan kitchen / lounge / dining and his pen is in the lounge. We enter the house through the kitchen so he's always part of everything and can see what's going on. :) I can also see him so for example right now he's trying to pull the velcro tabs off his crate so at least I can see to tell him off. :laugh:

What vaccs will he have had when you pick him up?

Just don't put him down, I only put Nacho on the consult table and they're wiped down with bleach between consults.

He had his first vac yesterday which I'm guessing was a C3? I'm not sure though but will confirm on Saturday when I pick him up.

And definitely won't be putting him down anywhere until after his 12 week vac.

He has one outing planned for Saturday - probably go and watch my brother play rugby at the Victoria Barracks and then he might come with me when I get a haircut. Monday I have off but will take him to visit my work.

Exciting!

Edited by smashtank

The excitement of waiting for puppies is infectious, isn't it? :laugh:

I'm jealous of everyone who is a day or so away from getting their puppies. :(

Dory has been getting loads of cuddles lately, I'm a bit nervous about the change that is going to happen to the dynamics of the house. I'm confident this is going to be a positive change in the long run. But I KNOW the short term it's going to be a major pain in the butt, and I'm not talking about adjusting to a puppy. Dory is a resource guarding sod, which involves her dashing about body blocking others away from her 'stuff'. I'm part of her 'stuff'. I see lots of crate time shared evenly between Dory and Willow for a little while.

Good thing there is no TV programs I am particularly attached to, there won't be a lot of uninterupted TV viewing for a while. Not that there ever has been! :laugh:

I remember being in your shoes once everyone ! biggrin.gif the last few days/nights are the worse!

One more sleep Cassie wohoooo !!

Miah's breeder brought Miah to us and i even went out and brought a few purple balloons and stuck them to our front fence for her breeder to find us easily laugh.gif which she did !

I also gave her a cute thank you card when i handed the money over to her in it ;;-)

ps; DTDO it does take some time to adjust for the rest of the fur family, even for us humans . Theres a thread in here by Moospup that she was asking for some advice about this :) http://www.dolforums...-resident-dogs/

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Not long for some of you! That's the hardest thing for me Dory, trying to manage the new dynamics. If only it were insta-love for everyone. :o

I'm much happier this morning. Slept straight through from 10.30 til 7, got up for a pee and a poo (him not me!), a little cuddle time on the couch and then back to bed (me)/crate (him) for an hour, no protests. :D :D

i remember those mornings moosepup !! i started watching those breakfast morn shows on tv laugh.gif

Gah...Nooooo......

I watched a bit of Mel and Koshie this morning, it is NOT one of my regular habits I can assure you and I flicked the TV off pretty quick after one too many flinches at Koshie's stupid statements.

I always thought he was a bit of a dick...but when did he get the enlargement?

Seriously, if he had've said some of that stuff to me you would've seen my face hardening up in anger and offense and you might notice me subtly sitting on my hands so I wasn't tempted to clock him one.