Trauma After Dog Attack

WreckitWhippet

There's no excuses for roaming and manacing dogs. Average Joe is growing ever less tolerant of it and rightly so :laugh:

Trauma after dog attack

SARAH DEAN

21 Jan, 2010 10:51 AM

A LAVINGTON woman can no longer walk her dog to the corner shop after a rogue Staffordshire bull terrier savagely attacked her Jack Russell.

The incident at the weekend has left Monica Field and her dog, Lucy, traumatised.

“The next day she could barely get out of bed and she was very quiet and timid, which is very out of character,” Ms Field said.

Ms Field had been walking Lucy down Schaefer Street in Lavington on Saturday morning when the terrier, without a collar or lead, raced across the road and became aggressive.

Should Staffordshire bull terriers be added to Albury's dangerous dog list

“I honestly thought it would kill my dog; I feared the dog would go for her throat,” she said.

“The dog was looking for a fight and I am just glad my dog did not retaliate because it could have escalated.”

Ms Field said she tried to stay calm while shooing the dog away and kept walking.

“It kept lunging and snarling at us and we sought refuge in the front of a house but no one was home,” she said.

“We continued another 150m to the (corner) shop, with the Staffordshire following, the whole time terrorising us, just looking for a fight.”

Ms Field said at no time was her dog aggressive towards its attacker but it did get bitten on the rump.

“In hindsight I believe we were saved by the fact that I stayed so calm and Lucy did not retaliate,” she said.

Safely inside the shop, Ms Field told the shop owner who said the dog had been roaming around the area for at least two hours.

The council ranger was called but Ms Field said the dog had been picked up by its owner by then.

A council spokesman said council was not aware of any other recent dog attacks by Staffordshire bull terriers and said the particular breed was not listed on Albury’s dangerous dog list.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/local/ne...ck/1730368.aspx