Diatomaceous Earth

AustGirl

Don't use pool grade or you will kill your animals it has to be human grade. I haven't ever shopped for it but have read alot about it and the benefits (ie flea/tick and worm control) as it is widely used overseas by those that don't like using poisons on their dogs. They usually get it from health food shops so you might want to try there. If you do find somewhere here that has the human grade I'd be interested to find out as I've never enquired about it here.

Whilst I am personally convinced it will work (along with shampoo-ing and spot on treatments - I just want something else more natural to use alongside the chemicals) .... Anyone had any first hand experience with using Diatomaceous Earth to control fleas inside/outside the home and on their pets?

I am on a Yahoo list called "Healthy Aussies" which is more into holistic and natural treatment and feeding and they swear by it as being very good. I actually find Apple Cider Vinegar in my dogs diet as well as mixed with water and sprayed on the coat a great flea deterrent and haven't had an issue for years with fleas, it also stops alot of other summer bities like flies on the ears.

I always have a big bottle of it as it has so many great uses, for both human and animals.

Yep, tried it and it didn't work. It offered minor, very temporary relief and made dog's coat feel overly dry. I wouldn't bother if I were you.

What did work was lemon-scented myrtle essential oil. I dabbed some on some cloth and tied it on the dog's collar. She hated the smell, but it definitely made a difference. This was last summer before Comfortis when flea bombing the entire house only kept the fleas down for a week and none of the spot-on treatments worked anymore.