Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

I went for Petplan's standard plan $49 per month for a Siberian Husky. Budget plan was $45 Does anyone know if they pay anything towards the puppy's 3 vaccination?

and

If your breeder is registered with them you can get 6 weeks free cover, if not and they fit their registered breeder requirements, they can fill out a form and you can get the free cover, this needs to be done by the breeder and is pretty simple. This must be done prior to you picking up the pup.

Failing this you can get 4 weeks free cover if you go through your Vet. I am not sure if they need to be registered with PetPlan - best to check.

Edited by Yonjuro

I think we pay the same for the standard plan for our lab - $49/month. They definitely don't pay anything towards the vaccinations.

We got the 4 weeks free though our vet, which was wonderful when our pup got giardia and had to have an overnight stay for fluids etc... so so so glad we have insurance. Also, the one through the vet is only for puppies, and the cover starts almost immediately, whereas if you sign up normally there is quite a long waiting period for illness - maybe 3 or 4 weeks? can't remember exactly. You could probably call petplan and ask which vets near you offer that cover.

thanks everyone! i will ask the breeder if she can help me out with the 6weeks free.

I was thinking to have the supreme plan...i might be too extreme hahaha...but having recently been in hopsital myself and my "budget plan insurance" didn't cover my hospital fee, i took too the highest cover these days.

I have been reading this morning of the petpplan policy which not cover the routine checks. And i am thinking to got to this vet which not far from where i live & work: http://www.glenirisvethosp.com.au/offers/#offer-1, whom offer: Annual vaccinations and health checks for life for just $450

so this could save me a bit.

Anyone else in Melbourne that has used this Glen Iris vet?

thanks everyone! i will ask the breeder if she can help me out with the 6weeks free.

I was thinking to have the supreme plan...i might be too extreme hahaha...but having recently been in hopsital myself and my "budget plan insurance" didn't cover my hospital fee, i took too the highest cover these days.

I have been reading this morning of the petpplan policy which not cover the routine checks. And i am thinking to got to this vet which not far from where i live & work: http://www.glenirisvethosp.com.au/offers/#offer-1, whom offer: Annual vaccinations and health checks for life for just $450

what if you move? what if you decide not to vaccinate every year? I found the tiny bit insurance companies covered for the routine things was way over the cost of a yearly check and vaccination, not that I do them.

Awww, how exciting.... more new puppies for us to watch grow up :thumbsup:

Monchichi.

The main thing we underestimated with our first puppy was how much mischief he could get up to. We puppy-proofed, then again, then got on our knees and did it again- it WAS SAFE- or so we thought- mouse bait long forgotten under the fridge, moth balls in an obscure corner in a cupoboard (never thought he would eat moth balls- the "throw up" stench at the vets was awful, and a house guest who forgot to close a door and almost lost some medication. But he got better, and so did we. We armed ourselves with Vicks Vaporub to smear on anything he may chew,he would not go near it, and watched him every second.

This time around we have used a crate, and a playpen, and our lives are all so much safer and calmer. We pop him in his "bedroom" when we can't watch him, and know he is safe, and he loves it, in fact when I have a nap, he slides out of bed and goes to his crate, or whimpers until I bring it in- so much for a bed buddy :cry:

Good luck, and use DOL as a sounding board, and a bragging board, we love to hear about them all.

Di

First post and to say Thank you for the suggestion of Vicks Vaporub.

Puppy is actually already home. But I had a missing link in making our lives easier. The Vicks will put an end to the chewing. :rofl:

what if you move? what if you decide not to vaccinate every year? I found the tiny bit insurance companies covered for the routine things was way over the cost of a yearly check and vaccination, not that I do them.

I guess with that price, even if I move, I had already save some money for routine care. But good point though, as I haven't thought if i'm moving. Hope i'm just moving within the area :D

I'm under the impression that dog needs or better be vaccinated every year...just to prevent any issue? I might be wrong...please correct me :)

and as this will be my very first puppy, i don't have much experience yet and no idea on how much vaccine & health check will cost me.

vaccinations are a slightly contentious issue around here - I'm sure someone will fill you in :)

At the very least you will need 1, probably 2 vaccinations while your pup is small, then another 1 year later. After that, some people prefer not to vaccinate again, but the standard protocol (which your vet will suggest) is yearly vaccines forever.

Edited by aliwake

Generally 3 puppy vacs, yearly booster, then it's when people get confused as like Aliwake says it's a contentious issue. You can do yearly or three yearly vacs (see what your vet recommends), or titre test instead and only vaccinate when immunity levels have dropped.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Meeting my puppy for the first time on Sunday :D

All going well I should have him around the second week of May. Sooooo excited, this will be the first puppy of my own! We've always rescued dogs in the past.

I've gone a bit nuts buying things hehehe will have to post a pic later.

Meeting my puppy for the first time on Sunday :D

All going well I should have him around the second week of May. Sooooo excited, this will be the first puppy of my own! We've always rescued dogs in the past.

I've gone a bit nuts buying things hehehe will have to post a pic later.

How exciting!

What breed?