Help! Renting With Animals.

grabit

I am a veterinary nurse living in southern metropolitan SA. I am looking for a rental property around the Ascot Park area for under $300 a week it must be pet friendly with a medium to large back yard and long term, I am a responsible animal owner with a long list of references to back this up if you know of or own any properties that fit this discription I would be very greatful for any help. My daughter (11) and I as well as our animals are at risk of becoming homeless in the near future.

Select agency on Frome Rd in the city did pet friendly rentals.

Check if they are still there. My nephew got his rental through them. Big dog.

There are a few real estate agents in Adelaide that do them.

Thanks, will try them

This website might help -

http://www.petfriendlyrentals.com.au/

Has anyone used this when looking in Sydney??

I am looking for a place now that will take a small dog and a cat. I troll through realestate.com and domain.com every day and i would be lucky if every second week there is an add that even mentions pets.

We have applied for a few that say they allow pets, but when we ask why the application was declined, they say that the owner preferred non-pet tenants. What makes it even harder is my partner doesnt want to leave the eastern suburbs so we are restricted that way as well.

House hunting is horrible!

Nush - Dont just apply for ones that mention pets, just cause they dont mention them doesnt mean they dont accept them :thumsbup:

True. If you find a place... there is no harm in calling them up and asking if it's pet friendly. Some will say no straight away, and some will ask about the pets and stuff. then ask the real estate people if they know any pet friendly rentals around there. good luck Nush!!

Nush - Dont just apply for ones that mention pets, just cause they dont mention them doesnt mean they dont accept them :thumsbup:

True. If you find a place... there is no harm in calling them up and asking if it's pet friendly. Some will say no straight away, and some will ask about the pets and stuff. then ask the real estate people if they know any pet friendly rentals around there. good luck Nush!!

Exactly... I'm about to put my house on the rental market and I don't plan on advertising it as pet friendly. However if the right tenant comes along who happens to have a dog I would probably say yes provided they have pet references.

Exactly... I'm about to put my house on the rental market and I don't plan on advertising it as pet friendly. However if the right tenant comes along who happens to have a dog I would probably say yes provided they have pet references.

Where about Macka?

Edited by charleswentworth

Hi Pockets,

I'm not just looking at places that advertise as pet friendly. I ring up about anything that is suitable, with my fingers crossed. Most just say out right no. I have only had 3 that said yes, 2 of which were eventually leased to non-pet households and the other one didnt have any outside area (no balcony / courtyard) not sure what they thought i was going to do with a dog all day.....

Its just such a slow process. I guess we are lucky in the fact that we arent in any rush to leave where we are, I am in a rush to get a place so that i can start looking for a little furry friend, but if it takes us 6 months no big problem.

I also think it is harder cause we dont actually have dog yet, so no references or anything. I guess i just get disheartened by all the rejection.

I think that pet friendly website is a little bit of a waste of time in a way as the vast majority of ads won't mention pet friendly, but they are often considered on application. The only way is to ask.

Where about Macka?

North Rocks. Will be available from 20th Feb. I may post a link next week when the ad is up.

I will have a 4 bedroom house available in about 2-3 months but it is in the North Eastern suburbs, so it is in the wrong direction.

What a pity ....don't suppose you could just move the house for me :thumbsup: I have to stay in the area because being a single mum as well, i am currently reliant on one particular friend to care for my daughter while I am at work. She won't be able to continue if i don't keep my daughter at the same school as herswhich would result in me losing my job.....catch 22

This website might help -

http://www.petfriendlyrentals.com.au/

I found that so helpful when I was looking. Saved hours of scrolling through each rental to see if they were dog friendly.

Big thumbs up from me. :thumbsup:

Hope things work out for you grabit ... must be a scary time for you.

A little scary ....but mostly just angry .....when i moved into this house (co-op housing) they knew i had animals and told me they where a pet friendly co-op.

The first problem that was raised with me was the number of animals i have which "surely would upset the council," I knew this was not the case as i had already checked council regulations before moving in.

I have since been blamed for the Rats living in the back yard ( which i have since erradicated) even though the neighbours where prepared to put in writing that they pre existed me by several years.

There was also a huge ruckus about a few square feet of lawn dying, again blamed on my pets but infact due to poor drainage in winter, (is now regrowing).

And after all that when i offered to sit down and talk about it with them and see if we could work work out what the problem was ( after asking many times and being told there was no problem with noise, smell or hygiene), and how we could fix it I was given a letter that stated they would not be renewing my lease :rofl: , my rent is always paid 3 weeks in advance and the place is kept neat and tidy....I have never had a problem with private landlords and agents and have fantastic referances ....I really can't understand why I am being kicked out :(

Where about Macka?

North Rocks. Will be available from 20th Feb. I may post a link next week when the ad is up.

Hi. I'd be interested if you could send me the link ;)